My home metwork is soooo slow. any help?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a windows xp laptop and vista pc and xp pc all on a network. it used to go very fast when i'd select a file from another computer (only use the network for excel and word files)

Now, when i goto network places, it takes a good 60 seconds to display the computers. then to select a file from them takes at least 60 seconds per click...so if its buried within 4 folders, it can take me a while to get to it...if it doesnt freeze!

this used to happen if my pc im pulling from was asleep...but they are all powered on and running...and run ning quickly if you use them directly

any suggestions?

Nope. Thank goodness for my $10 USB flash drive, which I presently use for file transfer instead of a home network.

If you can direct most files that you would "want" to share with another PC on your little network to just one directory, (youngsters prob call them "folders") and have an organizational structure you need beneath this level, call them subdir's or sub-folders, then you can just right click and create a shortcut directly too the shared file location on the other PC or PC's. This skips the whole need for your network to investigate anew and list all possible network resources. It should speed direct access up a bit.

As to transfer rates, that's limited by your Network bandwidth. If there is wireless involved or not, 10 or 100 meg nics if wired, etc.

JonnyM

The slow response could be caused by a number of things.

I usually start with a question. What changed when the problems began occurring. What was installed, what configuration options did I change, etc...

If the answer is nothing, then I start isolating things and testing to see if I can isolate the problem.

If you cannot isolate it fairly quickly, I would suggest that you seek help on a technical forum that discusses networking problems... there appears to be several.

Good luck.

Like Chinaco, I'm sure that there could be many explanations. Here's one to consider.

Have you mapped any drives that are no longer available? I work with a small network (VLAN actually, 6 computers) with a folder on each machine mapped as a drive on all of the others. If one of the 6 machines is turned off network operations on all of the others slow to a crawl.

Happy hunting. You may learn a lot tracking this one down.

You could have a name resolution problem (converting windows PC name into IP address).

Try to access the other PC with it's IP address.

From Start-> Run... type in \\IP.IP.IP.IP of the PC you want to get to. That should be pretty fast.

If it isn't you may have an user account or permissions problem.

Back
Top Bottom