My last day of w*ork

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all,

My last day of w*ork is this Friday:D. In my agency, most people send a goodbye e-mail out to everyone. I'm trying to think of what to say. While I'm very happy to get away from several unpleasant people, I really do like most of the people I w*ork with. I would appreciate any thoughts you have on what to write in my farewell e-mail.

People I've worked with, even when they are escaping horribly dysfunctional company politics or brutal inhuman bosses, always send a positive note about appreciated the chance to work with all of the great people and thanking everyone for a such a great opportunity. Then provide some contact info for anyone who wants to stay in touch.

In most fields, it's remarkable how often paths may cross again in the future. Best to be positive and not become known as the infamous flamer who sent a few zingers as you were going out the door.

Hi all,
My last day of w*ork is this Friday:D. In my agency, most people send a goodbye e-mail out to everyone. I'm trying to think of what to say. While I'm very happy to get away from several unpleasant people, I really do like most of the people I w*ork with. I would appreciate any thoughts you have on what to write in my farewell e-mail.

(Edited to add: By the way, CONGRATULATIONS! :D )

I would just say that your xx years with the Department of Whateveritis were interesting and rewarding, but that as eventually happens for everyone, your time has finally come to say good-bye. Say that you got to know many terrific people that you will miss. Include one brief sentence saying that you plan to spend more time with your family (or fishing, or climbing the Alps, or whatever), and that you will think of everyone often and that you will be sure to come back to visit now and then. Thank them all for enriching your life over the years.

In other words, don't write it for the unpleasant people. They don't deserve it. Write it with kindness, for those who will miss you.

Last edited:
I would just say that your xx years with the Department of Whateveritis were interesting and rewarding, but that as eventually happens for everyone, your time has finally come to say good-bye. Say that you got to know many terrific people that you will miss. Include one brief sentence saying that you plan to spend more time with your family (or fishing, or climbing the Alps, or whatever), and that you will think of everyone often and that you will be sure to come back to visit now and then. Thank them all for enriching your life over the years.

In other words, don't write it for the unpleasant people. They don't deserve it. Write it with kindness, for those who will miss you.

Well put! I agree...and include an email address or other contact info if you'd like to hear from any of these folks in the future!

Then, have fun as you start the rest of your life! And welcome to the "other side!"

When I left work, I only send emails to those whom I really had something to say. Mostly, it was thanking them for help in my career. The rest...well, I didn't plan on seeing them again.

Congratulations on your last day of w**k!

I would keep all parting comments on the positive side. Look at it this way; "you will be remembered by those comments". How do you see yourself being remembered by those whom you have spent many years working with?
I say "best to be remembered as the nice person that you are". You are leaving that atmosphere behind so nothing to be gained by you, or those remaining if you say something questionable. You most probably will see many of them in the future anyway, so no need to be concerned about past comments.
That is the final "promotion" of your career, so go out with Class!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom