Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My New Ad Blocker Sheriff in Town
Old 08-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My New Ad Blocker Sheriff in Town

Crept up on me the past couple days realizing that the cherished uBlock Origin ad blocker stopped working with Firefox. When I looked further at the extension, UBlock Origin is marked as Legacy by Firefox and not active. Looks like the folk at Mozilla are making "improvements" for the future so newer releases of Firefox won't break the extensions if extensions are "Compatible with Firefox 57+".

To make a long story short, I went looking to see what other decent blocker is out there that's compatible. I'm still partial to uBlock Origin. But for now, just installed Adblocker Ultimate which seems to work okay and is similar to uBlock Origin.

There's a new sheriff in town, at least until uBlock Origin becomes compatible (fingers crossed).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

You might try "about:config" and flipping "extensions.legacy.enabled". I didn't dig into it, but apparently you can update uBlock and then flip it back (or something along those lines).

As a bit of a rant, Firefox craters add-ons all the time. It's really a PITA for most of us, but it's good to move the Firefox platform without getting dragged-down by backwards compatibility. For me, I don't let Firefox upgrade itself. So for me uBlock Origin is still happy. I usually wait some time, then upgrade Firefox manually and see how many add-ins cratered. If I wait a month, usually my add-ins all have caught-up.

That being said, uBlock Origin will continue to work on Firefox. It's being actively developed. But it's an open source, community project, so might not be a perfectly smooth ride.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You might try "about:config" and flipping "extensions.legacy.enabled". I didn't dig into it, but apparently you can update uBlock and then flip it back (or something along those lines).

As a bit of a rant, Firefox craters add-ons all the time. It's really a PITA for most of us, but it's good to move the Firefox platform without getting dragged-down by backwards compatibility. For me, I don't let Firefox upgrade itself. So for me uBlock Origin is still happy. I usually wait some time, then upgrade Firefox manually and see how many add-ins cratered. If I wait a month, usually my add-ins all have caught-up.

That being said, uBlock Origin will continue to work on Firefox. It's being actively developed. But it's an open source, community project, so might not be a perfectly smooth ride.
Thanks for the suggestion. Since the Adblocker Ultimate extension seems to be working fine, I'm happy with just using this for now. But will probably switch back to uBlock Origin when they make a compatible update.

I agree too that a good choice by Firefox, despite the growing pains.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It seems to be working for me with FF version 55.0.3 64 bit.

Or am I being fooled?

I like FF due to its cross platform abilities. Otherwise, I would probably stick with Safari. Chrome? It has its uses.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
It seems to be working for me with FF version 55.0.3 64 bit.

Or am I being fooled?

I like FF due to its cross platform abilities. Otherwise, I would probably stick with Safari. Chrome? It has its uses.
I'm on 55.03 32 bit.

If you go look at the extensions area, do you see a label marking uBlock Origin as legacy? I've attached a screen shot of my ad-ons installed.

I noticed there were more ads sneaking in my browsing, that's when I checked and saw the "legacy" label (uBlock Origin shows as disabled. I set to disabled as I just installed other blocker installed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (179.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

A newer version of uBlock Origin is available. No more legacy. The old sheriff is back .