Join Early Retirement Today

Mister Wet Blanket
Old 10-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mister Wet Blanket

I'm enjoying all the mischievous responses on this thread, but please do NOT act on the silly ones.

A year from now whatever the new micromanager does or says won't matter. What will matter is that you remained professional all the way to the end.

One of the first threads I responded to when I joined this forum was started by a member who wanted to go out with a bang. She desperately craved giving her jerk boss a public performance review on her last day. Ultimately she thought better of it, and departed quietly. She reported here afterward that she was glad to have left as a class act.

Now, as long as you resolve to keep the wild ideas strictly inside your head, let's return to the whoopee cushions and exploding cigars. Nothing beats good old sophomoric fun!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

i could not even imagine myself in SALES, OMG... if you have your date for AMF, your golden, string him along!
f35phixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I can completely relate!

I had one foot already in retirement earlier this year, when senior management of another company came calling (I know all the regional folks very well) with a great offer. I agree to come on board short-term to help them - 6 months to a year and they understood.

On my second day there, while I'm out in the field, the national guy, who I don't know, calls me to tell me he's flying in the next day to go over some groundrules and that I should pick up this case study on the printer in my office, for us to go over the next day!

Sure enough, he flies 2,000 miles into my region and locks me in in a conference room for 8 hours quizzing me on this 50 page case study that he expected me to read in its entirety. WTF!
I'm an executive in my profession, fairly well-known in my field, and this national guy is pontificating for 8 hours how great he is and that this case study is actually about him and how successful he (thinks he) is! I was treated like a college student getting quizzed on the case study on minutia that I never read, like "when Mr. Jones, met the client, what was the first thing he asked?!!

While this is going on, people in my local office who are walking past the conference room - you could see in from the outside are smirking - apparently they know this guy's reputation of being a complete blowhart!!

Anyway, I held my composure, went home, decided that since he wanted to repeat this performance on Day 2, I was not going to let it happen. So, I walk into the conference room first thing on the morning of Day 2 of his interrogation tactics, and told him I'm quitting because I've never worked with someone so pompous etc. (He doesn't know that I'm financially able to quit at any time). Now he's completely on the defensive - because if the President of my company found out, (who knows me too)he'd probably be looking like crap that they brought me in and I'm leaving on the third day.

Anyway, here's what happened. The regional office senior management team begged me to stay (they know this guy is a nutcase) and interesting enough since that day, I've had minimal to zero interaction with this "national" person. In fact, he actually asked someone else (who I respect) to deal with me directly so things are better.

So Florida Tennis Player, isn't it great to be in the driver's seat. If they would have canned me or if I quit, no big deal at this point, right?
Alvin Tostig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

patience
Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I am a bit surprised that nobody suggested that OP not do a lot of extra work and hope he gets a severance package... might be better than working another half year...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #46

I have been on both sides of that. The latter for many years. Just part of the occupation. I thrived in it.

Most especially at quarter or year end when the revenue, profit or growth targets are soft or worse in doubt.

Take it from me, your boss is probably under a lot more pressure than you are!

Use him while you have him. Take him out to see some clients, perhaps some deals that are in play. Get him to make some customer commitments that he might otherwise make if he was not face to face with the client. Make lemonade out of that lemon.

Get a commitment from him to come back out to the field and spend time with you and with customers. After all, that is where it happens. If he is worth his salt he will enjoy getting away from the loonie bin at HO, Country, or Region and in to the field when he cannot be pestered. And just as important, try and learn even one thing or get one good suggestion from him that can improve your performanc/numbers, or job satisfaction.

He will thank you for it! He is just another sales resource in your bag of tricks.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Start the day with.....

“Be ready to leave at 7am. Empty your bladder before we leave cause we won’t have much time for that.... and make sure you pack a lunch because every minute counts”.

Have fun trying to out Type A your new boss. Before you go in for each visit, pass him a red tie and say it’s most effective for sales or tell her that her hair is just a bit out of place/lipstick slightly smudged.

2020 or bust!
Or
Perhaps 2021...2022...NVM
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
After thirty-one “performance reviews”, my answer to “Where do you see yourself in five years?” was “The f*** out of here!”...
I remember when I was 50 that we had our annual meeting at The Breakers in Palm Beach (nice place BTW)... I was FI by then but had a good gig going and a great boss... we got along well and he valued my contributions.

One morning at breakfast we were just chatting and he casually asked something along the lines of what my retirement plans were... I responded along the lines of "Ah shucks, I dunno... probably somewhere between zero and five years". He just about choked on his OJ... I think he was surprised that it might be so soon.

Anyway, I never got the "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" thing ever again after that.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

We all have stories to tell here, but, OP, just remember...don't burn any bridges before you exit. Like said above, be professional all the way.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

When I was near the end of my career facing an unpleasant day, I just mentally asked myself “will this matter at all when I’m 70 and sitting on my porch watching the sunrise.” The answer is always “not at all, probably won’t even remember this.” And I felt better.

You should throw something together to prepare just out of self respect, but no need to stress or knock yourself out. Being unprofessional isn’t the answer, even if the other party is being a complete a$$hat. You want to leave with no regrets about how you conducted yourself.

Does the new buck know you’re retiring?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone. I just put together a stellar territory analysis. Took me 3 hours.

Love the comments. What a great place this is. Yes he knows I am retiring in March. I am also taking the first 18 days in November off. Going to Florida. Entire family going including the dog.

I will post back tomorrow night and let you all know how things go tomorrow.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #52

My guess is that he thinks because you are retiring that you are going to slack off from now until March. That will affect HIS numbers, and he wants to make sure that doesn't happen. Spend the time talking about how many deals you are going to close this year and in Q1 next year. Tell him you plan to go out at the top of your game. If there are specific people that you think will do a great job picking up where you left off, let him know and tell him you hope to take those people with you on your last round of sales calls. That should calm his fears.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

something to make you smile ( a timeless classical )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #54

Relax. You are making too much of it.

Fire drills like this should be 'old hat' to you since you have been in the game so long.

Besides, what is the worst thing that can happen? You get fired and you get a package that takes you to retirement?

My regional GM position was eliminated when I was approaching 59. Everyone felt bad for me-except me. Two years or of severance including bonus took away the tears and the anxiety. I was on cloud nine until after the settlement but had to keep quiet.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Thanks everyone. I just put together a stellar territory analysis. Took me 3 hours.

Love the comments. What a great place this is. Yes he knows I am retiring in March. I am also taking the first 18 days in November off. Going to Florida. Entire family going including the dog.

Gosh, if he knows you are retiring, then this should be all about transition planning, no?
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

About 8 years before retirement I had finally had enough. I actually blew up very publically at my boss and stormed out of a meeting. It was just before my holidays and I stewed the whole time. Actually, I was ashamed of my behavior. Yes, he deserved it...but I was the one who had lost control and to me...that was worse than anything I could think of.

I did return to work, somehow made my peace with him and he retired two years later. I even went to his retirement party and shook his hand in congratulations. I retired last year...but on my own terms and it felt good going out with the respect and well wishes of my colleagues.

I am not sure what actually happened to lead up to my blowup. He had his supporters and I had always been one of the hard-working types who went along to get along. But he had finally pushed one button too many for me and I just went over the edge. Having that temper tantrum was not worth it for me. I guess I valued my reputation too much to get any enjoyment out of it.

So, I would also caution you to take the high road and be professional. The work world is small....and you never know. You just might want to get back into that environment and if you burn any bridges...those doors will be closed to you forever.
spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post

now to find a dead deer for your back seat.

say nothing about it at all. Just act natural. Be careful where you put your briefcase. I thinks it's still bleeding out a bit
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #58

Absolutely. Never, ever burn a bridge. Petulance is not for professionals.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
now to find a dead deer for your back seat.

say nothing about it at all. Just act natural. Be careful where you put your briefcase. I thinks it's still bleeding out a bit

If I may follow up on my dead/not-dead deer story:
(sorry for the tangent...and I swear I'm not making this up!)

The deer was now thrashing around in the back seat. We drove out to the woods somewhere and he dragged the deer out of the car. The thing started walking around, kind of dazed. It was badly hurt.

Then it got even more interesting: My rep had put a length of 4" stove pipe inside the engine compartment, cut a hole in his glove compartment and was able to slide a rifle through the glove compartment and into the stove pipe for holding.

Well, seems that the bullets he brought were not for the rifle he had and so, with a baseball bat............

An interesting road trip.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
If I may follow up on my dead/not-dead deer story:
(sorry for the tangent...and I swear I'm not making this up!)

The deer was now thrashing around in the back seat. We drove out to the woods somewhere and he dragged the deer out of the car. The thing started walking around, kind of dazed. It was badly hurt.

Then it got even more interesting: My rep had put a length of 4" stove pipe inside the engine compartment, cut a hole in his glove compartment and was able to slide a rifle through the glove compartment and into the stove pipe for holding.

Well, seems that the bullets he brought were not for the rifle he had and so, with a baseball bat............

An interesting road trip.
So did he take the deer home? You know to eat?
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote