My new Type A tightly wrapped manager is riding with me all day Wednesday!

Thanks everyone. I just put together a stellar territory analysis. Took me 3 hours.

Love the comments. What a great place this is. Yes he knows I am retiring in March. I am also taking the first 18 days in November off. Going to Florida. Entire family going including the dog.

I will post back tomorrow night and let you all know how things go tomorrow.

My guess is that he thinks because you are retiring that you are going to slack off from now until March. That will affect HIS numbers, and he wants to make sure that doesn't happen. Spend the time talking about how many deals you are going to close this year and in Q1 next year. Tell him you plan to go out at the top of your game. If there are specific people that you think will do a great job picking up where you left off, let him know and tell him you hope to take those people with you on your last round of sales calls. That should calm his fears.

Relax. You are making too much of it.

Fire drills like this should be 'old hat' to you since you have been in the game so long.

Besides, what is the worst thing that can happen? You get fired and you get a package that takes you to retirement?

My regional GM position was eliminated when I was approaching 59. Everyone felt bad for me-except me. Two years or of severance including bonus took away the tears and the anxiety. I was on cloud nine until after the settlement but had to keep quiet.

Thanks everyone. I just put together a stellar territory analysis. Took me 3 hours.

Love the comments. What a great place this is. Yes he knows I am retiring in March. I am also taking the first 18 days in November off. Going to Florida. Entire family going including the dog.

Gosh, if he knows you are retiring, then this should be all about transition planning, no?

About 8 years before retirement I had finally had enough. I actually blew up very publically at my boss and stormed out of a meeting. It was just before my holidays and I stewed the whole time. Actually, I was ashamed of my behavior. Yes, he deserved it...but I was the one who had lost control and to me...that was worse than anything I could think of.

I did return to work, somehow made my peace with him and he retired two years later. I even went to his retirement party and shook his hand in congratulations. I retired last year...but on my own terms and it felt good going out with the respect and well wishes of my colleagues.

I am not sure what actually happened to lead up to my blowup. He had his supporters and I had always been one of the hard-working types who went along to get along. But he had finally pushed one button too many for me and I just went over the edge. Having that temper tantrum was not worth it for me. I guess I valued my reputation too much to get any enjoyment out of it.

So, I would also caution you to take the high road and be professional. The work world is small....and you never know. You just might want to get back into that environment and if you burn any bridges...those doors will be closed to you forever.

now to find a dead deer for your back seat. :LOL:

say nothing about it at all. Just act natural. Be careful where you put your briefcase. I thinks it's still bleeding out a bit

Absolutely. Never, ever burn a bridge. Petulance is not for professionals.

now to find a dead deer for your back seat. :LOL:

say nothing about it at all. Just act natural. Be careful where you put your briefcase. I thinks it's still bleeding out a bit

If I may follow up on my dead/not-dead deer story:
(sorry for the tangent...and I swear I'm not making this up!)

The deer was now thrashing around in the back seat. We drove out to the woods somewhere and he dragged the deer out of the car. The thing started walking around, kind of dazed. It was badly hurt.

Then it got even more interesting: My rep had put a length of 4" stove pipe inside the engine compartment, cut a hole in his glove compartment and was able to slide a rifle through the glove compartment and into the stove pipe for holding.

Well, seems that the bullets he brought were not for the rifle he had and so, with a baseball bat............

An interesting road trip.

Last edited:

The deer was now thrashing around in the back seat. We drove out to the woods somewhere and he dragged the deer out of the car. The thing started walking around, kind of dazed. It was badly hurt.

Then it got even more interesting: My rep had put a length of 4" stove pipe inside the engine compartment, cut a hole in his glove compartment and was able to slide a rifle through the glove compartment and into the stove pipe for holding.

Well, seems that the bullets he brought were not for the rifle he had and so, with a baseball bat............

So did he take the deer home? You know to eat?

So did he take the deer home? You know to eat?

Yep! He dropped it off with some guy who dresses them and then off we went to do some technical sales...like nothing ever happened.

There I was, 30 years old at the time in a $3000 suit standing in some guy's farm yard as they unloaded the deer into a big bucket loader.

It may/may not have been in season as it all seemed to be on the Q.T. but it was a long time ago.

Last edited:
There I was, 30 years old at the time in a $3000 suit standing in some guy's farm yard as they unloaded the deer into a big bucket loader.

Not to mention the look on your dry cleaner's face when you dropped off the suit covered in blood and leaves!

Comedy gold Jerry :D:D:D

https://youtu.be/j0qm0KUPeD8

You're killing me Smalls

Picked him up at 9am, dropped him back to his car by 1:30.

Took him to our top prescribers large practice . We hung out in the break room and as each physician and nurse came by...each one gave me a hug. We love Rod. All female office. The top endocrinologist comes in at the end, hugs me and then keeps her arm hooked around mine as he blabs on.

We leave and when we get outside he says, “Man! They all really like you. I mean, they really like you! I’ve never seen anyone with that strong of a relationship. You are like family.”

We got to lunch, just small talk. Then he says, “Uh, I have a conference call this afternoon, you can take me back to my car. Keep doing what you are doing for the next 5 and a half months.”

I don’t think he had a conference call.

Sounds like the strong love from the customer took all the air out of his balloon:LOL:

Picked him up at 9am, dropped him back to his car by 1:30.

Took him to our top prescribers large practice . We hung out in the break room and as each physician and nurse came by...each one gave me a hug. We love Rod. All female office. The top endocrinologist comes in at the end, hugs me and then keeps her arm hooked around mine as he blabs on.

We leave and when we get outside he says, “Man! They all really like you. I mean, they really like you! I’ve never seen anyone with that strong of a relationship. You are like family.”

We got to lunch, just small talk. Then he says, “Uh, I have a conference call this afternoon, you can take me back to my car. Keep doing what you are doing for the next 5 and a half months.”

did you have to double back and pass out gift cards to the staff? :D:dance::dance:

Your manager gave up at 1 customer? Weak sauce :cool:

So did the boss pick up the lunch tab? :cool:

14 months to go for me, my boss is half my age, I have learned to just keep my BS going at a high level, I tried to educate her on some life lessons, but these millennials are a completely different breed and I am scared for the future of our Megacorp, not only are they running the Company but also ruining it.

I agree with the comment to just find a way to relax, change focus, and have fun with it. You have nothing to lose at this point. Do a human experiment. Focus not on yourself and your "numbers" but on him. Keep switching the conversation to him--his goals, his life, his family etc. Observe what happens.

Wise words.

Once you are past the financial freedom point, time to switch to compassion for all who are still under the gun.

Try to give the new manager ideas to improve his sector’s performance.

You may also need his reference for a fun low stress gig post retirement.

Be wary that he may be looking to push you out early.

Any manager worth his salt knows which people he needs to ride, and who are his best producers. A good manager knows each person's motivation and will listen to all his best salespersons' ideas understanding that 98% are self-serving BS, and 2% are solid gold.

Usually the old pros are the ones who you can learn the most from. No need to piss them off as long as everyone is acting professionally. The echoes of losing a top salesperson can resonate for a long time and your manager will want to minimize that impact.

(It's a lot better than being the veteran short-timer who sandbags for a couple of years before retirement knowing he's bulletproof. Those people are killers for morale and a life-suck for managers trying to whip a dead horse.)

It sounds like you'll have all the room you need to maneuver up until the end. You might even have an opportunity to suggest some changes that would improve things for your team after you're gone. I'd be very surprised if you didn't have any good sales ideas that could make you and the company more money. New blood has no sacred cows. You have nothing to lose if you have some 2%-quality ideas. Your new boss may want some early wins with the team and his new boss.

Good luck, and don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out!

Last edited:
Hey everyone...we returned Saturday night from 18 perfect days in SW Florida. Oh man how I hated to leave. The grandkids absolutely loved it.

So, I get an email Saturday afternoon from wonderboy Tony Robbins wannabe new manager. “Hello Rod, I Hope you enjoyed your vacation and are ready to finish the month strong. I will be doing a field ride with you Tuesday and Wednesday.”

Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom