Join Early Retirement Today

My new Type A tightly wrapped manager is riding with me all day Wednesday!
Old 10-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My new Type A tightly wrapped manager is riding with me all day Wednesday!

I am in medical device sales. High pressure and high stress from physicians and from megacorp for more sales. Neither is ever happy.

Got a new manager. Calls me today and says, “My name is XXX and I will be in the field with you all day on Wednesday. We will review your sales numbers. I want to see your action plan for finishing the year strong and a complete territory analysis.

Normally I would stress out, and be way over anxious. However, I am retiring in March and just don’t give a sh.t anymore. Every once in a while today I would start to stress out and think about putting all this data together then reminded myself I could quit tomorrow if needed. I’m tired of being stressed out all the time! So I told myself NO MORE. I’ll throw something together and that’s it. Tired of giving them my life.

Just wanted to vent in a forum of people who have been where I am.......in the final battle.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Take a deep breadth and relax.
Next winter in Fort Myers.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Putting things in perspective. The closer you are to your FIRE date, the more humorous your new manager's Type A personality seems .

If you haven't already, get a good count down timer app that shows how many days til you say "take this job and ...." as a reminder that there is light at the end of the tunnel .
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

You were expecting your "new" manager (who is making his mark) to perhaps call you and say hey we're going out Wednesday for beer & brats?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Might be a good day to call in sick, if dealing with the boss is going to cause you stress.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I knew I could count on this place for some awesome responses!!! keep them coming!

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 10-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Take a deep breadth and relax.
Next winter in Fort Myers.

I thought about that numerous times today!

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 10-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

Find a way to have fun with it. Is there one client on your route that you have a really great relationship with? Maybe rope them in to help out on that visit.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Makes me think of Office Space. Yeah, we’re gonna need those TPS reports on Wednesday. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #10

As I guy that let the FI cat out of the bag too soon, I feel for your situation. Tell yourself it just doesn't matter, repeatedly. 2 1/2 years out from ER I'm removed from the angst of moving on. However if I were in your situation, just milk it out. Take the plunge to retirement on YOUR terms. If your ready go for it.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Makes me think of Office Space. Yeah, we’re gonna need those TPS reports on Wednesday. Good luck.
Or m favorite - " you've been missing quite a bit of work lately- (response) - well I can't say I'm missing it"
Old 10-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
OMG!!! Don't forget the cover sheets!

Seriously, we've been there. Temperament and some greased BS will get you to March.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #13

I agree with the comment to just find a way to relax, change focus, and have fun with it. You have nothing to lose at this point. Do a human experiment. Focus not on yourself and your "numbers" but on him. Keep switching the conversation to him--his goals, his life, his family etc. Observe what happens.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #14

Loved the response about calling on friendly clients... fake it till you make (to March)...you probably busted your butt for them so you can easily reconcile coasting..
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
I am in medical device sales. High pressure and high stress from physicians and from megacorp for more sales. Neither is ever happy.

Got a new manager. Calls me today and says, “My name is XXX and I will be in the field with you all day on Wednesday. We will review your sales numbers. I want to see your action plan for finishing the year strong and a complete territory analysis.

Normally I would stress out, and be way over anxious. However, I am retiring in March and just don’t give a sh.t anymore. Every once in a while today I would start to stress out and think about putting all this data together then reminded myself I could quit tomorrow if needed. I’m tired of being stressed out all the time! So I told myself NO MORE. I’ll throw something together and that’s it. Tired of giving them my life.

Just wanted to vent in a forum of people who have been where I am.......in the final battle.
I had a similar, dissimilar experience.

My VP decided he'd like to be an instant technician and advise a group of seasoned IT professionals, who had worked 14 hours understanding the data issue, what was wrong with a system. "Obviously a hardware problem"! After his stupidity and personalized azzchewing I became "done".

I was going to do OMY to age 57. I spoke with my Fidelity guy, his opinion was if you're okay at 57, you're ok at 56.5. Honestly some of the best advice I'd ever received!

Leave when you want. If you are good in March, you're good now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #16

From MRG: Leave when you want. If you are good in March, you're good now.

+1. If you are sticking around for a year end bonus, etc don't overvalue it. If you're good and your sh!t filter is full, just go.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Leave when you want. If you are good in March, you're good now.
I was thinking the same thing unless that screws him on some benefits. But probably just best to throw some bs at the guy and cruise to the finish line.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #18

Perhaps it is an opportunity for you to teach him how to deal with a short timer.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #19

Don’t get stressed, get even, haha that’s what I did, play along with the game until March. Don’t forget there’s an F in FI.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
I will be in the field with you all day on Wednesday. We will review your sales numbers. I want to see your action plan for finishing the year strong and a complete territory analysis.
If you want to retire early, just say, "No thank you, I'm too busy selling to baby sit you all day!"
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote