Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I interpreted Fuego's original comment:

This thread has managed to remain amazingly civil. Your use of pejoratives and ad hominem attacks like "stupid" and "ignorance" in response to a perceived offense does little to enhance the quality of your defense of your position.

As for gambling, bars, insurance fraud, and under-the-table deals... I suspect that's not a racial demographic.

I also don't agree that Wall Street and big business are "run by Caucasians". Plenty of exceptions to sweeping generalities.
Agreed, I shouldnt have use the "STUPID" word. That said, there is nothing civil about calling the majority of an ethnic group (even a small group) "low moral". It's just wrong. I'm not sure how many of those few hundred Asians he/she (Fuego) personally knows?. As for the Wall Street frauds, it's a well known fact. The point I was trying to make is the fact that most (not all) big Wall Street firms are run by caucasians but we should not assumpt that all caucasians are crooks because of a few bad apples.
huusom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huusom View Post
Agreed, I shouldnt have use the "STUPID" word. That said, there is nothing civil about calling the majority of an ethnic group (even a small group) "low moral". It's just wrong. I'm not sure how many of those few hundred Asians he/she (Fuego) personally knows?.
I'm just sayin' that I think he's referring to the individuals and their behavior in making his conclusion, and that I think his conclusion has nothing to do with their ethnicity.

You don't know these people, I don't know these people. He may not know them either, but after reading a few thousand of his posts I think it's unlikely that he's resorting to racial profiling. I'm willing to cut him a break in a difficult situation.

Quote:
As for the Wall Street frauds, it's a well known fact. The point I was trying to make is the fact that most (not all) big Wall Street firms are run by caucasians but we should not assumpt that all caucasians are crooks because of a few bad apples.
Once again I'm just pointing out that fraud is an equal-opportunity exploiter and has little or nothing to do with demographics.

Kinda ironic that you use the word "caucasians", because I'm of the opinion that very few of them think of themselves that way. WASPs, Catholics, Christians, Jews, Ivy Leaguers, Eastern European, Central Europeans, Russians, Southerners, Midwesterners, Texans, Westerners... but probably not caucasians.

... just like Cambodians, Laotians, Vietnamese, Thais, Koreans, and Japanese feel the pride of their own identities.

Perhaps it's a little more straightforward on these islands where no one demographic of anything is a majority.

Except maybe surfers. But just longboarders, and definitely not boogie-boarders.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agreed, I shouldnt have use the "STUPID" word. That said, there is nothing civil about calling the majority of an ethnic group (even a small group) "low moral". It's just wrong. I'm not sure how many of those few hundred Asians he/she (Fuego) personally knows?
Let me reiterate, I am not familiar with most Asian populations in America, or even most Asian populations in my own city. But I know quite a bit about the Cambodian and Laotian community in my city. The old joke "they all know each other" is quite true. They all know each other. We go shopping at one of the 4-5 local asian grocers, and they know who we are, we know who they are. They show up to the parties DW's family goes to (or throws themselves). Some of DW's family works for some of their family at some other business. People know each other - it is a highly integrated, close knit community of people, just not really huge in this area. So I either know these people, or hear about them second hand from someone who knows or is acquainted with them. That's not to say I have done a demographic study or anything scientific. But the US Census isn't going to reveal the depth of knowledge that I have regarding THIS SPECIFIC COMMUNITY OF ASIANS IN MY CITY.

Without a doubt, there are plenty of upstanding members of this specific community. But in general, the typical person from this community has a different set of values versus what I observe among members of the middle and upper middle class that I am exposed to elsewhere.

Is it racist if I were to say "I have experience with the inner city public housing residents of a particular city in which I live and I am intimately familiar with this community. This community is comprised almost exclusively of a certain single racial composition (X race), and drug abuse, violent crime, gang warfare, etc etc are commonplace and the perpetrators of these crimes are placed on a pedestal for their actions. Thus is the way of life in this community of X race people. The X race community here isn't very large, but I know a lot of them have less than noble values and morals."

Edit to add: I looked for US Census data by zip code or city, and can't find how many Laotians and Cambodians there are in my area. If we have an average concentration of them based on the overall US population, there would be under 1000 here. My guess is areas closer to Asia (ie west coast like CA, WA and OR) has a higher proportion, and my east coast city has a lower proportion of Laotians and Cambodians. Hence, I may know or know of over 1/2 of all the people from these national origins in my area. I would suggest that at some point when the sample size starts to approach the entire population size, you can start to see trends that develop (morals, values, etc) that you can infer across the whole population with some degree of accuracy. To refuse to draw conclusions in the face of lots of data of this type just seems ridiculous. So call me a racist if you want, if that is what my attention to reality is. Since you don't personally know or know of all members of all Asian communities, let alone very many of my particular asian community, I would suggest to you that I have a better grasp of the generalities of this particular asian community with which I am very familiar.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #224
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I think I have posted here about taking the IRS up on that 10-15% finder's fee for tax fraud. I'm still not sure how to monetarily value my kneecaps should word get back to these crooked folks who the rat is.
$10,300 /.15= $68,666...

Should be able to find that much unreported taxes on winnings in SIL's poker group...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

But, but, but...

$10,300 - 4 wheelchairs = ?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but...

$10,300 - 4 wheelchairs = ?
Hey, once the free health insurance kicks in during 2014, I should get some free knee replacements and some free wheelchairs, right?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

OK. How do you get around until then?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #228
gone traveling

Quote:
OK. How do you get around until then?
SIL still has her SUV...
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Apparently while out strawberry picking, my 5 year old launches into a tirade against SIL about how gambling is bad, she is bad for gambling, and she needs to stop.
Maybe she realizes that her college fund is on the line.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Maybe she realizes that her college fund is on the line.
Or her inheritance. I'm sure one day soon she will add "Daddy, stop pissing away my inheritance" to her tirades.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Fuego, I would limit my family contact with this group. Their bad behavior may rub off on my children.

As stated in this forum, I am a naturalized citizen of an unnamed origin (perhaps Mars, and who hasn't heard of ruthless Martian crime gangs :-), so nobody can accuse me of being prejudiced. But as Leonidas pointed out, there are bad pockets in any ethnic group. For example, if I were of Italian origin, I would not want to see my children growing up in scenes depicted in the movies "The GodFather".

Old 04-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fuego, I would limit my family contact with this group. Their bad behavior may rub off on my children.
We stay away from the worst of these people. We have made it known that they are not welcome at our house.

Agreed - they are not who we want our kids emulating.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm... Shouldn't a mod be the bookmaker? Or someone who has posted his/her picture so that we would know who to track down if he/she skips town? Someone like T-Al or Ha?
I just now remember that Fuego has also posted his photo, taken with Sarah! Of course there's Nords. Added to the list of self-outed members are freebird5825 and R-i-T, and davemartin88.

Do I miss anyone else?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #234
gone traveling

Quote:
I just now remember that Fuego has also posted his photo, taken with Sarah! Of course there's Nords. Added to the list of self-outed members are freebird5825 and R-i-T, and davemartin88.

Do I miss anyone else?
Moemg, RiT and FD come to mind. and we've seen half of Ziggy and HFWR...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

I just remember donheff, and of course Alan.

Never saw photos of Moemg nor HFWR. FD as in FinanceDude or FireDreamer?

And our lively bbbamI flashed her bitty bitty icon photo some time ago.

There should be a thread with links to these photos.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Moemg, RiT and FD come to mind. and we've seen half of Ziggy and HFWR...
We've seen your smile....

Quote:
And our lively bbbamI flashed her bitty bitty icon picture some time ago.
Geez...I'm glad you said bitty....
Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #237
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Geez...I'm glad you said bitty....
oh, but for a simple typo...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #238
gone traveling

Quote:
I just remember donheff, and of course Alan.

Never saw photos of Moemg nor HFWR. FD as in FinanceDude or FireDreamer?

And our lively bbbamI flashed her bitty bitty icon photo some time ago.

There should be a thread with links to these photos.

be careful what you wish for...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fatguy_surfingweb-235x300.jpg (19.8 KB, 173 views)
Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #240
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a golden oldie of lunch with REWahoo, Leslie, and SC:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ER lunch with REWahoo, Leslie, SC, Nords.jpg (92.4 KB, 12 views)
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gambling, intervention