Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations!! Will you find out genders pre-delivery?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

One thing I learned when I had two little ones at home: the price of child care in your own home is about the same as two in day care. If you can find a good in-your-home care giver your life will be so much easier.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Congratulations!

One thing I learned when I had two little ones at home: the price of child care in your own home is about the same as two in day care. If you can find a good in-your-home care giver your life will be so much easier.
Day care for us is $25/day/child, so $250/week. $13k a year is not enough for wife to not work, and I make more than she does- right now. I'd fully expect wife to make more than me in around 10 years- she has more upper management potential.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

These next 8 or 9 months will be the longest two years your wife will ever spend!

(This will make sense around month 6-7 when she looks (and feels) ready to deliver, she can't get comfortable, everyone is afraid to get into an elevator with her in case it gets stuck and they have to "assist", and she knows she still has weeks to go).

Many day care providers in this area give a 10% discount for a second child. Be sure to line up the child care well in advance. You and your wife will have a hard enough time leaving the kids - but some of these places are scary. Get references from family and friends, check you state's license and complaint data base, know what licensed refers to (In FL most of the requirements reflect the physical setting and not the quality of care, state mimimum staff ratios are a joke. We also have registered, which only means the person signed up on a list...)

And nothing beats drop in visits so you can see first hand.

The most important item I had was a McClaren side by side stroller - a wonderous piece of engineering - sturdy, mobile, lightweight, a snap to set up and take down --- and pricey - so I found one used and when my brother asked what to get me, I had him make that my gift. I also bought 2 cribs, changing table and dresser used - found 1 crib and changing table at 3 months preg and a 99% look-a-like crib and dresser at 8 months - voila a complete matching room.

Have them share a crib until they are too big to fit safely and comfortably into one.

Keep us posted
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #25

daycare is her SIL. We trust her.

we had one crib, which was bought before we were married. Used for $300 from a co-worker which was moving. Dresser, Changing table, crib and mattress.

Getting a second crib is on our agenda.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
The most important item I had was a McClaren side by side stroller - a wonderous piece of engineering - sturdy, mobile, lightweight, a snap to set up and take down --- and pricey - so I found one used and when my brother asked what to get me, I had him make that my gift.
I have often wanted to ask -- is the side by side easier to handle than the "fore and aft" arrangement? No specific need for the information, just curious.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have often wanted to ask -- is the side by side easier to handle than the "fore and aft" arrangement? No specific need for the information, just curious.
there are functional and "psychological" reasons.

Functional: I like how the side by side uses the umbrella design and collapses compactly. They are also lighter. When lifting it into and out of the car with each trip into the grocery or day care - not to mention pushing two 25-30 pound kids in a 30 pound stroller while hauling the grocery cart, pocket book and diaper bag....heavy gets old really fast.

Also the McClaren are very mobile and agile. they meet ADA width requriements, and can turn on a dime -- gets through anywhere. The fore and aft, IMO, are not as agile and turn like the boat that they are.

"Psychological" The fore and aft works ok for close but different aged kids, where you can put the larger kid in the back, but with twins, generally they are about the same size. I didn't want one to always be seated "behind" the other - different view and difference experience and I didn't want to have to remember a schedule of "who is in front today"
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A SIL who you trust and who is willing to care for twins is a treasure. Don't forget to compensate her generously and consider encouraging her and your wife could line up a regular relief sitter so that she can have a break during the week.