My wife talks a lot...

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
and so do I. But mostly with her.

Most people describe me as on the quiet side. Same with the DW. But when we are alone together, be it floating in the pool or floating in a nice Malbec with dinner, she really talks -- rehashes her day, ventilates about some jerk she had to deal with, stream of consciousness about family issues, whatever. I basically do the same (well, OK, at least with my 20% of the discussion), though the topic might be either work (she can't get enough of that, and I really don't like to talk shop that much), retirement life, kids, whatever.

Another favorite talk-a-thon is our 50-60 minute evening walks every other day (I jog alone in between).

We spend hours talking. You'd think after knowing her for 41 years (38 married to her) we'd run out of things to talk about.

Just observing...

Hallmark of a contented marriage. Congrats to you. I hope we are doing the same after another 22 years together!

DH and I sit and talk all the time. My favorite is on long car trips.
I remember loving to go places with my dad for the same reason.
Cynics might say I like a captive audience.

Frank talks a lot, too. Sometimes I like to just listen as he goes on and on and he comes out with some of the most fascinating ideas!

We love to talk when we're together. He will drive around in his Murano or his truck, and we'll talk about anything and everything while we check out the rebuilding efforts in different neighborhoods throughout the area.

We especially love restaurants in which we can converse easily, and the wait staff doesn't interrupt our conversation too often.

Hmmmm...that's nice Rich. :)

I've been with DH for 33 years. When we get on a roll, we end up finishing each other's sentences. He's not much of a talker, but I prod him from time to time to get him going.

Speaking of prodding, is your avatar chipping away at your time on the j*b? Congrats on the 12.87% retirement. ;)

and so do I. But mostly with her.

Most people describe me as on the quiet side. Same with the DW. But when we are alone together, be it floating in the pool or floating in a nice Malbec with dinner, she really talks -- rehashes her day, ventilates about some jerk she had to deal with, stream of consciousness about family issues, whatever. I basically do the same (well, OK, at least with my 20% of the discussion), though the topic might be either work (she can't get enough of that, and I really don't like to talk shop that much), retirement life, kids, whatever.

Another favorite talk-a-thon is our 50-60 minute evening walks every other day (I jog alone in between).

We spend hours talking. You'd think after knowing her for 41 years (38 married to her) we'd run out of things to talk about.

Just observing...

We do quite a bit of talking while walking. Always find something to talk about. :)

My husband is in his early 70s and I am finding that my talking distracts him, particularly in the car. He really needs to concentrate on what he is doing.

DW talks a lot, but last night while watching "America's got Talent", she said "I've got something to say during the next commercial" I knew I was in for a long one. I think she talked for 2-3 hours straight after that.

DW does that too. I read in a book "that's what women do". It makes her feel better even if the talking doesn't accomplish or solve anything. A somewhat foreign concept to me but that's just the way she is. It took about five years to understand/accept it.

Rich and Wife having a nice chat.............

hqdefault.jpg

Your post made me smile, Rich. :)

dh2b and I just passed our 4 year mark yesterday. We are settling into that easy ebb-n-flow of talking that you describe.
I am told by his co-w*rkers and friends that he was pretty quiet in the pre-Freebird days, but now he has really come out of his shell. His boss jokes that he never shuts up and how do I stand it ? :rolleyes:
That I am making a positive difference in someone's life has to be of the best compliments I have ever received.
Me? I'm a motormouth. Always have been, always will be. I am focusing on being a better listener and try to be briefer in conversation length.
A little...maybe...sort of...:ROFLMAO:

Ditto here. We gab constantly although she does get POd when I keep going when she is trying to watch one of her TV programs.

To me, people who are perceived as quiet are the most interesting to talk to--they are listeners and thinkers, and when they share their thoughts (usually only with a spouse or a close friend), the conversations are amazing.

What exactly is that avatar shooting at? On my browser it shows as a small square with a red "X" in it.
I think it's just a "close window" icon.

But as bbbamI points out, maybe it's symbolic, like an avatar "ink-blot test," if anyone remembers back when we still had ink and still had blotters.

Or maybe an existential urge to close the window of life, or maybe raw rage at societal constraints. ;)

(Actually, I ran across it while browsing and it just caught my eye.)

I think it's just a "close window" icon.

But as bbbamI points out, maybe it's symbolic, like an avatar "ink-blot test," if anyone remembers back when we still had ink and still had blotters.

Or maybe an existential urge to close the window of life, or maybe raw rage at societal constraints. ;)

(Actually, I ran across it while browsing and it just caught my eye.)
Awwww...and here I thought you were being symbolic, mysterious and deep....that's a shame...;)

We talk about a lot of things but we are also comfortable with not talking. Early on, I think we were 19 or 20, we took a trip together that involved starting out at 4am and driving about 9-10 hours. We found we worked well together, had plenty to talk about but we also could be comfortable with long periods of silence. After that trip I knew he was a keeper.

I am kind of quiet,we just had are 35th last week.
My wife is a realestate agent,and yes she likes to talk.
Enough said.
Old Mike

Caution, its got rough language:

My wife and I joke about this one all the time, because we repeat the same stories all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom