Join Early Retirement Today

Nail Fungus?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Nail Fungus?

I am diabetic and has nail fungus inside my toe nails for several years. Doe anyone know a good cure for it?
Thanks
Raj Singh
rsingh6675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Raj,

There's no cure for it. I took some medicine a few years back and the first one the Doc gave me made me sick. Then he put me on another one for about 6 months and it went away, I was real happy. But it didn't last and in a few months it was back again.

Ya gotta live with it but I'd love to find a cure also.

Hey, maybe if you see your Doc you can take the medicine and it'll work for you, who knows?

I forget the name of the 2 medicines that I took.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #3

Best cure for it is to get it treated by laser. It is a one off treatment but costs about $1000. I have the same issue as I was unlucky enough to get it from a pedicure. Never again will I have a pedicure outside my house. I am using a paint on treatment, however too early to tell if it is working as you have to use it for a year. The other option is there is a drug you can take for 4 months that may or may not work.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I believe lamisil is one drug available for treatment. I think it can cause liver damage as a side effect, and it can be expensive. See your doc.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Try putting Vicks Vapor Rub on your nails twice a day. See if you notice any change after several weeks.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think I had nail fungus once, but I peeled off the entire toenail and soaked my foot in a bleach solution. A new toenail grew back in without any fungus.

I think we discussed all this a few years ago.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...gus-24305.html
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Put clear toenail polish on it once a week. Might help smother it.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

DD (who is not diabetic) took a prescription for nail fungus a few years ago with good results (i.e., there no longer is a fungus among us).

What does your doctor suggest? Talk to him/her about it.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
Try putting Vicks Vapor Rub on your nails twice a day. See if you notice any change after several weeks.
I second this one - my doctor suggested it, instead of a prescription. At night, wear socks to keep it on your nails. It's a very slow treatment but it really made a difference. The Vicks didn't quite "cure" it but I think that's because I stopped too soon. The nail wasn't quite normal when I stopped. I should have resumed it immediately but got out of the habit so now the fungus is back. But you will see a huge improvement if you keep at.
hguyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Simply wearing open-toed sandals, as much as possible, will help a lot.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #11

Lamisil was the first treatment I tried but it gave me very bad headaches. Don't remember the name of the second treatment I tried, it did work but the fungus came back.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #12

I have had success by dampening a cotton ball with either Peroxide or Rubbing Alcohol and putting on the nail post-shower for a couple of minutes while standing at the sink to brush my teeth, hair etc... It is not fast because the nails grow very slowly.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hguyw View Post
I second this one - my doctor suggested it, instead of a prescription. At night, wear socks to keep it on your nails. It's a very slow treatment but it really made a difference. The Vicks didn't quite "cure" it but I think that's because I stopped too soon. The nail wasn't quite normal when I stopped. I should have resumed it immediately but got out of the habit so now the fungus is back. But you will see a huge improvement if you keep at.
Here's a 3rd vote for Vicks Vapo Rub. Two years ago I posted about the unorthodox treatments described by The People's Pharmacy (see post http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...00&postcount=8) I tried the vinegar solution first and the only result was that I occasionally smelled like a greek salad. Next I tried the Vicks VapoRub treatment and it was a success. It took a long time, about six months or so, but my toenail fungus was completely gone and has not yet returned. Nowadays I regularly check my toenails so if it recurs I can re-treat it immediately before it gets entrenched again.

I don't know if this treatment works for everyone but it was cheap, easy and successful for me.

Best wishes,
--Linney
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
There's apparently some evidence that one of the ingredients in Vicks Vapor Rub, thymol, is effective against toe nail fungus. The entry for thymol in the Wikipedia has a brief paragraph discussing this, but it doesn't give any references.
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I used the vinegar method and it eliminated my toenail fungus completely. Here is the website where I read about the method, plus many other solutions including vick vaporub, etc.
barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #16

I had a nail fungus and talked to the doc about it. He said he could give me pills that might get rid of it, but because they could also have some nasty adverse side-effects he said he would NOT give me the prescription. Instead, he said to soak it in regular household bleach for a few minutes twice per day. I did as he suggested, and in a couple of weeks the fungus was all gone, and has not reappeared. That was about 4 years ago!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My physician recommended Tea Tree Oil. I have been using it for about a week and my husband hates the smell. Like Vick's it is very aromatic.

Husband has had awful toe nail fungus for years, it is amazing that I contracted it only after 35 years of marriage. He seems to be content to live with it, not me. I will try all the home remedies mentioned...

There is a private medical research firm in the Portland area researching a topical treatment for nail fungus. When I told my MD about it he observed that should be a very profitable product if it survives FDA trials.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Dang. Vicks or bleach. I wish I had known this a long time ago.

One great toe (only one toe!) had it bad. I caught it in the Army 40+ years ago. The doc convinced me to have the whole nail removed surgically. Everything is gone now.

(edit) I would rather have the toenails removed than take the medicine. I have also heard about liver damage. (Why is it that side effects of many of the new drugs advertised on TV include liver damage and death?)