Join Early Retirement Today

NASA Black Marble
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

NASA Black Marble

Earlier this month NASA released a high-definition view of the earth at night. This website has a very impressive viewer that allows you to scroll to any location on earth and zoom in to see more detail. As the website notes, you need to go full screen to really appreciate the view.

NASA’s Black Marble | Commercial & Editorial Dublin Photographer

While looking at the US I noticed an unusual concentration of lights in a sparsely populated area of south Texas where there are only a few very small towns. Took me a moment to figure it out.

In the image below, note the large crescent-shaped area south of Austin/San Antonio and west of Houston. Bragging rights to the first to correctly identify what this area is and the source of the lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NASA Black Marble.JPG (89.1 KB, 21 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is that the Eagle Ford Shale field where they are doing all the drilling and fracking?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Hey I win!

I just happened to know the geography of the shale oil field and that's exactly what the light pattern reminded me of.

After posting the above I googled "eagle ford shale lights at night" and got this: Eagle Ford Shale lights up South Texas as boom in oil, gas production continues » Corpus Christi Caller-Times

That blob at the bottom is my neighborhood! Most of it is the US side of the Rio Grande, and you can kind of "see" the east-west path of the river before it turns north, but the very bottom big blob of light is the city of Reynosa in MX.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #4

Sheesh. I should have excluded anyone who lives in south TX from the competition.

Yep, that's correct. According to the image below there are thousands of active well sites in the area.

The NASA image really gives you an appreciation of the activity level - and why there is a huge shortage of school bus drivers within a 250 mile radius.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EagleFordShalePlay120412-lg.jpg (193.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #5

BTW, you can also see a large area of lights in the Bakken shale field up in North Dakota...
Old 12-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
BTW, you can also see a large area of lights in the Bakken shale field up in North Dakota...
It took me a while, but I found it! That's a huge area of lights.

You can see the oil platform lights in the Gulf of Mexico, scattered south of NO.

And interesting, in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico is way lit up compared to the rest of the islands, LOL!

There is some great ball of fire off the coast of Mexico just northeast of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. I guess they have some oil thing going on there. Bay of Campeche offshore oil fields.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm - I guess only South Texans are interested in this topic . But I really appreciate the link to the NASA "black marble". DH and I really enjoyed browsing the Western Hemisphere. We really noticed how the lights in the US (and maybe Canada) were so much brighter than everywhere else.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

That is cool. Home sweet home (for now)...
Attached Images
File Type: png Black Marble.png (1.32 MB, 7 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That is cool. Home sweet home (for now)...
How did you get that pic? Did you just take a screen shot? I wanted an image of the Bay of Campeche lights off the Mexican coast but I didn't see an option.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #10

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
While looking at the US I noticed an unusual concentration of lights in a sparsely populated area of south Texas where there are only a few very small towns. Took me a moment to figure it out.
In the image below, note the large crescent-shaped area south of Austin/San Antonio and west of Houston. Bragging rights to the first to correctly identify what this area is and the source of the lights.
Well, if it had been a Friday night, I would've guessed any Texas high-school football stadium...

Dammit, left the lanai light on again:
Attached Images
File Type: png Hawaii at night.PNG (77.5 KB, 3 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote