Join Early Retirement Today

National Park Etiquette
Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

National Park Etiquette

Am I missing some thing or do we need to start giving etiquette lessons to people who visit national parks?

This thought occurs to me for several reasons. Two are recent incidents in Yellowstone where one group intentionally wandered off the boardwalks to video themselves next to hot pools, geysers, etc. This was a clear violation of the warnings and maybe even the law. The other is the unfortunate death of a young man who fell into an acidic hot pool and was dissolved.

At other times in other parks I see people walking past ropes into meadows that are off-limits, people cut the switchbacks on trails, and don't even get started on how people get dangerously close to animals for photos and feeding. Then there are the dog owners who take their pets on trails in violation of the rules and often off-leash.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Administrator

Humans have been around for over 100K years, and first started breaking rules about 5 minutes after the first rule was made. Some people can't help themselves. Darwin Awards take care of others. The rest sort of fall in the middle.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Am I missing some thing or do we need to start giving etiquette lessons to people who visit national parks?

This thought occurs to me for several reasons. Two are recent incidents in Yellowstone where one group intentionally wandered off the boardwalks to video themselves next to hot pools, geysers, etc. This was a clear violation of the warnings and maybe even the law. The other is the unfortunate death of a young man who fell into an acidic hot pool and was dissolved.

At other times in other parks I see people walking past ropes into meadows that are off-limits, people cut the switchbacks on trails, and don't even get started on how people get dangerously close to animals for photos and feeding. Then there are the dog owners who take their pets on trails in violation of the rules and often off-leash.
I think Darwin has a habit of straightening things out. Whether it is a bison, or a hot water pool, it works. Even Dean Potter found out why the park service bans certain activities.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You mean something like this:

Old 06-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It's everywhere. Not long ago on a state park trail I frequent, I saw 2 guys who had crawled over a fence so they could get a closer look at a gator. How stupid is that? This is the gator.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-08_09-38-04_884.jpg (180.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You can't fix stoopid. With the direction that society seems to be taking the family of that young man will probably sue the park service and win.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Chuckanut - I hear you and agree with you. I hope these idiots don't make things even more restrictive for the rest of us. Often areas are roped off to allow meadows to establish/not get trampled, etc... Legitimate reasons. But some people blow it and the next step may be keeping the rest of us back even farther.

The same people who break the rules in the park probably don't follow rules when driving in traffic.... you know the folks... the ones who feel that the shoulder is a lane created just for them during stop and go traffic. The ones who feel that a 4 way stop always results in them being the first through the intersection...

Darwinism will only correct so much...
Old 06-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We were in park in FL , and the folks in the office had been more than clear about staying back from the gators. They were used to stupid folks so they warned everyone.
Folks don't realize how fast these sunbathing beauties can move.
Still while we were out I saw this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1260172.JPG (378.3 KB, 55 views)
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

At age 6 we went to Yellowstone this was in '63. Bears all over the park and morons teasing them with food. At age 6 I knew these people were id10ts.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #10

The majority of visitors to National Parks never get more than a few feet away from the road or parking lot, and many of them are clueless about nature, safety, etiquette, the rules, preserving the environment, etc. As a result, the most accessible parts of our National Parks are more like amusement parks than natural wonders.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

A buddy and I were hiking in the Black Hills long ago and came around a switchback in the trail. 30 ft away was a bull elk. Apparently we froze quickly enough. After eyeing us for a 5-10 seconds he took one leap off the trail (had to be 10-15 feet) and down the hillside into thick forest. A stunningly magnificent animal that I'm glad didn't have any use for us.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
The majority of visitors to National Parks never get more than a few feet away from the road or parking lot, and many of them are clueless about nature, safety, etiquette, the rules, preserving the environment, etc. As a result, the most accessible parts of our National Parks are more like amusement parks than natural wonders.
My observation, too. The good news is that if you can get at least 100 yards from the parking lot, you leave 95% of the idiots behind.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #13
Administrator

We saw it in Denali. Notwithstanding multiple oral and written warnings, people would go right up to moose, which can easily stomp you to death if they get annoyed.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

They must think they're going to pet Bullwinkle and ask where Rocky is?

Amazing.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Think of it as evolution in action.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Too many rules. Let the bozos do what they will, let nature take the revenge. And don't spend any affort to save the fools. Who said it? Stupid is as stupid does.

I recall one moron tree hugger wanting to experience closeness with bears. He camped on a well worn Brown bear trail. He got his wish, the bear ate him, thus becoming one with the bear. As output from the bear he became one with the soil.

The parts of Alaska I spent much time in (around 14 years) have no posted rules, if one is dumb, unprepared, uninformed or brave, nature has unforgiving lessons to mete out. In none of the pleces I spent time could one reach 911.

Actually I am sick of reading about rescuing morons. They should be left to die.

Kind of like the favorite saying up there: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Two are recent incidents in Yellowstone where one group intentionally wandered off the boardwalks to video themselves next to hot pools, geysers, etc... The other is the unfortunate death of a young man who fell into an acidic hot pool and was dissolved.
In Yellowstone, we saw an early-teenage boy jumping off the boardwalk to wander off into the geyser area, despite the posted signs warning of danger. Other visitors yelled to him to get out. His father was there and told him to ignore the warning. I heard clearly that he said "they are just jealous".

I was in shock. Jealous of what? With a father like that, the chance of this boy living to an adult age would be greatly diminished.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Too many rules. Let the bozos do what they will, let nature take the revenge. And don't spend any affort to save the fools. Who said it? Stupid is as stupid does.

I recall one moron tree hugger wanting to experience closeness with bears. He camped on a well worn Brown bear trail. He got his wish, the bear ate him, thus becoming one with the bear. As output from the bear he became one with the soil.

The parts of Alaska I spent much time in (around 14 years) have no posted rules, if one is dumb, unprepared, uninformed or brave, nature has unforgiving lessons to mete out. In none of the pleces I spent time could one reach 911.

Actually I am sick of reading about rescuing morons. They should be left to die.

Kind of like the favorite saying up there: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.
Yup. Natural consequences.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In Yellowstone, we saw an early-teenage boy jumping off the boardwalk to wander off into the geyser area, despite the posted signs warning of danger. Other visitors yelled to him to get out. His father was there and told him to ignore the warning. I heard clearly that he said "they are just jealous".

I was in shock. Jealous of what? With a father like that, the chance of this boy living to an adult age would be greatly diminished.
At a campground on the Alaskan Highway, I saw two young boys throwing stones at a bear in their campsite. Their dad was behind them with a video camera, making sure their stupidity was preserved for the ages.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
+1

Just got back from a week in St John, many hikes, snorkeling and kayaking... More than once on some of the hikes we said the trails would have been roped off and sterilized if they were in a national park in the continental US.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national parks