NBC News Fail

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Check out this video (at the 4:35 point):

Do you see the problem with that video?

The sound of the explosion comes at the same time as the appearance of the fireball. I figured NBC shifted the sound so physics-challenged people wouldn't be confused.

I watched it some more, and I think they added the boom, and you can hear the real boom four seconds after you see the blast (when the camera falls).

Last edited:
There's no problem - it was quite close to the location of the camera...maybe a few hundred yards.

There's no problem - it was quite close to the location of the camera...maybe a few hundred yards.

If it was 375 yards away, the sound would have come 1 second after the blast.

You can hear the real blast three seconds after the fireball is seen. That echoey blast says the explosion was about .6 miles away.

Interesting.

But I wouldn't worry about it. I get more worked up when on some news broadcasts the video and audio of the anchor person is out of sync :popcorn:.

I’m routinely annoyed to see flying eagles doing red-tailed hawk calls on TV.

Al has a point regarding this accuracy. If you see an explosion, get the hell away from windows and duck. It might save you injury or life. Audio sweeteners don't help reinforce this tidbit.

The one that really comes to mind is the meteor that exploded over Russia a few years ago. Everyone saw and and ran to the windows. Many seconds later, the shock wave hit and blasted glass in their faces. That was the majority of the injuries.

NBC would never "intentionally" edit, adjust, or modify a video or story content just to fit their narrative, mislead the audience or to try to win market share. :cool:

Last edited:
Al, it seems that you may have too much time on your hands. :D

True.

But by coincidence, I was thinking about how much faster those calculations are nowadays when you can just ask Google the speed of sound in yards per second, for example. No need to look up the speed of sound, convert the units, get out the slide rule ...

I thought you were going to complain that they never aired one minute of the impeachment defense yesterday but neither did CBS or ABC; carry on nothing to see here.

Last edited:
NBC, the leader of the truth and veracity league? Nah.

I stopped believing what I see or hear and only believe what I read on the interwebs.

I stopped believing what I see or hear and only believe what I read on the interwebs.

I'm not sure that works either. :)

quote-abraham-lincoln-quote-internet-fake.jpg

same outfit that rigged a pickup to explode several years ago while 'reporting' on dangerous pickups. we were in houston when this happened but about as far away as you could be and still be in the same city.

Tickles me how many news casts begin their program every evening by "Breaking News!"

We are back into the world of Yellow Journalism. Makes me sad. Media and Journalist want to be taken seriously, but the almighty $$ pushes them to sensationalize and create "fake news".

Saw this just this morning:

CBS News: "2 satellites to Collide above Pittsburgh"
Livescience: "2 satellites will narrowly avoid colliding...over Pittsburgh..."

I'm going with the narrowly avoid colliding as what will really happen.

Back
Top Bottom