Need a netbook/tablet pc and wifi access....help!

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
i am new to the whole ipad/tablet pc/netbook scene.

i am looking for a standalone product (not a smartphone) that i can get online with anywhere to check the status of our orders. no heavy computing...just web surfing

So first i thought 'netbook' and I've seen some as low as 180 bucks on clearance. then I read/heard about tablet pcs...but im not sure what they do

I think Verzion has wireless broadband for about $40/month for 250mb which should be fine for simply checking our orders and email while on the road

can someone give me some guidance?!?!?!

I'd vote for the netbook. I'm a very satisfied owner. It is extremely powerful for small biz tasks like you are talking about - internet, email, typing up even lengthy letters/documents, spreadsheets, etc. You can stick it in your glove box when not in use (for security). Pop it out and use it for a minute when you have some downtime during the day, at lunch, between jobs, etc.

It has an integrated physical keyboard you won't get with an ipad or other similar touchscreen device (if typing is important to you).

$40/mo for broadband internet sounds fair. I think we have something locally called "Clear" that might be a little less, but don't know much more about it or whether it is available in your area. Clear is billed as mobile broadband.

Netbook. $250 a year or 2 ago. Asus Eeee. I use mine alot. Great for internet, spreadsheets, music/video watching, backing up camera.

I decided against an aircard, as free WiFi is so easy to find nowadays (Starbucks, McDonalds, libraries, etc) if you just need occasional access.

Second the netbook. You can get online at a lot of places these days (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.) so you might not even need a separate plan.

I have a netbook for a couple years and I like it. I use it a lot less now that I have an ipod touch, very portable but requires wifi.
Although the netbook is likely to do what you want, do not look at the ipad, it is very compelling and you will want one even if you don't need it.

I also have the Asus and use it both at home and when we travel (around the world).

The question I would have is if you are going to use it outside the U.S. where phone service (using a phone based product) would be very expensive to use. Just a consideration.

Is checking on your orders the only thing you are ever doing?
And how important is:
1) cost
2) convenience

well, we talked and made a decision already! we ended up getting a HP Mini 311 Netbook from Verizon for $100 with a 2 yr contract on the mobile broadband service...250mb/mo for $39.

Yes...the only thing this will be used for is checking/taking orders while out of the office as we are fully web based now. Another thing I may do with it is take it to the warehouse in the mornings and be able to pull customer info there if I lose/misplace a contract...my old inkjet is gonna go to the warehouse and be used for these instances

Wifi hotspots are great, but we need to get it anywhere, any time, within 60 seconds while a customer is on hold...so this seems to be the best option. inputting customer info on a smartphone would be too tedious

I realized you have already made your decision so this comment is more for other people who might be reading this.

When netbooks came out I was sure I would want one. Then DH bought his. I tried typing on it and found typing painful. The keyboard was not big enough to type like on a regular keyboard.

I do have an ipad now and FWIW I find it far easier to type on it than on the netbook (I do have the Apple external keyboard for the ipad but rarely use it).

Also it is just easier to use the touchscreen than the netbook. Dragging fingers across the screen is just much easier than fiddling with a mouse or a touchpad.

And internet through the ipad tends to be faster than when I had an aircard.

And, of course, the screen is much nicer on the ipad.

The one advantage that the netbook does have is that it runs regular software rather than apps. In most instances the apps are fine but not for some things where you need a specific program.

I wonder how much usage we will see by accessing emails and our own website for orders?

Curious if anyone uses an aircard all the time instead of a wired home connection? Verizon used to have unlimited plans, but they no longer do...

I wonder how much usage we will see by accessing emails and our own website for orders?

Curious if anyone uses an aircard all the time instead of a wired home connection? Verizon used to have unlimited plans, but they no longer do...

I used mine at home a few times when the cable went out. Even though it is fast enough for casual on the go usage, it was painfully slow compared to regular cable modem.

Me. Living out in the sticks and spending weeks at a time on the road in our RV, an aircard has proven to be the best option for access to the net. I have a Sprint aircard and a grandfathered (so far) "unlimited usage" plan.

I also have a wireless router allowing DW and I to both use the aircard simultaneously.

I used mine at home a few times when the cable went out. Even though it is fast enough for casual on the go usage, it was painfully slow compared to regular cable modem.
I suppose it's what you are used to. I'm getting between 1.2 and 1.5 Mbps downloads on my aircard and compared to the dial-up speed I "enjoyed" previously, it is pretty darned swift. :D

I suppose it's what you are used to. I'm getting between 1.2 and 1.5 Mbps downloads on my aircard and compared to the dial-up speed I "enjoyed" previously, it is pretty darned swift. :D

I'd die. I just checked using the CNET bandwidth check. Apparently I'm getting well over 3.5 Mbps with my cable modem connection, and it seems as slow as molasses sometimes. :mad:

I doubt it. I have indoor plumbing. :)

Oh, well in THAT case (assuming it's city sewerage and not a septic tank) I guess it's ok. :D You can always take a break while webpages are downloading, to go and, uh, er...

Re: Typing on a netbook.
I went to the store and tried out various sizes. I ended up buying a 10 inch netbook and it has become the only computer I have used for the last 2 years, much to my surprise -- I didn't even unpack my desktop computer when I returned to the USA on my last several visits. This netbook keyboard, if I recall, is 92% size. What I found is that there is a big difference between a 9 inch netbook and a 10 inch netbook on the keyboard size, it really made a difference. And I am a touch typist who can type very quickly.

And now I think the netbooks are a little wider (and also lighter and also have higher res screen and longer lasting battery, etc.).

Re: Typing on a netbook.
I went to the store and tried out various sizes. I ended up buying a 10 inch netbook and it has become the only computer I have used for the last 2 years, much to my surprise -- I didn't even unpack my desktop computer when I returned to the USA on my last several visits. This netbook keyboard, if I recall, is 92% size. What I found is that there is a big difference between a 9 inch netbook and a 10 inch netbook on the keyboard size, it really made a difference. And I am a touch typist who can type very quickly.

This is exactly what I did too. I actually bought a really cheap Asus EEE PC 900A with a 9" screen. The keyboard was pretty cramped and the shift and arrow keys were funkily arranged. It seemed slow and jittery. I really bought it as a toy to mess around with.

Not liking the keyboard so much, I sold it (for a profit!) then bought a $200 Dell Mini 10 with a 10" screen and a keyboard that was advertised as 92% of the size of a full size keyboard. It really feels like a full size keyboard to me, and ergonomically it is more comfortable to type on the Dell Mini netbook than it is an older 15" full size laptop. Less strain on the wrists.

(This message was typed on my netbook FYI).

I was watching a demo of some neat new software on the ipad. The software and integration of the touchscreen was nice. But I had to lol a bit at the effort it took the person demonstrating it to type in some simple street names and addresses and email addresses. You have to switch to a different keypad to enter numbers (ie away from the alpha keypad). Similar with symbols. To me, it would be like texting on a phone. Awesome for banging out a 160 character tweet, but not a multi-paragraph ER forum post. Or making a spreadsheet, doing alphanumeric data entry, or any number of office lite tasks that I find myself doing almost daily with my netbook. But hey, some swear by the ipad and it works for them! Thefed, I think you'll find the netbook convenient for what you are looking for. It really doubles as a laptop for most purposes unless you are running power hungry software or serious new 3D games.

I agree it is all a matter of comparison. I use a very fast cable modem network. So the aircard suffers in comparison.

It also depends on what you use it for. I used to have an aircard for my notebook and mostly used it for casual web surfing and email when traveling. And it was great for that. But not so much for heavy video streaming for example.

I was watching a demo of some neat new software on the ipad. The software and integration of the touchscreen was nice. But I had to lol a bit at the effort it took the person demonstrating it to type in some simple street names and addresses and email addresses. You have to switch to a different keypad to enter numbers (ie away from the alpha keypad). Similar with symbols. To me, it would be like texting on a phone. Awesome for banging out a 160 character tweet, but not a multi-paragraph ER forum post. Or making a spreadsheet, doing alphanumeric data entry, or any number of office lite tasks that I find myself doing almost daily with my netbook.

I really love the ipad and find myself using it more than I really expected to. That said, if one's main need is heavy word processing or spreadsheet creation it is not the beat device for that. I've mostly typed emails on it and did view a spreadsheet (and could have modified it if I chose to) and it was fine for that. But if I really needed to do heavy writing I wouldn't use my ipad (or DH's netbook for that matter -- I would use my full size notebook).

We have. There is a reason we never changed the card! We didn't want to lose our unlimited plan.

Audrey

I considered a netbook but thought the screen was too small and operating speed was slow. I opted for a 11.6" Gateway with nearly a full size keyboard. Very small size and lightweight. No complaints.

I too have been using a Sprint aircard for the last couple of years as my primary internet source and have zero complaints. Its great to be able to day trade while the wife is driving.

Back
Top Bottom