Join Early Retirement Today

Need a New Electric Broom.......ideas??
Old 05-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need a New Electric Broom.......ideas??

I am sick of dealing with electric brooms breaking down, so-called "bagless" ones that you have to replace filters on, etc.

Is there such an electric broom as the following:

LONG cord (20-30 feet)
BAGLESS, just a dirt cup like the Hoover uprights do.
Power head
Good vacuum suction

I figure someone has one they like.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
LONG...BAGLESS...Power head...Good vacuum suction

I figure someone has one they like.........
Oh, please please please don't make me go there...

<slaps self> OK, be serious, girl.

I have never owned one. Sorry.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I've had a few and they suc--d. No ,the problem was they did not su-- and were worthless .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm glad some of you know what he's talking about. I HAVE heard of a vacuum cleaner. But my real area of expertise is shoes...as stated in a previous thread today. Why not just use a broom, or a vacuum?
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'll tell you what NOT to get: The Electrolux cordless model. It looks really nice and feels solid, and it is very quiet to run. It has a nice recharging stand and is very convenient to use. The two problems are:
1) Emptying the very small dust cup is a PITA. Probably in anticipation of the complaints, they do thoughtfully provide a port that allows you to vacuum it out using the hose from a full-size vac. Works great--but if you have to get out the canister vac to empty the 3 tablespoon dust bin on the thing, you might as well just use the canister vac to do the floors.
2) The suction is very weak. I mean it so weak that it would only pick up about 50% of the rice crispies on a hardwood floor. The rest get scattered by the motorized brush.

I want a cordless model for 10-minute quick clean-ups (the foyer, stairs, near the back door, etc). So far I haven't found a good one. What I'd REALLY like is a small, cheap cordless backpack vac with a hose and floor brush/furniture brush. Nobody makes one. I'm thinking about building a homemade one using two Dustbusters, some 6" diameter PVC pipe, and vac hose and attachments from one of my old shop vacs. I think something like this would sell well, it's more portable and versatile than any stick-type vac.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I really like my Shark vac, it is cordless. It won't clean the rugs deeply but will pick up surface cat hair and such. Also works on hardwood floors for cat litter, hair and kitchen crumblies.....for deep cleaning and powerful suction the regular vac comes out.
Maybe it is a man thing, DH complains about all regular vac suction and prefers a shop vac. I guess if one got used to it, all household vacs would pale in comparison.
2fer
Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an ORECK XL hand vac, its the one in the commercial where he picks up a bowling ball. While it has a little bag, I usually empty it and have reused it for over two years. We have tile floors, three cats and a german shepard, so it gets used alot. I paid ten bucks for it at a yard sale and would recommend it. Long cord, wand, lightweight.

Jim
Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My dream is a central vac system with one of those little ports in the kitchen where you can sweep the dirt into to be sucked away.

In the interim, I have a hoover bagless canister vacuum which is very good. I also have Jim's Oreck. The nice thing about that vac is that it has a shoulder strap. The suction is good and I do the same, I reuse the bag until it poops out. No power head though. Nevertheless, it is nice for the stairs and the car.

I want a backpack vac--Sam, get on it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My dream is a central vac system with one of those little ports in the kitchen where you can sweep the dirt into to be sucked away.
We looked into those when we were having our house built. A couple of people said the business end of the central vac was too light to do a good job on rugs and carpet. The added weight of the motor and other components on an upright vac enables the 'beater bar' to bring up dirt whereas the lighter head on the central vac tends to just bounce along the surface.

Since we had no real experience with them we decided to pass.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This is what I have been using for several years. It is designed for hard floors, but does fine on a limited amount of carpet also. It is not heavy, I just carry it in my left hand while vacuuming with my right, though it can be pulled along too. It has bags, but they are cheap and don't seem to fill very fast. Has wands so you can stnad up while youk work. ALso nice for doing the car, as long as you have power.

I have really improved my housekeeping performance since buying this, as it is small and not much of a hassle to use.

http://www.abcvacuumwarehouse.com/va...Vacuum+Cleaner

This vendor is great too- free shipping, no tax.

Ha
Old 05-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
gone traveling

Ask Hillary what model she rides...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Ask Hillary what model she rides...
Hey, now, you are talking about our former Esteemed Senator.

Just kidding...
Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I want a cordless model for 10-minute quick clean-ups (the foyer, stairs, near the back door, etc). So far I haven't found a good one.
I made my own - I upgraded Eureka Quick-Up with RC racing car battery.
Sucks as it supposed to
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Electrolux Ergorapido works great for us. Found it at my local Costco.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have decided a while back that there is no one vacuum cleaner that can clean every surface (carpeted, bare, stairs, corners). Also I have learned cordless vacuum cleaners are useless (I have one cordless hand held and one cordless bare floor vacuum - both useless).

I use

Bissell Versus Bare Floor Vacuum (corded kind). I use this for non-carpeted area of my home - mainly my kitchen and bathroom floors. It gets the corner dirt (the head is V-shaped), can pick up fairly big pieces of food particles, and I don't have to move the chairs to vacuum under the dining room table since the V-shaped head can rotate. I used to have to pick up pieces of stuff off the floor with damp paper towel after vacuuming before mopping, but now I don't have to do that.

Bissell 20Q9 CleanView Bagless - Good enough suction. Nothing special except for hte clean/dirty sensor. Very heavy to me. Good beating action. I use it for flat carpeted area like the living room floor. It has a carpet sensor and the sensor light turns red when it is passing over a dirty section of carpet and turns green once clean.

Eureka 71B Hand-Held Vacuum (corded) - for stairs, carpet corners right against the walls, sofas, etc. Great beating action/suction for such a tiny little thing.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote