Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #121
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
This type of romp is probably a great thing for both of their mental health and self esteem.

If it helps both of them, who would ever argue against helping a person's mental health.
Yup. After all, who is harmed by this merry little romp?

Other than the wife and kids when they find out of course. The little ones may need some professional mental health help. That's their problem.

But certainly that romp is worth a bit of pain for the family - it's a great thing!
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

https://youtu.be/PG_jLCZM-Fw

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Days of Our Lives
Old 10-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Days of Our Lives

We've morphed into a soap opera.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
At least it's more juicy than talking the 4% rule...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #125
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Maybe someone will start a thread about the Kardashians next. That would be almost as much fun.
If not for foibles, there'd be nothing on TV
Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #126

If not for foibles, there'd be nothing on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
At least it's more juicy than talking the 4% rule...
+1

I had a sheltered childhood, surrounded by, at least superficially, responsible grownups. During recess, there were a few whispers on the playground about what some adults got up to, but we all thought "Surely depravity of that level only occurs in remote corners of the country, attended by some negligible percentage of the population". (Editor's note: we may have phrased it using words of fewer syllables, but the meaning was the same.)

As I proceeded through adolescence we no longer whispered, but I still held the impression that ~98% of people behaved just like my parents did, which is to say, honest and morally upstanding. My folks had some other human flaws, but they wouldn't have been unfaithful under any circumstances.

However, my naïveté came to a crashing halt upon taking my first real job. The fraction of people getting up to mischief wasn't 1 or 2 percent. It was much bigger. Maybe even a majority, I still don't know for sure. But it's a lot.

Of course, that doesn't make it right. But it sure makes it interesting.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #127
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
My folks had some other human flaws, but they wouldn't have been unfaithful under any circumstances.
That's what Matt's kids think - at least so far.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

https://ifstudies.org/blog/who-cheat...ing-in-america

Quote:
In general, men are more likely than women to cheat: 20% of men and 13% of women reported that they’ve had sex with someone other than their spouse while married, according to data from the recent General Social Survey(GSS).

cheating2new-w640.png
Old 10-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #129

I find it interesting that the over 65 group has the highest percentage of cheating.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I find it interesting that the over 65 group has the highest percentage of cheating.
Has to do with the "gray divorce" increases, I am sure.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yep, she needs to break off all contact and walk away.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #132
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I just hope Matt's wife isn't a member of this forum.

OP has given more than enough information for her to figure it all out! "Gee, honey, this sounds like you!"
Exactly what I was thinking.....

Especially when tied into access to his messaging and FB.

Also wonder what Kristi really thinks about all of this, since she seems to be NOT over it. Maybe she does want Matt after all ??
Old 10-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I think I fit the original criteria. I have been on both sides of this when I was young, stupid, and drunk. I was probably married to Kristi and she did this all the time. But their bigger problem is probably that they are both drunks. How do I know? Because I am one. I just haven’t had to have a drink in 21 years. And I have had a subsequent marriage with zero cheating for 36 years. I learned my lesson long ago.

Normal drinkers at 40-50 years old don’t drink to that point of drunkenness and get in trouble with other peoples spouses. Neither do they drink when it might endanger their health, safety, marriage, job, etc. They might have a drink, maybe two, but they never Drink to get drunk. People like me, who have a problem with alcohol, drink like that. And it’s easy for me to spot them. And once they have crossed that invisible line, this sort of thing becomes common. Adding alcohol to a situation like this is like cutting the brake lines on your sports car and going for a drive. And they do that all the time.

I pity them all, especially the family. It is almost a certainty they will get caught. Especially of they keep drinking and cheating. Suggestions to bow out of this mess Are spot on. There is an old Alanon saying that comes to mind. “Not my monkey, not my zoo”.

Judging them? Why yes I am! A friend wrote the paragraph below and gave me permission to quote her:

“Another perspective: We judge others *all the time*; we could not live a rational life without the ability to size up the trustworthiness of another person. We admire people who have "good judgment," right? Without judgement, how would we know whom we could trust? Who to hire to do a job for us? Who to choose to babysit our children? Who is telling us the truth? Who will probably pay back the $50 we lend them? We judge other people virtually every day of our lives. If we're lucky, we have a track record to rely on for most of the people we deal with. But other times, we have to go with "gut feeling." Judging may result in a correct or faulty decision, but everyone continues to do it because there's really no other choice. When it comes to Internet chat, is it reasonable to exercise the same judgment we make in every other part of our lives? I would argue yes. I don't support being cruel or unkind, but I also don't think it's unreasonable to be honest. And I think using the word "judge" as an accusation or insult is unreasonable.”
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut1 View Post
It is almost a certainty they will get caught.
Agreed, we already know three people are aware of this event (Matt, Kristi, and the OP). OP now mentioned it to hundreds of people on this forum, albeit anonymously. Did OP mention it to other friends also? Did Matt seek advice? Kristi already confided in the OP, who's to say she didn't ask other friends also? That's a lot of loose ends that can quickly unravel. It's already well beyond the "keep it a secret" stage.

I'll also assume there is no "evidence" that Matt's wife may find later, lipstick on a collar, some personal belonging of Kristi's in Matt's possession, etc.

Trust me, the longer Matt waits to tell his wife, the harder it will be to save the marriage. "I messed after the funeral last month" is going to be easier for Matt's wife to process than learning he kept it a secret for years.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #135
Dryer sheet wannabe

Have you considered the tax-free advantages of blackmail money? Either as a lump sum payment or monthly income?

(A joke - do not do this. I feel bad that I feel it necessary to write this part.)
CHBinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #136
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had trouble getting through page 1 of that, and there are 6 more pages?
Shardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

A secret is something you want shared slowly. The wife will find out eventually and it will hurt more that it was with an old/current friend and that the group was talking behind her back for however long. The issue is broken trust.

There are far better websites to research this. Talkaboutmarriage for one is frequented by sex starved participants who thoroughly cover adultery.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #138
Dryer sheet aficionado

Matt and Kristi are both scumbags. Matt should fess up to his wife regarding the broken trust or he’ll feel guilty forever and rightly should. I don’t care what kind of a past any of the previous good friends had together, but if I was Matt’s wife he’d never be seeing or talking to them again(or at least you and Kristi) after that betrayal(once she finds out....and she will). If I were you I’d stay out of it. JMHO
CowgirlUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Obviously none of us know the details of Matt’s marriage. My marriage is way different than many posting here.

What I haven’t seen anyone advise yet is that the situation could be analyzed by thinking it through from other perspectives. How would Kristi feel if her sister’s husband did the same thing? OP, how would you advise your niece to handle it if it were her husband? How would you want it handled if it was your husband? How would Matt tell his daughter to deal with it if it were her marriage? And then think it through from the perspective of the non-married person who was involved in the drunken massage gone too far. I can’t see how your group friendship isn’t already changed irrevocably for the three of you (to start), and likely for all of you for years to come.

If it was my husband & our marriage, the drunken night would be a sign that our marriage had changed significantly and needed to end or have expectations re-set.

Personally, my spouse & I both consider our marriage more important than friendships of any duration. YMMV, and so might Matt’s, Kristi’s, & Matt’s wife.
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m still reading, hang on...
scaubie is offline   Reply With Quote