Join Early Retirement Today

Need Help with Unlocking Adobe Photoshop Album 3.2
Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Need Help with Unlocking Adobe Photoshop Album 3.2

A few days ago I downloaded Adobe Reader 8.1 and installed Photoshop which came with it. I then requested and received a registration unlock code. But the "Unlock Now" tab on the activation panel is greyed out, apparently due to the requirement for the subscriber to have "administrative privileges to activate the unlock code on this computer," which I (thought that) I have, as I have never had problems with activation keys in other programs. Moreover, I am the sole operator of this computer.

Adobe offers support on registration or tech issues but for an outrageous $39 fee.

Does anyone have any solutions in either accessing the unlock tab or getting free assistance from Adobe?
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like Vista. If so, it is supposed to pop up a screen for you to enter an admin password but sometimes that fails to occur. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to save a changed hosts file in Vista. Try searching on Google. Alternatively see if Adobe will send you a CD. If you uninstall the download and reinstall with the key maybe you will be able to get it done. If the free download gives you the option to enter the key during it's install maybe you could redo without getting a CD.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

-My platform is Windows XP professional. I couldn't find assistance in "Help and Support" regarding the adminstrator issue.

-I just googled a few key words about my problem, and the only relevent search result-was my OP!

-As mentioned, Adobe support is pay for play only--even with registration issues.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Try this first:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop, and choose Manage from the pop-up menu.
2. In the left pane, expand System Tools, and then click Local Users and Groups.
3. In the right pane, double-click Groups.
4. Double-click Administrators. If your account has administrator rights, it appears in the Members section.

If that fails, give this a shot. Install Microsoft TweakUI from this link:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...Setup_ia64.exe

Open TweakUI and click "Logon" option in the left pane. Put a checkmark against the option "Show Administrator on Welcome Screen". Click OK to close TweakUI. Logoff and see if Welcome Screen lists Administrator login.

Then try reinstalling your application and see if that helps! Good luck
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Other thing to check (going from memory since I dont have an xp machine handy) is in the user administration under control panel, look at the list of users. You may see an "administrator" or other original username you used during install which has the administration privileges. You may also see that the user name that you're using doesnt have admininstration rights, but theres a "make this user an administrator" sort of option for each user.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Your other option is to try and get a refund of your money since the product wont install. Sometimes a company snaps to and gives you a little help when a loss of revenue is involved.

On the other hand, perhaps all customer service issues have been outsourced to a vending machine in india.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all your suggestions. My only concern about running my computer as administrator is a warning from Microsoft that doing so can expose the system to "Trojan Horses" and other security risks.

Is there a way to sign in as administrator, then sign back out when the task is done?

Oh wait. Right after I typed the last sentence, I noodled around with the control panel determined that McAfee Firewall may be blocking my access. I will review that as well.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yep, you can log into the admin account (if there is one) or put administration rights on your regular account, then take them away when you're done.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

cfb and olav23, It turns out that I have admin privileges after all.