Need Home Privacy Suggestions

Bir48die

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, we have nice next door neighbors though they are a bit nosy and want to see what we're doing all the time. We both have upper decks that come off the main level of the house (we have sloping back yards). Their piece of property is five or six feet higher than ours so they look down a bit on our deck.

Maybe three years ago a cherry tree that gave us summer privacy uprooted and we lost that and the shade. We have since put up some umbrellas at least for the shade issue. Due to a number of reasons it extremely difficult if not impossible to get a stump grinder in to get rid of the big stump plus planting a tree to replace could take years to grow out.

So we're trying to think of something to put up that wouldn't make us look like bad neighbors. We have a chain link fence around the backyard and we like it. We have arborvitae lining the back and I don't want any more on that side of the house. However, anything we think about seems like it would be building the Berlin Wall. I am hoping some of you either have dealt with this or have a suggestion.

Thanks

It's hard to make a suggestion without seeing a pic and zoning will restrict how high you can build.

Can you put a row of large planters with ornamental cedars on your deck that block their view?

What about a roll out shade screen that attaches to your house?

Could you create an outdoor room on your deck by adding a roof and glass/screened sides? Might cost a bit, though.
Bamboo grows crazy fast and creates a good barrier, but you would need to talk to a landscaper on how to keep the roots from spreading all over.
What about putting the privacy lattice strips in the fence? I think they come in different colors too

On my long narrow lot, I made a deck into an 'outdoor room', with weather resistant curtains and rods on the neighbor sides but open to lake view. I used semisheer curtains that let light and air flow, but give plenty of privacy. It's a keeper for my situation. I used white, but a different color wouldn't have the 'wedding' look (a neighbor commented on that). I'm keeping the white because I like the brightness and already purchased, but would rethink if they need replacement. Important to remember the curtains don't block sound so everything can still be heard.

How awful! All I can think of are vines or trees. But, since your neighbors are above your level, whatever blocks their view has to be really high, I'd imagine. And if you can't even get a stump grinder in that space, then even planting another tree (and waiting 15-20 years for it to grow) seems unfeasible. Building a fence high enough to block their view is surely against zoning restrictions, so there goes my vine idea.

I am so sorry that tree fell down. Like you, I value my privacy. This may sound like overkill, but to be honest, if I had that problem and neighbors who liked looking over at what I was doing, I'd be looking for another place to live. This time I'd be looking for a larger lot than what you have (with room for trees), as well as a reasonably high fence around the back yard, and neighbors with single story homes.

How awful! All I can think of are vines or trees. But, since your neighbors are above your level, whatever blocks their view has to be really high, I'd imagine.

I am so sorry that tree fell down. Like you, I value my privacy. This may sound like overkill, but to be honest, if I had that problem I'd be looking for another place to live.
But it is the devil you know, versus the devilyou do not. They could end up with worse problems

When I was growing up we lived on a street were each house was higher than the previous house. Large back yards but track homes about 10 feet apart. Most had pools and most were single story.

I don’t remember why but the lot next to us was empty when we moved in. A few years later someone bought the lot and built a 2 story house, added a pool. Not friendly I played with 1 of the daughters occasionally but the parents were terrifying. A few years in they added a deck and built a slated wood wall on the opposite neighbors side. Their deck overlooked our pool. The clear message was don’t look at us but it’s ok if we look at you.

Weirdos

I suggest you don’t do something similar.

If you are just trying to make your desk more private, why not staple some shade cloth to the entire side facing your neighbors. Shade cloth comes in multiple colors and is a polyester kind of woven cloth, usually multiple colors woven together. It is the fabric they make the shade sails from. I have some that is a beige with a touch of orange. It is not completely light blocking.

It would give you some privacy immediately. Then go to the local nursery (not a big box store) and ask for suggestions what to plant in place of the tree you lost.

Since they’re above you, what if you bought a retractable awning? You could extend it when you wanted privacy and retract when you’d rather leave it open.

But it is the devil you know, versus the devilyou do not. They could end up with worse problems

So true! I understand what you are saying and agree completely.

But as the saying goes, "Good fences make good neighbors". So if he decided to move, then a big priority would be to buy a house on a lot that was either fenced or that could easily be fenced off from the neighbors' lots. The fence needs to be high enough that he does not feel the neighbors would just sit there watching what he does.

Also I'd add one of my own, along the lines of "Lots of space between houses helps too". For me, this is even more important because it would shield me from noise. He has a nice neighbor now, but suppose they move? The new neighbors could be a bit more noisy. So if he decided to move, another priority would be lots of distance between his house and the neighboring homes, in a generally quiet neighborhood.

a piece of lattice screening on that side of the deck will afford you some privacy. this is just an example. there are all sorts of patterns and densities.

pFi2izNl.jpg

Lattice or a wood wall on their side of your deck might give you enough privacy to block their view.

As far as the stump goes, drill holes into the stump. There's a chemical that can be put into the holes that speeds up deterioration of the stump. I think you can get it at Home Depot/Lowes. I've been known to drill holes and put my old motor oil into the holes--and set the stump on fire. After a few burns, the stump might disappear.

Also , while the sail/lattice or sun shade may work depending upon your building, ignore the stump, and plant a small tree.

If you plant a 5 foot maple (example) in 10 years it will be 20 feet tall, just be sure to water it weekly for the first year or two in the summer. If you don't plant one, in 10 years you still won't have a tree.

DECK.JPG

Not sure if this came through. Awnings would work for sun but not privacy. I think I'll have to construct something with 2-3 poles and a privacy fabric. I don't know if you can see his deck but we're waiting for 4 or 5 people to walk near his railing while it completely collapses.

View attachment 33212

Not sure if this came through. Awnings would work for sun but not privacy. I think I'll have to construct something with 2-3 poles and a privacy fabric. I don't know if you can see his deck but we're waiting for 4 or 5 people to walk near his railing while it completely collapses.

Please rotate the picture.

That picture is similar to our neighbors, except they have second story windows looking onto our deck.
We have a wood privacy screen we put up when we had a hot tub, but they were still able to look down.
We just use a large umbrella at our table and when I am out, I make a point of looking up into their window and waving if I see them! At least if they are looking out at me, they know I know it--lol. Being caught looking out at us frequently makes them move away from their window quickly.

I think this might show it rotated. I reduced the size somewhat too.

Thanks. I'm wondering about the level of nosiness of the neighbors. Like, when you're out on your deck, do they stand on their deck and stare at you the whole time? That would be creepy. I'm trying to picture this and what their motivation would be.

Agree with the shade sales. They make them diff shapes. Also, what about a couple deck umbrella tilted so they impede neighbors view.? Trees or tall shrubs are the solution long-term. Best time to plant a tree? 20 years ago. Second best time? Today

Build a privacy bench?

When I had close next door neighbors I built the bench shown in picture below. It was 6 ft. tall. Worked great to screen our patio from neighbors and also worked for additional seating or as plant stand.

6740-albums251-picture2061.jpg

We have a similar situation. We lost two privacy screen landscape plants too severe weather.

I was going to agree with pacergirls suggestion of a gazebo and bamboo (in planters) but seeing that picture makes Tom52s suggestion the winner. I see many townhomes and duplex homes using a decorative fence panel on one end and it looks OK. I would also plant something st ground level like a tall shrub (redtip) or tree Taylor juniper, arborvitae. Even a deciduous tree will work in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom