Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Need Oven Cleaning Pointers
Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need Oven Cleaning Pointers

I am trying to clean my kitchen in preparation for checking out of my apartment some time next week. I decided to tackle the electric oven first, as that is most intimidating to me. It was pretty dirty, but I have cleaned all the surfaces but the very top (“ceiling” of the oven) pretty well, with Oven Off. (It is one of those old ovens with no self-cleaning feature.) The element blocks me from getting to that upper surface with a scrubber, and I found it hard to make the Oven Off can spray vertically up there. I was told not to get the cleaner on the element, which is another problem. It looks like I will need a ¼”hex socket and a driver to remove the element, if that is what I should do.

I doubt any of you have this type of oven without a cleaning mechanism, but maybe you know how to approach this anyway.
Any suggestions?

Another question I have is what is the best cleaner to use on the moderately glossy, painted kitchen walls?

Believe me, I will be grateful for any ideas!

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

I use straight Palmolive dish washing soap on my kitchen stove to clean greasy spills, you may need to let it sit for a while on the oven.
txtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha, you may be able to get a simple 1/4" nut driver from a local hardware store pretty cheap. When you unplug the element, you may want to tape over the holes to keep the spray out.

409 works good on painted walls.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a similar oven. So far the easiest way I have found to clean the top is to cover the heating elements with aluminum foil. This makes it much easier to get at much cleaning chemicals up there as I can without worrying about getting any on the heating elements.

Once the foil is on almost any cleaning chemical I have gets shoved up there, dish washing liquid, foaming bubbles bathroom cleaner, oven cleaner, etc.

T
Tif7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm too tired to do anything tonight, but tomorrow I'll try some of these ideas.

Ha
Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I decided to tackle the electric oven first, as that is most intimidating to me. It was pretty dirty, but I have cleaned all the surfaces but the very top (“ceiling” of the oven) pretty well, with Oven Off.

Another question I have is what is the best cleaner to use on the moderately glossy, painted kitchen walls?

Believe me, I will be grateful for any ideas!

Ha

I have been cleaning ovens for years and nothing magically happens if you happen to hit the element .Believe me I know ! As for the walls diluted dish detergent should do it . If not go to a dollar store and get Awesome it works .They stock it with the cleaning supplies .No awesome just buy whatever heavy duty cleaner they have !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The electric ovens that I was familiar with, the elements were pretty easy to remove. A couple of those 1/4" hex screws and they unplug and pull out.

I'm going to suggest that you unplug the oven itself. If you can't get to the plug, can you get to the breaker? On our old electric, some spilt food built up and carbonized on a gap between a connector and the oven case, the stove was not grounded properly, and DW got a shock that could have been lethal.

I was really p*ssed when I pulled the stove out to find the ground wire was never connected. I turned off power, connected ground, turned power on and BLAM! the carbonized gunk popped like a firecracker. But that also blew it to smithereens, opened the gap, and no shocks after that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm too tired to do anything tonight, but tomorrow I'll try some of these ideas.

Ha
Given that you are working pretty hard getting ready for the move, and given the season, and given that you mentioned that you are feeling a bit "down", my suggestion is to give yourself an early Christmas present. Call a maid service and get a one time housecleaning, including oven cleaning and walls.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

You can get some great stuff called Blue Thunder at a janitorial cleaning supply store. We used it to take years of smoke residue from my mom's walls. Regular washing didn't touch it - the blue thunder worked like a charm!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Given that you are working pretty hard getting ready for the move, and given the season, and given that you mentioned that you are feeling a bit "down", my suggestion is to give yourself an early Christmas present. Call a maid service and get a one time housecleaning, including oven cleaning and walls.
+1

We think alike.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

i agree....hire yourself a christmas angel to clean......you ARE worth it!
barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, I cleaned that @#$$%((&! oven all by myself. Piece of cake. Almost. I pulled a muscle in my side, and rubbed an abrasion under my arm, from pulling and stretching and scrubbing like a demon in that Lye rich atmosphere. Also, I discovered that ERD50 was 100% correct that one must unplug the beast before removing an element. I forgot this step, and although I did not get shocked, I sure got surprised when the element came on and tried to make a roast out of me. I was plenty quick at getting up, pulling out the range and getting that plug out. I still cannot figure that one out.

Next time, I will have a self clean oven. And if it still gets dirty, I’ll call a maid service like many of you suggested!

Ha