Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Need some synthetic ashes
Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need some synthetic ashes

We are finally having a memorial for our father , 3 mo after his death. Chartered a passenger ferry for dad's co-workers and extended family for scattering ashes at sea off the coast. This will be a symbolic event. I was going to hire a couple of bag-pipers too, but I'd be crying for sure.

I wish I spent some of this effort trying to improve his quality of life when he was alive.That's too late now .

The actual scattering of his ashes will be done privately by us three children wading into the surf at the beach he swam from for over 6 decades.

So I need some ideas of where to get some kind of artificial ash material for the
memorial on the boat.

Any Ideas ?

I'm done crying , I think , so Wisecracks are ok , as long as accompanied by a solution
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Bonfire residue?
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #3

Veterinary Crematory?
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Burn his favorite book and/or some of his favorite mementos?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Unclaimed or excess ashes from a crematorium?
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For symbolic use, perhaps white rice flour, available in the bulk food isles at Winco. Very white and heavier than wheat flour, so I am guessing it would throw or sprinkle better. Actual human ashes are kinda chunky and messy..
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Cremains don't look very much like fire ash at all from what I've seen. More like a course sand. If I were going to try and replicate it, I'd use bird grit from a pet store.

And I offer my condolences.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Chartered a passenger ferry for dad's co-workers and extended family for scattering ashes at sea off the coast...

The actual scattering of his ashes will be done privately by us three children wading into the surf at the beach he swam from for over 6 decades.
My condolences.

Why can't the ash be divided for the 2 events?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I like this idea.

Or even if you don't want to burn the original items, perhaps printed pictures of them. It's the thought that counts.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
+1. What a lovely thought. Like Easysurfer said, if you don't want to burn the actuals items then photos are a great option.

My condolences on your loss.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #11

Took a look in the plastic urn. Remains are fine powder. The crematory did a very good job of pulverizing the bone remains.Closest thing I found to it is rye flower.

We sent a his bible, favorite hot , shirt with the insignia of the co he worked for, along with his body when cremated. A few things to go along for the eternal journey.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Sorry about your loss . I would pour out a small amount of the real ashes & use those .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Just make sure to pour the ashes down wind. We didnt pay attention to the wind, and got ashes all over the boat. Mitch will be with the boat forever!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Unclaimed or excess ashes from a crematorium?
+1
I would think that the place that cremated him, would be happy to provide you with some excess ashes. It seems likely that they throw a lot out every day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #15

I would think bonemeal (fertilizer) would be a reasonable substitute.

It's doubtful that any actual human cremains would be handed out by a crematorium. The cremains I received after a couple family members passed over the past 5 years had paperwork with them. There are also rules/laws about where you can legally spread human cremains and sometimes it requires a permit.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I would think bonemeal (fertilizer) would be a reasonable substitute.

It's doubtful that any actual human cremains would be handed out by a crematorium. The cremains I received after a couple family members passed over the past 5 years had paperwork with them. There are also rules/laws about where you can legally spread human cremains and sometimes it requires a permit.
We did have to get a permit from the county for burial at sea in coastal waters. (within 6 miles of shore). Surprisingly, it does not specify ashes only. I don't think the boat captain would be happy about non cremated remains , but I bet some people do desire to be sent off this way.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

One of my friends had a ceremony at sea where they just tossed a wreath of flowers and then scattered the ashes another day .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
One of my friends had a ceremony at sea where they just tossed a wreath of flowers and then scattered the ashes another day .
I think that will be the plan , Thanks
Ashes, Dad's internment at sea
Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #19

Ashes, Dad's internment at sea

We decided to divide the ashes 5 ways. part for the internment off the coast with the family and friends group, part for the beach exactly were he liked to swim every day, 2 parts for the beaches he loved in Hawaii , and northern ca, and part to spread at the graves of his parents .

The sun broke out just as we left the harbor. The crew had done this many times before.They did an excellent job. Ashes in a basket with a solid bottom, covered with rose petals. The ashes could be seen as a momentary white cloud in the water surrounded by rose petals.

I had to ask an old family friend to read the epitaph , as I doubt any of us kids could make it through.

This boat charter was happy accommodate this type of charter , but does not advertise this service ( According to the deck hand, this captan always feels bad for the rest of the day whenever a funeral occurs on his boat).