Need Your Air Conditioner Serviced? Good Luck...

Old enough to remember this...
The capacitor was initially known as a condenser. The term “condensor” was associated with it because it was supposed to condense electric charge. The charge it could hold at a rated voltage was known as “capacity.” This term was in use till about 1960s.

Yes.

The French still call a capacitor "condensateur".

This guy has tons of a/c and other home appliance repair videos, the most common repair being a blown capacitor that you can fix yourself for way less than $50

minutes.

OK, if we've drifted into odd fixes, I have one. My Weber "Q" grill didn't seem to be getting as hot as it should. I cleaned the burners, but no improvement. I went on line and found that there's a secret "safety mode" they go into. This shuts the gas down to half of the proper flow.

There's a 7-step reset procedure, which I followed and got the grill back to normal. Now I have to remember to always turn the gas on slowly so I don't trigger that mode again.

From what I've read, this is supposed to be a safety feature. It detects when there's a leak in the gas line. But why would it still work at half-power? If there really were a leak, wouldn't you want it shut off all the way?

Whatever. At least now I know what to do.

As described in the DIY repair thread, last year I discovered my two mini-splits were leaking R410a. I bought a canister, and instead of the 11-lb one, went for a 25-lb container to be sure I had enough.

That turned out to be a good move, because I ended up using more than 8 lbs. I now have plenty left for a reserve.

I installed the FlareSeals as described in the aforementioned thread. Seems to work so far.

Quicken said I paid $179 for the 25-lb can in June 2021. I think the smaller 11-lb can was around $100.

Just checked the price. It's now $600 for 25 lbs.

Last edited:
Quicken said I paid $179 for the 25-lb can in June 2021. I think the smaller 11-lb can was around $100.

Just checked the price. It's now $600 for 25 lbs.

OUCH.

And that brings us right back to the thesis and topic of this thread.

About 4 months after I bought, the distributor from whom I ordered sent an email to me saying I'd better stock up because R410a was being phased out. They thought I was an AC repairman.

I checked the price then out of curiosity, and saw that it already went up quite a bit. Not remembering the exact price , but it was perhaps $270-$300.

If anybody needs some, there are several sources for R 410A on ebay for under $500 for 25 pounds including shipping. Glad I got mine several years ago for around $100. Used it for the first time this year. Still have plenty of R22, R12 and 134 . Each time they come out with a new refrigerant, I get some when it's new and cheap. It's almost like an investment. If you ever decide to sell down the road, you'll always get your money back and then some.

If anybody needs some, there are several sources for R 410A on ebay for under $500 for 25 pounds including shipping...

Be careful and read the descriptions closely.

I just saw one offer at an impossible low price. The description says that the canister is the 25-lb size, but not full. Buyers beware.

My next door neighbor put in a new Carrier condenser two years ago. That thing is noisy compared to their old one. I don't like to be out in my driveway or near that corner of my house (which is pretty close to their condenser) when that thing is running. I'm not sure what all they replaced - but they did mention $10,000.

So your plan is to replace it? 19 years is good service for an A/C unit. Here in HOT Houston area, getting 10 years before it starts to go bad is normal.

10 years life span for a central heat/air heat pump is about right for Florida too no matter what you have installed. Most of the coil fins on the outdoor unit start to crumble and fall off due to corrosion. Ours has lasted 12 years at this time and needs to be replaced. I just hope it gets us through the summer first.

Cheers!

Being an avid diy person I picked up my 608 certification for giggles a number of years ago, this thread reminds me why I did!

I love these do it yourself repair stories.

Last fall when I turned on the furnace for the first time it would fire up the burners, then shutdown before fan would engage and blow warm air into the house. I checked the error code and it led me to discover a vacuum line that was going to a safety shutoff sensor was partially plugged by what looked like the fluffy residue from seedlings from a cotton wood tree. The blockage was about the size of a wisp of cotton from a Q-tip. Took that out of the vacuum line and furnace started working normally. Still amazed something like that could shutdown a furnace, plus pretty pleased with myself for finding it.

Electronics repair isn't that difficult with AC units. They use a lot of discrete components. A blown relay is easy to spot and replace. Most A/C repair people just swap out the board. The AC person that my wife called said it would be about $1500 to replace the controller board including parts and labor. It cost me about $2 for the components and about 30 minutes to replace the failed component. The replacement controller board cost $220 and about 1 hour to connect to the system. So it pays to be handy at home.

... So it pays to be handy at home.

What is easy for you and me may be too much to ask of a typical person.

I have two brothers. One would be the type who searched the Web for info, and got into part replacement by DIY.

The other one, well, his wife has been known to replace kitchen faucets and door locks while he would not know where to start.

They are both CS type.

Last edited:
What is easy for you and me may be too much to ask of a typical person.

I have two brothers. One would be the type who searched the Web for info, and got into part replacement by DIY.

The other one, well, his wife has been known to replace kitchen faucets and door locks while he would not know where to start.

They are both CS type.

Yes, and I am guilty of sometimes forgetting this. I'm a DYI madman, and many people say I should get a part time job as a "handyman." I'd like to do that, but in this litigious society, I won't do it. I really don't want to go down the whole process of being a business, insurance, etc.

DW reminds me not everyone is DYI. All she has to do is rip out some sheet music and suggest I try to sing it from sight reading. Then she'll tell me how she transposed it recently on the fly. I have no idea what she is talking about. I have no idea (except vaguely) how to sing it. I don't even know where to start. I am not musical, other people are not mechanical. The world needs all kinds.

Last edited:
It's going to cost you a lot more, A LOT MORE, to recharge your A/C this year.

But wait! R410A is also being phased out as a refrigerant. A clause was sneaked into a spending bill in Dec 2020, which will make R410A obsolete. The idea is to reduce R410A by yearly increments until it is completely phased out by 2035. This is increasing the cost of R410A every year (month?) It's up about 15% since January, for example.

ARRGH! Now I regret giving away an almost full tank of R401A to my Brother in law. We had a occasional use in our business, but no longer have the business so I got rid of it. My home air conditioner uses 401A. :facepalm:

........ The AC person that my wife called said it would be about $1500 to replace the controller board including parts and labor. It cost me about $2 for the components and about 30 minutes to replace the failed component. The replacement controller board cost $220 and about 1 hour to connect to the system...........
I struggle to see why this was not an attempted blatant ripoff.

The same way the auto dealers want to change expensive parts rather than figuring out what the problem actually is and just repair that. Most AC techs know very little about electronics. I don't know any that could do a solder job on a board. Charge an AC with refrigerant? yes. Install a new system or major component? yes. But pull out an IC board and figure out what has gone bad and replace that $2 part? nope!
Their time cost just doesn't justify the investment in training. And besides most homeowners have no idea that there are replaceable parts on a $1500 board.

Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
........ The AC person that my wife called said it would be about $1500 to replace the controller board including parts and labor. It cost me about $2 for the components and about 30 minutes to replace the failed component. The replacement controller board cost $220 and about 1 hour to connect to the system...........
I struggle to see why this was not an attempted blatant ripoff.

I don't really expect a repair person to go down to component level, so I'd say the $2 and 30 minute repair is the realm of the knowledgeable DIY'er.

And a business probably has to reasonably mark up that $220 board 2x (keeping a bunch in stock, etc), and that 1 hour is more like 2 hours with travel and diagnosing time and set up time. So $440 plus $200 in time....

yeah, still seems like a ripoff. Half of $1500 would be generous.

Anyhow, I appreciate this thread, it reminded me that while I bought a number of spare parts for the furnace, I hadn't done that for the A/C - I'll get a capacitor and relay/contactor, and I think I forgot to buy a spare capacitor for the inside blower motor.

-ERD50

The same way the auto dealers want to change expensive parts rather than figuring out what the problem actually is and just repair that. Most AC techs know very little about electronics. I don't know any that could do a solder job on a board. Charge an AC with refrigerant? yes. Install a new system or major component? yes. But pull out an IC board and figure out what has gone bad and replace that $2 part? nope!
Their time cost just doesn't justify the investment in training. And besides most homeowners have no idea that there are replaceable parts on a $1500 board.
My reference was to taking an hour to install a $220 board and charging $1500 for it. I don't expect them to have the knowledge or patience to diagnose the board itself.

My next door neighbor put in a new Carrier condenser two years ago. That thing is noisy compared to their old one. I don't like to be out in my driveway or near that corner of my house (which is pretty close to their condenser) when that thing is running. I'm not sure what all they replaced - but they did mention $10,000.

Kinda surprised as mine is very quiet.... it can be on and you not hear it standing close to it...

And here I thought I was being cheap for not replacing my (still working but old) AC with 410a. Hope it lasts the summer and then I will (proactively) replace next year. I wanted to do my last house upgrades while still working but close to the end. Fingers crossed. But at least I will have an idea if it does break and guy is lying to me. . .

My plan is roof and ac next year - I think. Paint this winter.

Just for reference. The first time the AC/Furnace controller failed I replaced the relay that failed that turned the blower fan on when the furnace was on. That repair lasted about 5 years until another relay connected to the AC failed during the summer heat. I quickly ordered the a replacement controller but the lead time was a week and I couldn't take the heat so I went into the attic at night and replaced the second relay that failed that I already had in inventory at home. Attached is a photo of the controller with the two replaced replaced relays. The AC system worked and my controller card arrived a few days later. The new version of the controller card was not quite the same as the 1996 version. They used much better components but it required modifications to my wiring that were explained in the instructions.
I decided to postpone the installation of the new controller due to the heat.
Two years went by and I decided that it would be prudent to install a the new controller card that I already bought and ditch the old one (shown in photos). The installation with the wiring modifications took about one hour. Hopefully my system will hold up until there are more R32 systems on the market.

I wouldn't expect an AC repair person to be capable of repairing circuit cards but electronics is a hobby from a very young age. It started with crystal radios, then Heath kits, DYI analog synthesizers, and eventually logic design after university. I'm not skilled enough to replace surface mount components but discrete components are pretty easy to repair. I'm a product of a public school system from the past that taught students electronics and industrial arts.

Attachments

• IMG_20170805_081658633.jpg
    IMG_20170805_081658633.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20170805_081706427.jpg
    IMG_20170805_081706427.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 40
DW reminds me not everyone is DYI. All she has to do is rip out some sheet music and suggest I try to sing it from sight reading. Then she'll tell me how she transposed it recently on the fly. I have no idea what she is talking about. I have no idea (except vaguely) how to sing it. I don't even know where to start. I am not musical, other people are not mechanical. The world needs all kinds.

Yup. I am the guy for whom the phrase "Couldn't carry a tune in a bucket" was invented.

But I can fix one's A/C or furnace (most of the time, if I don't need special tools like the vacuum pump) overhaul a carburetor, and figure out why the lawn mower won't start.

My A/C unit was replaced in early 2016. I guess I don't wanna know what refrigerant it uses.

I thought this thread would be about demand for repair right now, with heat waves all over the country. I have a local handyman who's been planning to get to my non-emergency washing machine repair for weeks. He's honest and reasonable but can't be tied down to times/dates more than 2 days ahead. Early last week he said he was getting the replacement motor and would Friday or Saturday work? Friday was fine, I replied-I had a meeting 10-2 Saturday and was traveling most of this (upcoming) week. What about the week of 6/20?

No response.

I followed up again today. He's been swamped with A/C repairs and never did pick up the motor.:mad: He agreed with my suggestion that I find someone else. An appliance repair from recommended by people on NextDoor will be here Tuesday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom