Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked rotating shift most of my career so I am sensitive to this. But life must go on and I learned early on that a little white noise from a fan made all the difference in my ability to sleep during the noisy hours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Worked rotating shift most of my career so I am sensitive to this. But life must go on and I learned early on that a little white noise from a fan made all the difference in my ability to sleep during the noisy hours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I do the fan AND earplugs and still get woken up multiple times every day.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I won't mow until after 8am any generally do it after 9am. I hear the landscapers at 8 every day

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've worn ear plugs for sleeping every day for the last 15+ years and I rarely sleep more than a few hours before something/someone wakes me up whether it's day or night.
What type of plug? I used the silicone flanged plugs, never liked the expanding foam plugs.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You would rather disturb them when they are eating dinner?

Just showing that there isn't a time that works for everyone.
Considering the heat index was 92 at 1 am last night, I don't think many folks are dining al fresco at 6 pm here. At least not in the middle of summer.

Like I said, I feel like a real sh1tball when I go out to mow at 6 or 7 and see my neighbor chilling in her rocking chair on her back deck. I only mow every 2 weeks or so, so the inconvenience isn't huge.

The grass is generally soaked with dew at 7 am, otherwise I'd probably do the early morning thing to beat the heat slightly. But no way I'd mow at say 4 pm when it's still steaming hot just so my neighbors could enjoy a quiet dinner. One's rarely there anyway, the other is slightly hearing impaired, so maybe not a big deal in my situation.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
What type of plug? I used the silicone flanged plugs, never liked the expanding foam plugs.
I use expanding foam. Maybe i'll have to try your kind. Are they available at a Walmart/Walgreens type place?
Old 08-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I disagree. I've never found silicone plugs to have as high a noise reduction rating as the foam variety.

I've used these for decades with total satisfaction. They only cost a few cents each when you buy a box like this. And although marketed as single-use, they actually last for a very long time, used over and over.

Howard Leight MAX-1 Foam Ear plugs Uncorded NRR33
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

When I lived in Houston, I think there were some laws about excessive noise. (Mowing yards, chainsaws, etc) I think it was something like not before 8am and not after 10pm. Something like that. We had an issue a couple of times with people partying outside at all hours but that stopped after few calls to the cops. The cops seem to be tolerant with the noise offenders the first time but not the second or third call.

Out here in the county it doesn't matter. I was out on the tractor a few weeks ago at almost mid-night. Of course I doubt that the nearest neighbor could hear anything unless they were outside and the wind was blowing in the right direction. Maybe!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I disagree. I've never found silicone plugs to have as high a noise reduction rating as the foam variety.

I've used these for decades with total satisfaction. They only cost a few cents each when you buy a box like this. And although marketed as single-use, they actually last for a very long time, used over and over.

Those don't work well at all for me. They are even worse than the ones i'm using now which are similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/Flents-Quiet-...foam+ear+plugs
Old 08-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #30

Quote:
I would want to get the lawn mowed by 9am to avoid the hotter times of the day so that means probably starting by 8am. What do you think is a reasonable time to start outside noise or end it at night?
+1 This is pretty much what I do. When I mow in the summer, I will wait till 8 am to start.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #31

Quote:
I've used these for decades with total satisfaction.
Quote:
Those don't work well at all for me. They are even worse than the ones i'm using now which are similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/Flents-Quiet-...foam+ear+plugs
That is just fascinating. The ones you showed are similar to the ones the USAF hands out to anyone flying as a passenger on their aircraft. I've always found them to be poor performers, even with a NRR of 29.

OTOH, the ones I showed, with a NRR of 33, have been just about perfect for me, over 3 or 4 decades.

Just shows that what works for one person is useless for another. The answer, obviously, is that you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

My a$$hat neighbor starts at 7:00 just cause. His dog stops barking when the sun comes up so we can get a couple of hours of sleep.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #33
Administrator

Our very noisy garbage collection is at 7 am and the HOA begins landscaping at 7:30. They also won't allow any contractors into the neighborhood after 6.

We use a white noise machine, which works very well to drown out road, mowing and leaf blowing noises.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #34

Quote:
I use expanding foam. Maybe i'll have to try your kind. Are they available at a Walmart/Walgreens type place?
Not sure, I have a bunch from the old j*b. I use them for sleeping, shooting and on the motorcycle.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #35

What kind of foam earplugs? Those with a smooth coating block way more sound.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #36

Quote:

Guess its like beer, I prefer IPA's how about you?
Old 08-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
What kind of foam earplugs? Those with a smooth coating block way more sound.
+1
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I won't mow before 10 am, because I'm not keen to mow, so my neighbors must be happy.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm...im not sure. I live on 30 acres so I do not have to worry about these issues...lulz

When I used to live in an apartment complex I would wear earplugs every single night along with running a sound machine...the dohm brand I believe. Worked well...did that for 10 years.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

we had a guy that lived on our golf course on the 7th hole. He would play rock music as loud as possible during the day in order to irritate the golfers. He was butthurt because the mowing equipment would wake him up in the morning. After about 3 citations for disturbing the peace, he sold his house. What a loser.