Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think our HOA is officially 7:00 am for noise/construction workers/etc.... However, I aim for 9:00 or later to be nice. However, I personally think any time after 7 is fair game. Rude but within the normal rules of life... in my opinion.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Snow blowers in the winter are an exception. You have to be able to get out of your driveway to get to work and they may mean snow blowing at 5am. That's just a part of living in a place with lots of snow. People need to realize that and go to bed early when there's going to be heavy snow overnight.
The difference between blowing snow and mowing the lawn is that no one in the winter is sleeping with their windows open and the chances of disturbing someone are much less.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
The difference between blowing snow and mowing the lawn is that no one in the winter is sleeping with their windows open and the chances of disturbing someone are much less.
Another factor in favor is that the fresh snow absorbs a lot of the noise.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

A crop duster has been buzzing our neighborhood starting at 6:30AM for many mornings this summer, and it lasts a long while. The cotton is harvested now, so that should be over.

We do get the occasional low hovering helicopter in the wee hours.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I disagree. I've never found silicone plugs to have as high a noise reduction rating as the foam variety.

I've used these for decades with total satisfaction. They only cost a few cents each when you buy a box like this. And although marketed as single-use, they actually last for a very long time, used over and over.

Howard Leight MAX-1 Foam Ear plugs Uncorded NRR33
Are these basically as good as it gets with noise reduction? I would definitely be willing to pay more but I haven't seen anything much over a 30db rating.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #46

AFAIK, yes. I've never found better.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #47

Personally I would never fire up my lawnmower or weed trimmer or anything with a loud engine before 9:00AM, especially on weekends. Just basic, common courtesy to those living nearby who would likely be irritated by the disturbance. Others in my neighborhood clearly don't feel this way, as I've been woken up from a dead sleep numerous times over the years by people who blithely start mowing or blowing or edging at like 7:30. And since I almost always cut my grass and do other yard work around 6:00pm, I know firsthand that it's not really that uncomfortable to be outside at that time of day. Sure it's a bit hot, but way better IMHO than getting up at the crack of dawn working on a yard that's coated with dew and clogs up your mower or trimmer with big clumps of wet grass.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Personally I would never fire up my lawnmower or weed trimmer or anything with a loud engine before 9:00AM, especially on weekends.
I agree. As a kid I mowed our 2.5 acres with a 30" rider. Took at least 6 hours on the thing. DF would have bought a reel mower and make me use it if I'd started before 9 any day and noon on Sunday.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Actually the sleeping with the windows open depends on where in the country you live in the summer. Once AC came to open the windows at night in the south is to invite dew to condense inside the house and thus allow mold to grow. I once spent some time at an oil camp in indonesia in a house that was built before ac (all be it ac'd at the time). At the bottom of the closets were light bulbs that were put there to keep the temp of the closet above the dew point so moisture would not get on the clothes contained. Once you have ac it runs at night enough to keep the humidity down.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
My Mom emailed me this morning complaining about one of her neighbors using a chain saw at 7:15am on a Sunday. That got me wondering what other people think is reasonable for a time to do outside yard chores that are loud like a chainsaw, or lawn mower. If I owned a house I would want to get the lawn mowed by 9am to avoid the hotter times of the day so that means probably starting by 8am. What do you think is a reasonable time to start outside noise or end it at night?
Because of our infamous summer heat and humidity, mowing here begins earlier in the day than it might in some parts of the country. AFAIK almost nobody sleeps with the windows open here in the summertime because we have the AC going full blast.

My lawn guy, who mows several houses on our block, normally begins at 8 AM every Wednesday morning. He has an assistant to do the edging, and they finish in about 2 hours. This week, due to the rains, he began at 7 AM while it was still relatively dry.

In other parts of the country where I have lived, 9 AM was a more acceptable time to begin mowing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Because of our infamous summer heat and humidity, mowing here begins earlier in the day than it might in some parts of the country. AFAIK almost nobody sleeps with the windows open here in the summertime because we have the AC going full blast.

My lawn guy, who mows several houses on our block, normally begins at 8 AM every Wednesday morning. He has an assistant to do the edging, and they finish in about 2 hours. This week, due to the rains, he began at 7 AM while it was still relatively dry.

In other parts of the country where I have lived, 9 AM was a more acceptable time to begin mowing.
It is an interesting problem. FUEGO pointed out up in our neck of the woods, this isn't so good because the grass is dewy at that time. The Peidmont has issues with grass. We are in "grass variety no-man's land", and it seems like every grass is fragile. Running the mower with dew on it is a great way to spread various fungal diseases.

Down in N.O., you must have, what, St. Augustine? This must be able to handle the assault of the blade while wet better.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I *have* to start mowing no later than 5 AM...otherwise, I have to do AT LEAST 15-20 MPH over the speed limit to get to the neighborhood pool so I can save a recliner and go grab lunch. It's just the right thing to do.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I'm with W2R---there's no way anyone is outside during the day here if they can help it. AC is on, windows shut tight. Mowing here is done at all hours, whenever you get the urge for some heatstroke. I'd not hold it against a neighbor for cutting grass at 7am--especially the older guy on one side of us. Now that dull stump grinder he rented last weekend and used all day Saturday was a bit annoying, however!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm with W2R---there's no way anyone is outside during the day here if they can help it. AC is on, windows shut tight. Mowing here is done at all hours, whenever you get the urge for some heatstroke. I'd not hold it against a neighbor for cutting grass at 7am--especially the older guy on one side of us. Now that dull stump grinder he rented last weekend and used all day Saturday was a bit annoying, however!
Since this is turning into the pet peeve of noise, let me chime in.

Gas powered pressure washers. Oh the futility! Many neighbors spend whole Saturdays with these noisy beasts washing their driveways and sidewalks, only to watch them stain up quickly within a few months.

These things are really, really noisy. Similar to generators, but their sound varies as the operator toggles the switch. It makes for a very irritating sound, even from 8 or 9 houses away.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Since this is turning into the pet peeve of noise, let me chime in.

Gas powered pressure washers. Oh the futility! Many neighbors spend whole Saturdays with these noisy beasts washing their driveways and sidewalks, only to watch them stain up quickly within a few months.

These things are really, really noisy. Similar to generators, but their sound varies as the operator toggles the switch. It makes for a very irritating sound, even from 8 or 9 houses away.
Don't forget the joy of leaf blowers. My neighbor hires a crew for a whole week every spring to manicure his 2 1/2 acre lot. The leaf blowers run 7 AM to 8 PM for a week.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Don't forget the joy of leaf blowers. My neighbor hires a crew for a whole week every spring to manicure his 2 1/2 acre lot. The leaf blowers run 7 AM to 8 PM for a week.
My former neighbor had a crew of six working on his five acres every Thursday from 8:30 to 6:00, every week all year long. At least three machines going at once, all day long. He was a very high powered exec at a large company, and of course he was never home to listen to the racket.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

My neighbor and I have fallen into a pattern of trying to cut the lawn at the same time to minimize the noise for each other. Normally one of us starts cutting the grass and if the other one isn't busy they will make the effort to cut it at the same time. It's not a big deal and no one is under any obligation to comply, but it does increase the overall "quiet time".
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Even if I try, I can't make as much noise with my woodworking tools, leaf blower, chain saws, air compressors and power washer as my next door neighbor does . He has more tools than I - including generators, welders, etc. I'm glad that we both do all of our loud work during the middle of the day.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

You can set your watch by the landscaping guys at the condo. 8:00AM on the dot. Now, however, I may or may not wake up. If I do, I can roll over and go back to sleep if I choose. Once I get used to a certain set of noises, I can usually sleep through them. We have a fair amount of traffic and more than our share of sirens at all hours. I can usually sleep through or go back to sleep. In the old days in the midwest, the first clap or two of a thunderstorm would wake me. After that, I generally slept through anything but a tornado.

Years ago, we moved from an urban setting to a farm setting. The quiet kept me awake for several days until I adapted. Go figure. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I really like this thread. People recoil in horror at the prospect of city living and all it's noise. But I never hear any, and I have lived many years in multi-family housing in big cities. Maybe an occasional woman who really loves love. But this rarely troubles me. OTOH some guy mowing at 7 am because he doesn't want to shower-up after? That is what yard men are for.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote