Join Early Retirement Today

NetFlix
Old 11-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

NetFlix

Bob_Smith states on another thread that he uses NetFlix and I've been thinking about it for a while. Anyone else have experience? We have a Blockbuster about 2 minutes from the house but they only carry the mainsteam and recent stuff. With homeschooling we use movies and documentaries alot. The library has a decent collection but still there are titles we can't get. We're currently into Julius Caesar and are looking for accurate historical stuff. Anyway, what is your NetFlix experience?

Thanks,
Judy
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: NetFlix
Old 11-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you watch a bunch of movies, it's an OK deal. Personally, I've got all of the media I can handle without paying a recurring fee for more of the same, so I canceled NetFlix and just live with the occasional flick broadcast via satellite to my TiVo-like PVR for on-demand viewing.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Judy,
- We like Netflix a lot. They carry a lot of movies you won't find in the video store (the Rex the Runt series! The Omega Man! etc). Their price seems reasonable (about $18 per month) and there's no postage. It's very convenient. Many months we watch very few movies so it might be cheaper to rent locally--but the local folks don't have the good flicks worth spending 2 hours on.
- One good friend of mine joined because of his fiance. She was always forgetting to bring back movies to Blockbuster--they'd get in big arguments when he'd find a movie jammed into the sofa cushions for which he was being billed 20 bucks. With Netflix they don't care how long you keep the movies--they'll send you another one when you mail one in.
- By the way--I wouldn't buy stock in Netflix (if they are public). Their monthly subscription price went up a few months ago, then back down (I think they lost members over the 2 buck increase). Plus, video over broadband or some other means will probably be practical in a few years at low cost--mailing disks back and forth will be "so 2005."

samclem
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Judy, we plan to use Netflix in the winter only, primarily for all the series we're behind on - like Sopranos (our favorite), Oz, Wired, 24, Six Feet Under, etc.). We enjoy it. One thing I have noticed is that not a single disk has skipped, stopped, or stuttered like most of our local rental DVDs do. I believe Netflix puts them through a wash. Initially I was surprised they were mailing DVDs in thin paper envelopes, but it sure hasn't impaired the quality.

The process is very easy - just drop the disk in the self-addressed stamped envelope they include, and mail it back when you're done. I don't live near a Blockbuster, but if you do there may be advantages to their service.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #5

FYI, I think Wal-Mart was/is going to launch a competing service. Also, last time I was at my local Hollywood Video they had a similar deal where you pay a monthly fee and can 'rent' at no extra cost any number of videos a month, but it only included the older stock and not the new releases. I like the idea of a local store to pick up and drop off.

I haven't tried it yet, but as much a couch potato as I am, I don't think I would use it enough to get my money out money's worth.

EDIT: Edited for nonsensical language. What was I thinking? Must've been distracted.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We belonged to Netflix for about 2 years or so. It's great as long as you would typically rent 3-4 dvds a month anyway -- you'll break even. The turn around was quite fast...we would return a movie and have a new one 3 days later. We finally cancelled because we got TiVo and now have more of what we like to watch available whenever we want it. We supplement that with the occasional pay per view flick.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We've had Netflix before and absolutely loved it. I don't know if its the best deal around, but since we don't have cable or even broadcast TV, and have always managed to live far from a decent video store it has been a life saver for us.

The selection at Netflix is certainly better than most Blockbuster/Hollywood video stores, and it saves us the hassle of getting to the store and then wasting 30 minutes debating what to get. The spouse and I just load up our queue with alternating preferences so we're both happy. Plus if I read an online review, or a friend tells me about a great film, I can immediately jump online and add it to the list. Very convenient.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We like Netflix. We've used it since last Christmas and have certainly had our money's worth. The "queue" system is good in that any movie that you hear about you can simply add to the queue. Then go in later to re-order the list. I certainly agree that it beats driving over to the local video store, even though ours is only 5 mins away. I'd rather sit in front of the computer and read a review than see hundreds of dvd boxes on racks. We don't have tivo and use netflix to see tv series that are spoiled by incessant commercials elsewhere. They even have heaps of obscure UK tv, which stops us feeling so homesick. Our dvd turnround is fast. We returned all three movies in Saturday's mail and received three new ones today (Tuesday) - maybe we're closer than most to the distribution center?
Old 11-30-2004, 04:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

forgot to say - our local library has hundreds of dvds for free rental. They surely have lots of educational material, they have regular movies too and PBS series/mysteries. It's well worth enquiring.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
We don't have tivo and use netflix to see tv series that are spoiled by incessant commercials elsewhere.
Isn't that the truth. I've gotten to the point where I'm so sick and tired of being targeted by marketing and advertising in virtually every aspect of my life. I can't listen to the radio without hearing incessant commercials every 10 minutes or so, and combined with the fact that 95% of the songs played (overplayed, overplayed, and overplayed) are completely lacking in originality, I've simply turned it off. These days I listen to books on CD in the car, and when I'm home, I don't really listen to anything (since I'm never home much). The same goes for TV. There's nothing like an annoying commercial break to ruin the flow of a good TV series. Likewise, many TV shows have built-in cliffhangers at the end, hoping to get you to come back and watch the show next week. Frankly, I'd rather have the answer to the cliffhanger NOW, rather than wait a whole week to know.

As for hard-to-find shows, such as those shown in the UK, I agree. Many of those shows aren't on TV in the U.S. anymore (if they ever were to begin with) in light of the FCC's new role as TV nanny.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads
Old 11-30-2004, 07:34 PM   #11

Ads

I'm also sick of ads everywhere.

A radio station in Indianapolis, 101.9, has been playing 70's and 80's commercial free for a month or two now. I think they're about to start ads, but it's been a nice break to never have to change the station due to commercials. (Have changed for some unliked songs, though...)

Makes me think of checking into XM or Sirius, but I expect they will eventually go the way of cable TV and put ads in anyway.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're also seasonal netflix users, but in the summer when everythings in re-runs.

The good: make a list of everything you want to see, even before it hits the theaters, sort it by order and get 3-6 dvds off that list every week if you're dilligent about turning them over. $18 a month for that isnt bad. We watched about 100 dvd's last summar for about $80.

The bad: if you rent a lot, and even if you dont, netflix can 'prioritize' new releases. You'll get them fast if you're on a free trial, or if you're an occasional user. If you pump through dvd's quite quickly, you mighjt wait a few weeks to get the new stuff. If you rent often, you might also find that the "post office is geting slow" about moving your movies both ways What is normally a 1-2 day post office route became 3+ days on a regular basis with netflix.

Blockbuster was no better. For $25 you get to go pluck them from the shelves, but nights and weekend excursions found emtpy shelves. Their "we have it or its free" doesnt work very well when you're on an unlimited plan.

I wouldnt mind netflix if they came right out and SAID "if you rent a lot, you're going to get lower priority for new releases, and while we say "unlimited", what we really man is xx dvd's per month, after which we will throttle you and blame the post office.

But its still a good deal, and they DO have unusual and hard to find stuff.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:17 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the great info. Sometimes I research things to death!

Quote:
"we have it or its free"
regarding Blockbuster, I heard when in the store this week that they no longer do that!

I'm going to give NetFlix a try.

Judy