Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
+1 - I am doing the same thing. I think this is one of those greed deals, now that they got all the new subscribers, let's hit them hard. It may hurt them in the end........
Same here. Dropped the streaming with just 2 DVD's.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #22
Administrator

I'm not sure this is greed or careful strategy. I have been a netflix customer since they began doing business with their original mail paks. Every change they have made has been in this same, abrupt 'take it or leave it" fashion.

They are having bandwidth issues that are affecting their streaming service levels and (to me) need to upgrade their capacity. They will soon face a challenge with the ISPs over who will pay for the bandwidth customers use. This change gives them a better and more precise understanding of the demand curve for their streaming service. They definitely need to increase the revenue from streaming so they can buy more programming.

I think this is a step in making their DVD rental business a cash cow while they pursue leadership in the more strategic VOD.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently the next move should be buying Netflix stock. They don't seem to be suffering from backlash yet: Netflix, Inc.: NASDAQ:NFLX quotes & news - Google Finance

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I canceled it today. We were getting two disk at a time, and they set around for weeks sometimes before we would watch them. I thought we would watch more streaming but we didn't. We tape most of what we watch and usually have a backlog. So to some extent it was the price change that cause us to cancel, as it just highlighted the fact we were not using it that much.

Side note: This is the second time we have canceled Netflix. It seems we keep it for about two years, then drop it for a couple of years.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

For the time being, I will keep the 1 DVD at a time + streaming package. But, at this price, Netflix is not the obvious choice that it used to be.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

We only had streaming through our Roku. Thought about getting the one DVD package but from $2 to $8, that's a 400% increase. Will think about it once I get through all the movies and shows in my queue. It helps that I like foreign films (The Good, the Bad and the Weird) and TV shows (BBC's Sherlock).
Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Apparently the next move should be buying Netflix stock. They don't seem to be suffering from backlash yet: Netflix, Inc.: NASDAQ:NFLX quotes & news - Google Finance
Or at the very least don't short the stock, like some of us have done .

It skyrocketed from 260 to almost 300.

I do use both streaming and discs but not a lot of either. I guess I will drop streaming, cause I definitely don't watch $16/month worth of movies from them.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

We currently have streaming and one disc. We use the one disc for newer TV shows. I think what we'll do is drop the disc and then once a year upgrade to catch up on the previous year's shows, so we'll pay the higher fee for a few months a year and then go back to just streaming.
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Or at the very least don't short the stock, like some of us have done .
Been there, done that, got the shredded bloody t-shirt...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Our public library rents new DVDs (regular + blu-ray) for $1 for a week - that's where we do the majority of our renting now. We've watched exactly one redbox DVD, when it wasn't available at the library (a week is better than 24 hours).

We gave up Netflix when they raised our monthly rate due to the great streaming that we can't use because we have satellite internet.

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Well, I was annoyed about this Netflix change, but then someone pointed this out to me. I guess I have to agree.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Streaming is out for us since we have the cheapest FIOS Internet - heck, YouTube hangs up on me more often than not.

We get the one-at-a-time DVD service and have noticed, over the last couple of years that the DVDs are in poorer and poorer condition - unplayable, even. We figure they don't care about quality control because they want to get out of the DVD distribution business.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm not sure this is greed or careful strategy. I have been a netflix customer since they began doing business with their original mail paks. Every change they have made has been in this same, abrupt 'take it or leave it" fashion.

They are having bandwidth issues that are affecting their streaming service levels and (to me) need to upgrade their capacity. They will soon face a challenge with the ISPs over who will pay for the bandwidth customers use. This change gives them a better and more precise understanding of the demand curve for their streaming service. They definitely need to increase the revenue from streaming so they can buy more programming.

I think this is a step in making their DVD rental business a cash cow while they pursue leadership in the more strategic VOD.
This.

I don't have a problem with the price hike. I've done the one DVD at a time and streaming for a while now. I basically stream everything and rarely use the DVD's anymore, except for New Releases. They've been working towards increasing their streaming library lately, and quite frankly it's leaps and bounds better than it was a year ago. Digital/Streaming is the way of the future and I think Netflix is just trying to position themselves to better compete in that space.

There's also a bandwith issue and another issue with the contracts they have in place with studios. I read earlier this week that they had an agreement in place with one of the studios (I believe the one that produced the movie Salt?) to start streaming their films, but exceeded the number of views they were contractually allowed to provide users with, and had to pull the movies. I'm not sure if that's 100% true but it wouldn't shock me.

For now I'll probably just go with the streaming service. I may add the one DVD at a time back to it in the winter months here. But if they continue to improve their library I probably won't.
Klubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We do streaming with one DVD at a time. I don't like the huge increase but will live with it for the time being. The only complaint we have is that on Sundays it is sometime difficult to get streaming at all. Too many users I guess. We've never received a damaged DVD.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #35

The streaming + 1 CD seemed to be too good of a deal anyway. I'll just go to streaming, and if I want something current, use the streaming Amazon (kind of pricy) or hit a redbox (seems too good to be true). I have a Roku and love it. There are several movie alternatives / supplements to netflix on Roku also.
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #36

We had the streaming & DVDs for a while now. Haven't ordered an actual DVD in years. Now we pay $2 less a month, get unlimited streaming (which we use a lot) and still don't get DVDs by mail. I love the new pricing
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #37

streaming is the best way to go for me. If I see a movie that I want to rent. ( which is pretty seldom these days with the quality of most of the new releases) I get it at redbox for 1. the only problem with netflix is that you have to remember the name of the movie you are looking for as their search option goes by alphabet and if you can't think of a good movie to watch there is no guide to look through except you queue.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #38

Can anyone with Netflix tell me if the DVDs or streaming method is closed captioned? I figure the DVDs are but not sure of the streaming.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Can anyone with Netflix tell me if the DVDs or streaming method is closed captioned? I figure the DVDs are but not sure of the streaming.
Some streaming movies are closed captioned but they are visible on my PC but not my Roku. Netflix is trying to increase the percentage of CC streaming titles but it is about 30%. On the other hand captioning for Foreign Language movies are visible on both my PC and Roku so it should not be too difficult.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Frank,

Do you rate the movies you've watched? Netflex uses that to generate recommendations based on the type of movies you have enjoyed. While not a perfect system, it has recommended some movies we never would have found on our own, and really enjoyed (e.g. "Brazil," "Vitus," "Raising Arizona," "Bagdad Cafe.")

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
if you can't think of a good movie to watch there is no guide to look through except you queue.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote