Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think bandwidth will be the problem, at least for a while. I think content (lack of) will keep streaming from being a giant killer for the dvd business. Currently the majority of the streamed offerings are crap, and I have read an awful lot about the content owners not wanting to give that much flexibility to customers. At least until they can figure out a more profitable way to do it. They like the pay-per-view concept a lot. Watch as much as you want for a single cost? Not so much.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Read in the local paper this morning that Verizon will launch a movie streaming option of their own. Everything in our house is Verizon FIOS and with the Blue Ray player and Verizon streaming, I think we have all the bases covered. All this is a boon to DW. For the most part, I hate movies because I don't have the patience to sit still that long. Has to be something special to hold me that long. I mentioned some time ago, the last movie I saw at a theater was Titantic.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Read in the local paper this morning that Verizon will launch a movie streaming option of their own. Everything in our house is Verizon FIOS and with the Blue Ray player and Verizon streaming, I think we have all the bases covered. All this is a boon to DW. For the most part, I hate movies because I don't have the patience to sit still that long. Has to be something special to hold me that long. I mentioned some time ago, the last movie I saw at a theater was Titantic.
(emphasis mine) Johnnie, I am exactly the same way! I thought I was the only one who doesn't care to watch movies. I have the HBO and Showtime channels, and I haven't watched a single movie on either. I planned to join Netflix when I retired, until I realized that I just don't have the patience for movies. I have a DVD player and haven't even bothered to hook it up to the TV.

I do watch TV, but shorter shows for the most part.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
............ the last movie I saw at a theater was Titantic.
Yea, well at least there was the suspense of wondering if the ship would sink.........
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I thought I was the only one who doesn't care to watch movies. I have the HBO and Showtime channels, and I haven't watched a single movie on either. I planned to join Netflix when I retired, until I realized that I just don't have the patience for movies. I have a DVD player and haven't even bothered to hook it up to the TV.

I do watch TV, but shorter shows for the most part.
Sounds like you need to subscribe to the Short Attention Span Network...
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I confess, I have the same problem. I simply can't sit through something that lasts longer than 1 hour, and doesn't have "breaks" (i.e. commercials I can mute and ignore). I have trouble getting through my owned DVDs more than 1/2 hour at a time... Pretty bad!

I never subscribed to Netflix as it didn't match my lifestyle, so this is a fascinating thread to read. I have enjoyed streaming stuff though - I watch a lot of YouTube videos on my iPad or on TV via AppleTV.

Audrey
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For the most part, I hate movies because I don't have the patience to sit still that long.
Quote:
Johnnie, I am exactly the same way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I confess, I have the same problem. I simply can't sit through something that lasts longer than 1 hour, and doesn't have "breaks" (i.e. commercials I can mute and ignore). I have trouble getting through my owned DVDs more than 1/2 hour at a time... Pretty bad!

Audrey

I guess I'm not alone! Maybe we need a poll.

OTOH, if something captures my interest, I can easily sit through a long program. But I seldom decide that I want to sit down for 90 minutes to watch something. I'm the same way with books - magazine articles, short stories are great. And I sometimes 'get into' a long book, but it isn't something I do very often.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's the one for me. But I can play video games for hours. I guess I just find most movies to be boring and watching them is so very passive.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been getting by with those $1 or $3 nightly rentals from the red kiosks at WalMart. Also go to the library from time to time to see what's new.

Works for us, since both of us do not watch many movies - maybe one or two a month, tops.

Sometimes, Craigslist and garage sales will have older DVDs for $1-$2, and could represent a nice value. I picked up a DVD of I, Robot just the other day for $1. have not watch it yet.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I think it's the passivity of just sitting and watching that gets to me, even if the content is top notch. And most content is NOT top notch.

I watch mostly Spanish language content now, and I think I prefer it simply because of the intellectual challenge/stimulation of comprehension in a 2nd language.

Audrey
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yes, so do I. However, it helps to have a DVR, since watching HBO over DirecTV, when my mind begins to wander, I can just press the Pause button on my remote, and go do something else for a while, or watch something else, then return and press Play to continue. DVRs are great for flibbertigibbets. I don't have enough bandwidth to stream good quality picture and sound, and don't have the incentive to buy more bandwidth, since I don't care to be chained to my TV screen, anyway. There's a bit of a war going on between TV watchers, on the one hand, and advertisers and content providers, on the other, who get more and more nervous as consumers gain more control over the programming they watch.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

I typically use netflix to stop me from getting distracted during a mundane computer task or while exercising. The content doesn't need to be great for that, just good enough. I've streamed every epidsode of Ice Road Truckers they offer, for instance.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a short attention span, I am a multitasker!

Unless it's really good, I rarely devote my full attention to a movie.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #94

I'm with the short attention span people, but my wife is not. She likes the long movies and such.

I thought it was more typical of my generation (younger than most here) to have the short attention span, but seems it's more common than I thought.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, I think it's the passivity of just sitting and watching that gets to me, even if the content is top notch. And most content is NOT top notch.

I watch mostly Spanish language content now, and I think I prefer it simply because of the intellectual challenge/stimulation of comprehension in a 2nd language.

Audrey
This was so enjoyable for me to read because I truly thought I was the only one who wanted to do more than just stare at a screen (phone/computer/TV/movie) in my leisure time! Almost anything to me is more enjoyable than just sitting and vegging out. The computer doesn't seem as passive since I am actively surfing and writing. I just can't believe that anyone will say on their deathbed that they regret that they didn't watch more TV or even movies! That said, I must admit that I am a little jealous of people who are so easily entertained when I have to work harder to find interesting stuff to do/learn, etc.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

I will show Netflix what I think of them!

I will cancel my account which costs me a whopping $22 a month. Then I will start renting DVD's for a box at the local store. That will cost me about $8 a month. And the cost of gas to drive back and forth to the store about $4 a month. And my time, of course, which has no value - $0 month. Then, I will subscribe to another Internet streaming service. Actually 2 since no other single service can match what Netflix offers. That will be another $15 a month. So for $27 dollar a month and several hours a month of my valueless time, I will teach Netflix a lesson!!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So for $27 dollar a month and several hours a month of my valueless time, I will teach Netflix a lesson!!
Nice try. I just joined Redbox. It's on my way to a daily stop, so there's no extra gas or time involved. $1 a pop ($1.50 for Blu-rays), and it fulfills our wish to see the new movie releases that are not available via Netflix streaming. (What's more, Redbox gave me a free rental after my first one, and by signing up for text alerts I'll be getting a free rental monthly.)

And, in fact, Netflix has been taught a lesson by the astronomical number of cancellations and the resulting lower stock price. CEO Reed Hastings: "We've hurt our hard-earned reputation and stalled our domestic growth .... Our primary issue is many of our long-term members felt shocked by the pricing changes, and more of them have expressed that by canceling Netflix than we expected."

I was a big Netflix fan for years. No more.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Of course, I was not serious. Redbox is fine, but does not have many of the titles that I am interested in.

Netflix as a stock was not a great deal, IMHO. But, as a company it was and is a good deal for many of us. Often we must realize that a great company may not make a great stock and visa-versa.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, I was not serious. Redbox is fine, but does not have many of the titles that I am interested in.

Netflix as a stock was not a great deal, IMHO. But, as a company it was and is a good deal for many of us. Often we must realize that a great company may not make a great stock and visa-versa.
Actually your post does make sense for some... their streaming seems to be good and cheaper than others...

I do not use them, nor ever have... but I do have a friend who does and they seem to be pretty good... he only used streaming so to him nothing has changed...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

And it was a good deal and no longer is for many of us.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote