Join Early Retirement Today

Netflix DVD Issues
Old 03-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Netflix DVD Issues

Hi Folks,

I have a Netflix subscription which allows 2 DVDs at a time plus unlimited streaming. Due to the limited streaming catalog -- especially for newer movies -- I find myself using the DVD snail mail service somewhat frequently.

Have those of you who also get DVDs in the mail from Netflix noticed a increase in the number of disks that either don't play at all, or freeze in the middle? Note: the disks I get are Blu-Ray as opposed to 'DVD' format.

During the last disk we watched the audio completely vanished about 2/3 of the way through! Occasionally I can rectify the situation by pulling out the disk and wiping it down, but that only works some of the time, and it's a PITA. Of course, I can send the disk back to Netflix and they replace it no questions asked, but there's a 3-4 day turnaround for that.

Looking for any similar experiences out there.

Thanks...
Trooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every now and then I get a bluray that doesn't work. I'd say one in 10?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Hi Folks,

Have those of you who also get DVDs in the mail from Netflix noticed a increase in the number of disks that either don't play at all, or freeze in the middle? Note: the disks I get are Blu-Ray as opposed to 'DVD' format.

During the last disk we watched the audio completely vanished about 2/3 of the way through! Occasionally I can rectify the situation by pulling out the disk and wiping it down, but that only works some of the time, and it's a PITA. Of course, I can send the disk back to Netflix and they replace it no questions asked, but there's a 3-4 day turnaround for that.

Thanks...
We don't get Blu-Ray, but occasionally we do receive DVD's that freeze, etc. Try this: go to your queue; go to the disk that's not working; click on "problem" and follow the very few directions and Netflix will immediately send you out a disk to replace the unusable one. Send back the unusable disk at your leisure. Cuts down the turnaround time by a couple of days.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
We don't get Blu-Ray, but occasionally we do receive DVD's that freeze, etc. Try this: go to your queue; go to the disk that's not working; click on "problem" and follow the very few directions and Netflix will immediately send you out a disk to replace the unusable one. Send back the unusable disk at your leisure. Cuts down the turnaround time by a couple of days.
+1
Only one bad DVD in 5 or 6 years, but they were very good about it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

I was a longtime subscriber to the NF Blu-ray/DVD plan up until about 6 months ago, and I'd say I only had about 3 or 4 that wouldn't play over the years. Ultimately I realized I just wasn't getting much value out of the disc plan, since the streaming selection had grown tremendously and I could always get recent movies "on demand" from Redbox or other sources if I really felt the urge (which happens rarely).
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I might be wrong on this, or it's just my personal experience, but it seems that computers with DVD do a far better job reading discs than do the dedicated players I've tried.

I'm guessing the heavier processor capability of a laptop is better at error correction and buffering than most dedicated players? DW watches hers on the computer, always has a steady queue and almost never has problems. When we were watching library DVDs on our player, they were terrible, drop outs and freezes were common.

I'd imagine BluRay would be harder to read with more density, but then again, they may have improved the error correction?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We get 5 or 6 DVD's (no Blu Ray) per month from Netflix and rarely have any problems with any of them. Maybe once or twice a year we have a problem (usually freeze fame) but I haven't noticed any increase in problem frequency. We do have a top of the line and later model DVD player but I'm not sure if that helps or not.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #8

This has happened a few times but not often. Each time it is because the disc is scratched or otherwise abused. I went to the "problem" section on the website as redduck suggested earlier and received a replacement disc in 2 days. On a few occasions they have even sent an extra disc from my list as a courtesy.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I used to be on the Blu-Ray plan, but was getting a lot of discs that didn't work. I decided it was my old (early tech) blu-ray player trying to play new tech discs, and downgraded to regular dvds. I haven't had a single problem since. I bought a new blu-ray player, but never bothered to upgrade the subscription. I mostly watch them on my laptop, anyway, so no need for blu-ray.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:50 AM   #10

Ditto. I went back to the DVD plan after several BDs that wouldn't play. Then I got a new BD player, and went back to the BD plan and things were fine. Once your BD player is no longer receiving maintenance software updates from its manufacturer, your chances for this to occur increase, and if your BD player's manufacturer is either slow or incomplete in their updates, that will also increase your chances.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote