Join Early Retirement Today

Never been pulled over by the police?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Never been pulled over by the police?

I was driving with my wife today to get the kid a new cell phone and we passed a guy who had been pulled over by the police. My wife made the comment that it sucks to be pulled over but that it has been awhile since either of us has been pulled over, and how your heart drops when you see those flashing lights in your rear view mirror.

I made a comment that I wondered if there was anyone out there who had NEVER been pulled over? She felt that there probably was someone out there who had been pulled over but not received a ticket but that most everyone has at least been pulled over at some point in their life. I know that I am not that person--I can safely claim I have been pulled over and also gotten a ticket. The last time I got pulled over I got off without a ticket, last ticket I got was easily 10-15 years ago.

So is there one lucky soul out there who has never had that heart racing excitement of seeing those flashing lights in your mirror? I mean you haven't lived until then right?
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Almost....I've been pulled over twice, both over 30 years ago, but somehow avoided a ticket both times. Another time when I was in high school I saw the flashing lights in my mirror and pulled over...and then nothing. I got out of the car only to find out that I had seen a set of flashing stop lights in the mirror. My girlfriend didn't let me live that one down for a while!

Knock wood.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Between the ages of 16 and 25 I was pulled over more than a half a dozen times for various reasons. Only once was for speeding and that's the only one I got a ticket for.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

I've been pulled over plenty.

My wife never has-Something she reminds me of whenever I am.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #5

Been pulled over plenty, usually for good reason.

But once I got "profiled". I was an innocent twenty two year old, in my old beater car, on a Sunday morning, driving with long hair. Cop pulls me over, asks "How much you had to drink today ?" No ticket or anything, just harassment.
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I was pulled over once in 1972, hey, it was a speed trap, turn from 40 mph to 25.

I sold my car in 1980; because it's been so long since I've been pulled over, the state gives me special privileges when I renew my driver's license.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Last time I was pulled over was in 1965 or 66. They called it 'exhibition of acceleration' back then. Peeled out from a stop sign.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Last time I was pulled over was about a month ago, for speeding.

Ha
Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Administrator

I've been pulled over 4 times in my life (twice in England, twice in the USA). First time it was for not having a tax disc displayed, but in fact it had been stolen so I didn't get fined once they determined it was currently taxed - my car was so crappy that it had been broken into, just to steal the tax disc (the thief was found 9 months later used my now out of date disc, and the police let us know)

2nd time was a just a warning for speeding a little bit over the limit.

3rd and 4th times were typical Louisiana speed traps in small towns (Golden Meadow and Crotz Springs) - speed limit drops and you don't notice until the blue lights. First time was for doing 35 in a 25, second time was for 55 in a 45.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #10

I know of one person who has never been pulled over for anything....my Mom! She's driven all over the country over the years, and she's never been nabbed! Not even once! She's also one of the few drivers that I'm very comfortable riding with, because she's a very careful and alert driver!!!

As for myself....been pulled over 3 times, and those were all over 30 years ago! The first time was back when I was still a long-hair, driving my '77 custom van, the back off which was windowless. (I was a member of the local van club that was the target of constant harassment.) A local smart@ss cowboy cop pulled me over, and started giving me a raft of crap about having a burnt out headlight. I told him that the reason I was pulling into the auto parts store, when he bravely pulled me over, was to buy a new one and install it before it got completely dark out.

The second was by an state trooper at about midnight on a Sunday night, along a nearly deserted stretch of highway between here and the next town east. I was cruisin' along at a fair rate of speed, when my headlights illuminated the orange front fender marker on the trooper car parked off the road about 25' behind some bushes. CRAP!!! I just went ahead and pulled over and waited for him to catch up to me, 'cause I knew for a fact that I'd been had!

He walked up and asked if I was aware of how fast I was going, and I said "Yes, sir". He said he clocked me at 76 mph in a 55 zone. I told him that I thought he was wrong. He then asked how fast I thought I was going, and I told him that I knew I was going 87 mph! He repeated that he'd said 76, and I repeated that I'd said 87! He got laughing so hard that he was almost in tears. He said in all of his years, he'd NEVER had anybody argue that they were going faster than what he said. But it got me out of a ticket! He only gave me a written warning, because I had made his night!

About 3 years later, I was pulled over for the third time while driving my Grandad's "new" '39 Chevy flatbed.....no license tags, no State safety sticker, no tail lights, brake lights, or turn signal lights, and bald tires. The lights came on and I pulled over. Looking in the rearview mirror, what do I see? The same state trooper!!! He came up to the window and looked in, and started laughing. He said "Geez, not you again!? This has got to be a doozy of a story....so go ahead and tell me!" I told him the whole story behind it...which boiled down to the fact that I was taking the truck to get the new tires put on, so we could get tags and a safety sticker. The tire shop was only about 1/4 mile farther up the highway, and the tires were tied to the bare truck frame, because I'd just tore the old original flatbed off so we could replace it. He told me to get it there, park it, and not drive it again 'til it was road worthy!

Except fo the one written warning, I've never been given a ticket, and have never been pulled over since way back when! (knock on wood!)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

DW's SIL had 2 things that got her out of several tickets - also got her DW's cop DB as a BF and then DH. If you catch my drift. Maybe a ticket would have been better. DW's DB (my BIL) can be an SOB.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once, for going through a yellow light, no ticket. It is going to happen some day though...I don't exactly drive below the speed limit on the highways, especially when it's completely empty.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Last time I was pulled over was about a month ago, for speeding.

Ha
That is very interesting Ha, considering you don't have a car. Walking too fast in Seattle, eh, Mr. Natural?

When I was first at the U of W, there was a kid who got a speeding ticket on his ten-speed. Going down one of Seattle's hills.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Only 3 times...
1. College days in my Mom's Mustang driving over to another college town to get Harry Chapin tickets. Passed a honey wagon on a double yellow in a 55 mph zone and didn't see the 35 mph sign in the process. The cop only gave me the speeding ticket for a few miles over because he could tell I was truthful about not seeing the speed limit change. Took my lumps and it disappeared off my license after 1 year.
2. Current home town in the mid 90s. I have a few beers while waiting for a call ahead pizza to finish cooking. I got pulled over 1/2 mile from my house. I admitted to having 2 beers and told the cop exactly which house I lived in and that I was heading straight there. Pizza sitting on the seat in plain view. No ticket.
3. Speeding ticket leaving w*rk in 04. Cop wrote me a ticket for 52 in a 30 mph zone. I was not going anywhere near that fast. I beat the ticket with the old "Engineer with the Radar Specs" trick.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

In 45 years of driving, I have received two speeding tickets (both in "speed traps" and for speeds less than 10 mph in excess of posted speed).

Once at age 17 I received a ticket for violating a no left turn sign that I had not seen due to foliage. This was at 7 AM on a Sunday morning in downtown Honolulu, which was deserted at that hour. I was practicing driving by myself (oh well).

Once I was pulled over because the yearly registration sticker was not yet affixed; it was in my purse (I just hadn't put it on yet), so I put it on while the policeman watched.

I think that is about it. Pretty wild, huh.

I don't know anybody who has commuted to work for decades (or who has driven an equivalent amount) without having been pulled over for something at least once. That's OK. The policemen are keeping us on our toes, and doing their jobs.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was pulled over by a State Trooper in 1979 for speeding. I was going 75 mph in a 65 mph zone. My speedometer was broken. Really...it was.

Haven't been pulled over since.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was 18 and heading off to college for my freshman year. My father was dropping me off and we took turns driving. While I was driving (and dad in the front passenger seat), I got pulled over for speeding.

As embarrassed as I was, my dad was pretty cool about the whole thing. He just made a casual remark to the affect that I should probably be careful the rest of the way. It was never spoken of again.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have never gotten a speeding ticket but did get a ticket for missing a stop sign. They had just installed stop signs and flashing red lights on an intersection that didn't have them for over 20 years. I had little sleep the night before and totally forgot about the newly added stop signs.

There were times I was surprised I didn't get ticket. One time I obviously blew a red light with a cop right behind me. It was in heavy traffic so when I saw his red lights flashing I pulled into a car wash expecting him to stop and write me up, but after waiting there for about five minutes, he didn't show up. I guess maybe he decided to pursue the car ahead of me since that car also missed the light, or he just got lazy and didn't want to pull in the car wash parking area.
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #19

I have been pulled over twice while driving. The first time was 20 years ago in Monterey, CA. I had seen the motorcycle officer many, many times sitting right outside a certain tunnel where the speed limit drops quickly from 40 to 25(a speed trap if you will). I had my son and two little friends of his in the car with me. The officer asked me if I was military as the car had New York plates. One of the boys began yakking away about how he either wanted to be a police officer or a marine biologist when he grew up and I think he kinda charmed the fellow who let me off with just a warning. The second time was about five years ago in Corning, NY. I had driven up with a friend from work to visit her sister and brother in law for the week-end. We went out to a sports bar for dinner and left fairly early(maybe nine o'clock) to go back to their home when I got pulled over by two officers. I had only had one glass of wine at the bar(thank goodness) and had to shush my friend who yelped from the backseat "You've been drinking!(She's a teetotaller). The officer came up to my side of the car with a flashlight and asked to see my license and the auto registration and told me that the reason he pulled me over was that it was illegal in NY State to have a license plate holder that obscures any part of the plate(I don't know what you call it, but is was one of those frames the dealer puts on the plate with their name on it, and I was driving with PA plates). He swept the car with the flashlight to have a look at everyone in the car, asked where we were headed and where we had been and then he said okay, you can go.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
That is very interesting Ha, considering you don't have a car. Walking too fast in Seattle, eh, Mr. Natural?

When I was first at the U of W, there was a kid who got a speeding ticket on his ten-speed. Going down one of Seattle's hills.
I have a car, an 06 Subaru Impreza. I drive it usually once or twice a week. I got the ticket out in Shoreline, in a speed trap. But I admit I am not virgin when it comes to speeding.

You know who should get speeding tickets is those skater maniacs that run down Pine St Hill in the very middle, quite a bit faster than traffic.

Hey Ed, I have another Seattle tidbit for you. Cops are walking a beat centered on 3rd and Pine. Two young tough looking cops in reflector sunglasses marching side by side. I have been wondering if they might start, and I am quite glad to see it.

Ha