Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fun!
My main bike is almost 30 years old - works/fits great, I can't justify replacing it.
Two years ago, I did buy three new frames (for special projects) on a close-out deal at Random Bike Parts (see link) - two carbon fiber, one welded aluminum. Too much going on right now.

https://www.randombikeparts.com/coll...-and-framesets
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #22

My oldest bike is 35 yrs old. I'd be crippled if I tried to ride it as a mtb these days although it was my first mtb way back. Fully rigid, cro-moly 26er. Now it is good for cruising the strand down by the beach. The lbs where I bought it is still in business although it has a younger owner. I still patronize them (although I do all my own wrenching). Support your local lbs.

DSCN1797.jpg
Old 07-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I’ve ridden a Trek hybrid for many years. Crushed stone and asphalt trails and on roads. But now I’m spending a lot of mornings hiking and running. I don’t feel like biking in the heat of the day after hiking or running.

So I bought an ebike 2 weeks ago. Specialized Como 3. I still get a little bit of a workout on it because I find myself going twice as far as I did on the Trek. And I can’t believe how much fun it is to ride. 20 mph with little effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01C40B12-B835-4270-B8BC-81FE591B6DEC.jpg (969.6 KB, 33 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Beautiful Salsa build. Congrats!

Jonesing for a new Hardtail mountain bike. Have a well worn workhorse alloy Stumpjumper which I use for gravel, cross country, sometimes cyclocross races and many miles of training. Would love to retire Stumpy and replace with a new carbon-framed rig equipped with a 1x12 drivetrain and a set of magically light and extraordinarily strong carbon hoops.

Sadly the frame I want is out of stock in my size so new bike day is many months away.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I don’t feel like biking in the heat of the day after hiking or running. So I bought an ebike 2 weeks ago. Specialized Como 3.
Sweet!

I ride dawn patrol. Too much sun over too many yrs. Fortunately, early riser is ingrained.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Beautiful Salsa build. Congrats!

Jonesing for a new Hardtail mountain bike. Have a well worn workhorse alloy Stumpjumper which I use for gravel, cross country, sometimes cyclocross races and many miles of training. Would love to retire Stumpy and replace with a new carbon-framed rig equipped with a 1x12 drivetrain and a set of magically light and extraordinarily strong carbon hoops.

Sadly the frame I want is out of stock in my size so new bike day is many months away.
My full-sus is carbon. SC Bronson. I love it. I searched the internet high and low to find the frame in my size. Lucked out and scored from an outfit out of Wisconsin.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
My full-sus is carbon. SC Bronson. I love it. I searched the internet high and low to find the frame in my size. Lucked out and scored from an outfit out of Wisconsin.
I've only ridden a Bronson once - and just an Aluminum one (it's the shop bike that Gravity Nelson rents out to all the MTB tourists in that part of NZ - honestly overkill for the sort of XC riding I was doing). You sir, have a great ride.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #28

Quote:

Your stable of bikes is high class!

We get team deals through Specialized so that’s what I ride. Full squish Epic, two Crux cross bikes (gotta have both a primary and a backup pit bike), and the aging Stumpy Hardtail.

I’m Fortunate that my lovely wife is very supportive of my sport.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I’ve ridden a Trek hybrid for many years. Crushed stone and asphalt trails and on roads. But now I’m spending a lot of mornings hiking and running. I don’t feel like biking in the heat of the day after hiking or running.

So I bought an ebike 2 weeks ago. Specialized Como 3. I still get a little bit of a workout on it because I find myself going twice as far as I did on the Trek. And I can’t believe how much fun it is to ride. 20 mph with little effort.
So can these also be pedaled for exercise? Maybe you should now be considered a motorcyclist.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
So can these also be pedaled for exercise? Maybe you should now be considered a motorcyclist.
Yes it is pedaled for exercise. just makes hills and against the wind rides easier.

It has 3 levels of motorized pedal assist. It's a heavy bike around 50 lbs, so I normally pedal with a low or medium motor setting.

Some bikes have a throttle and are illegal in some places. Mine does not have a throttle - I need to pedal to get anywhere. The motor just makes it easier.

On my hybrid if I was pedaling at 10 mph - is about the same exercise as pedaling the ebike on motor level 2 going 18-20 mph.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #31
gone traveling

My memory is foggy, but I seem to recall there was an elite european bicycle builder who was building bikes for elite racing competitors and he somehow incorporated micro electric motors that created an unfair advantage for the racers that was visually undetectable.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
My memory is foggy, but I seem to recall there was an elite european bicycle builder who was building bikes for elite racing competitors and he somehow incorporated micro electric motors that created an unfair advantage for the racers that was visually undetectable.
Early on undetectable, but they started using heat sensors I believe to catch the violators . A few have been caught including a woman. There are some interesting videos on YouTube regarding the subject showing the use of the motors in races.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #33

Someone is selling a Surly Long Haul Trucker for $500 on my local Craigslist. Arghhh. That is a $1,300 bike.

I already have 3 bikes (Brompton, Specialized Fat Boy, Tommaso Carbon road bike). Don't need another, but I hate passing up a good deal. :-)
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #34

Don't worry your wallet. There are none available.

I went to 3 bike shops to find a part. My go-to shop had 3 e-bikes, 1 $5k road bike and 4 $300 toddler bikes. That's it. Part I needed out of stock.
Shop 2 had 1 e-bike and 7 overpriced used rides. Part out of stock.
Shop 3 just opened this year. Owner told me his allotment of Specialized sold out before May. Maybe 2 e-bikes. Finally got the part I needed.

OP - Any trouble finding components for that sweet build?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I should not have clicked on this thread. I’ve been thinking of upgrading my entry level bike, since I have been riding more and more over the past couple of years. I ride mostly on rail trails and paved paths, so was thinking of either a gravel bike with drop bars or a better hybrid/ fitness bike with flat handlebars.

You all are a bunch of enablers. I’ve started looking at specs on the Trek website and thinking I need a couple of test rides.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #35

I'm very happy with my Road bike and my hybrid. But I still get jealous any time I read, like this OP, about someone getting a new bike!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice bike!
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Every night @ 5-6 pm we're off on our bikes. It's the best part of our day. We fly through tree lined neighborhoods. I do wish we had more challenging hills. Unfortunately, we live in the flat-lands of the Midwest...corn/soybean country. There are many country roads but can be dangerous with cars speeding.
That's the reason I have hesitated to get into biking. I need to find a substitute for running as I'm having more and more leg and foot issues. Biking came to mind, of course the timing is bad for trying to buy a bike, who would have thought. But I'm more than a little worried about getting run over by someone texting or reading email. Didn't have that worry when I was a kid. I'm in the country so people are going 40,50 maybe 60 mph. Seems like a hassle to load up a bike and drive to a park or trail. Most of the places I run aren't really that great for biking.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:05 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
attachment icon (paperclip above the message composition box).

My other bike is a full suspension, carbon, Santa Cruz Bronson. I like it a lot.

I have a Santa Cruz Tallboy, carbon. Love it but the rear hub makes a pretty loud clicking sound. I heard that's normal for higher end bikes but a little annoying.
scottpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpush View Post
I have a Santa Cruz Tallboy, carbon. Love it but the rear hub makes a pretty loud clicking sound. I heard that's normal for higher end bikes but a little annoying.
Your hubs might just need a bit of grease. Modern freehubs do vary in noise though. Some are as loud as the baseball cards we used to stick in the spokes 50 years ago and some are virtually silent. All benefit from the occasional bit of preventative maintenance.

Regardless, I like a bit of noise in a mountain bike hub as it serves as an alternative to a bell to alert other trail users of my approach. If I want quiet I'll ride the road bike.

PS What flavor of Tallboy? I'm a fan of the 3rd generation personally.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpush View Post
What brand of hub is it? I changed out the star ratchet on my DT Swiss and get a nice little buzz from the 36 tooth version. It is good for making my presence known. Except half the hikers have ear buds and the other half are staring at their phones in obliviousness-land.