Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah I heard grease might help. Went to the bike shop and they said they said the rear hubs just sound like that. They are really backed up with bikes to work on was probably the real issue.

I bought it in 2018. Not sure what generation that is. Do you?
scottpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
What brand of hub is it? I changed out the star ratchet on my DT Swiss and get a nice little buzz from the 36 tooth version. It is good for making my presence known. Except half the hikers have ear buds and the other half are staring at their phones in obliviousness-land.

Yeah I noticed that the hikers notice me more with the buzz. Good reason to have it. It's a DC Swiss 350. That's the extent of my knowledge of rear hubs!
Old 07-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bucks View Post
That's the reason I have hesitated to get into biking. I need to find a substitute for running as I'm having more and more leg and foot issues. Biking came to mind, of course the timing is bad for trying to buy a bike, who would have thought. But I'm more than a little worried about getting run over by someone texting or reading email. Didn't have that worry when I was a kid. I'm in the country so people are going 40,50 maybe 60 mph. Seems like a hassle to load up a bike and drive to a park or trail. Most of the places I run aren't really that great for biking.
Sharing the road with motor vehicles can indeed be scary. If the roads where you live are truly bike unfriendly, e.g., high speed limits, lack of adequate shoulders, you may be right in your apprehension. But I have logged 10's of thousands of road miles over the past 45 years (USA and abroad), and I have never been struck by a car. Some tips - find someone with road experience to ride with initially - any local clubs in your area? Riding with others enhances the enjoyment of the sport, and transfers to you the experience others have taken years to develop. Riding in moderate size groups (8 and under) is also safer, as motorists tend to give wide berth to groups. Use lights day and night (front and rear - the key to staying healthy is being seen by motorists (they actually do not want to run you over). Stay away from high speed roads, especially if they lack a wide enough shoulder for you to stay out of the lane of traffic. If you don't have safe roads close to the house, throw the bike in the car and drive somewhere where you feel safe. It's a pain, but at least you will be getting out on the bike.
Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Not sure if the same applies to mountain bikes but always felt the push to lite weight road bikes is more of a selling gimmick and has little benefit for most of us non-competitive riders. I have two road bikes, maybe 8 lbs difference between the two, and see little difference in total riding effort/speed.
+1
I never saw much difference in a pound or three in efficiency or speed especially since my weight will fluctuate that much from one day to the next. As far as enjoyment I have had as much fun on a $10 garage sale beach bike on the beach as with any other bike I have owned. Now days the hand built Klein hangs from the rafters in the garage while I do my riding on a much heavier recumbent trike. Love that comfortable laid back ride while I can breath easier with no back, neck, shoulder, and wrist pain.
However, no matter what there is not much that can beat riding a bicycle. Well, maybe a motorcycle.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #45

I have the 350 on both my bikes. They are great workhorse hubs. You likely have 18t ratchets which can be upgraded easily to higher numbers of points of engagement. While the sound does change, the real benefit is quicker engagement when climbing. That means less of a "dead spot" when applying pressure to the pedals before they start to engage the power to the rear cassette. 36t works well for me all things considered. But it is possible to go as high as 54t. The hubs are simple to work on and the ratchet replacement is really easy. Even a cleaning and regrease can be done by the average DIYer. Plenty of videos on the internet.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to put more time into it and try the regreasing first.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpush View Post
Yeah I heard grease might help. Went to the bike shop and they said they said the rear hubs just sound like that. They are really backed up with bikes to work on was probably the real issue.

I bought it in 2018. Not sure what generation that is. Do you?

Yeah , you have a Tallboy 3 (C or CC) which came with Race Face Arc 27 or 40 wheels depending on whether you got the 29 or 27.5+ version. In either case they came with DT 350 hubs with 36 tooth star ratchets, just like Ronin described. Re-greasing is an easy job, but if the hubs aren't any louder than when you bought the bike then your LBS is probably right - that's just how they're supposed to sound.

Quote:
I have the 350 on both my bikes. They are great workhorse hubs. You likely have 18t ratchets which can be upgraded easily to higher numbers of points of engagement. While the sound does change, the real benefit is quicker engagement when climbing. That means less of a "dead spot" when applying pressure to the pedals before they start to engage the power to the rear cassette. 36t works well for me all things considered. But it is possible to go as high as 54t. The hubs are simple to work on and the ratchet replacement is really easy. Even a cleaning and regrease can be done by the average DIYer. Plenty of videos on the internet.

I'm pretty sure Santa Cruz supplies 36T star ratchets in their factory builds with DT350s. In any case I've had wheelsets with 18, 36 and 54T and find 36 is plenty for my style of riding. There are some ratcheting moves that benefit from a hub with a high number of points of engagement (POE), but I guess I'm not a good enough rider to take advantage of them. For me the only real advantage of a high POE is when stalled out on a steep hill I can position my pedal for the best restart without having to move the bike around.
stepford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Sweet bike! Here is my all carbon Felt GRX cyclocross, bought slightly used last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF335F07-796E-41E5-AE1D-F006B9577791.jpg (1.05 MB, 13 views)
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #49

Very nice bike!
Old 07-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #50

The C-dale trail bike I just sold had Shimano XT hubs which worked very well until the free hub failed after about 3-4 yrs. Talking with others, sounds not unusual. It was quiet though. I kept the freehub body meaning to take it apart and see what was going on inside, but never did. And now that bike is gone and I won't be going back to XT's for hubs.

But the XT drive train on the new bike rocks. My first 1x12 and I really like it. Crisp shifting and a little cleaner set-up on the bar. Not a weight weenie but I like less mechs to fuss with.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #51

Quote:
But the XT drive train on the new bike rocks. My first 1x12 and I really like it. Crisp shifting and a little cleaner set-up on the bar. Not a weight weenie but I like less mechs to fuss with.

Do you miss the range of a 2x or 3x drivetrain? I'm pretty happy with the 1x12 on my primary MTB, but was forced to choose between low gears for climbing and high gears for speeding along the flats (I chose climbing and have an ultra-grandpa 28T chainring up front). With the 2x10 on my old bike I had a significantly bigger gear range and didn't have to choose between the low end and the high.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #52

I have a 30t chainring and 10-51 cassette. High gear is not quite the same on the flats but close and I live in the hills so there is very little flat area to cross anyways. Hey, I am flexible!
Old 07-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Technically those things that make the noise are pawls and I have never greased any of mine in tens of thousands of miles of riding.
Each brand has its own sound. My Campy sounds different than my single speed White Industries which sounds different than my SRAM. I kinda like sounds.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #54

Dt Swiss technology and why they sound like a cicada in the bushes.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wh...het-technology
Old 07-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really need a new bike day ....

Rode my CX bike on Wednesday down to the river and tore up a brand new tire at the bottom of the hill. Hot walk up the hill and called for a ride home.

On Thursday rode a different bike down to the river on the same route and blew rear tubeless tire off the rim with a loud bang at the exact same spot. Think the issue was the 100+ degree weather, my 226 lb weight, and the riding the rim brakes down the steep hill. Even hotter ... 108 degrees per Garmin ... walk up the hill and called for a ride home ... again.

Today’s ride (workout) down to the river and back on my ancient Stumpjumper mountain bike was uneventful thankfully.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
108 degrees per Garmin ... walk up the hill
Eeek. They'd have been calling the coroner if I tried that. These days I just don't bother riding if it's over 90 (or do it all before 10AM this time of year).
Old 07-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
I really need a new bike day ....

Rode my CX bike on Wednesday down to the river and tore up a brand new tire at the bottom of the hill. Hot walk up the hill and called for a ride home.

On Thursday rode a different bike down to the river on the same route and blew rear tubeless tire off the rim with a loud bang at the exact same spot. Think the issue was the 100+ degree weather, my 226 lb weight, and the riding the rim brakes down the steep hill. Even hotter ... 108 degrees per Garmin ... walk up the hill and called for a ride home ... again.

Today’s ride (workout) down to the river and back on my ancient Stumpjumper mountain bike was uneventful thankfully.

Egads! Let’s see. 226 lbs going downhill above 100 degrees. That will blow tires every time if you have enough air in them at the start. I’ve had to let air out of my car tires in hot weather - got a dashboard warning that the tires exceeded safe psi level.

Maybe check your tire pressure frequently on hot days and let some air out if the psi gets out of line.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:07 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Eeek. They'd have been calling the coroner if I tried that. These days I just don't bother riding if it's over 90 (or do it all before 10AM this time of year).
Over 90? I bike early so it's not over 70. Haha. Can't imagine why anyone who has the choice would choose to ride during the heat of the day this time of year. I prefer 62-70 degrees, low 70's is ok if needed especially if it's before 9am.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Over 90? I bike early so it's not over 70. Haha. Can't imagine why anyone who has the choice would choose to ride during the heat of the day this time of year. I prefer 62-70 degrees, low 70's is ok if needed especially if it's before 9am.
+1
Old 07-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #60

Hmmmm....
I have never blown a tire due to heat even though living in very hot climates with plenty of steep terrain most of my cycling years.
Our current summer training ride has about 6000ft of climbing (elevation gain) over 40 miles - very steep! The descent is twisty with rough pavement so constant braking is needed to control speed. When we stop for a break to rest our hands the rims (rim brakes) are too hot to touch for more than a sec or two. 26 x 1.50 tires @ 60psi to start.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote