New Camera: Canon A1100 IS

FUEGO

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hey photography fans. Just got a new Canon A1100 IS for a steal (it will actually make me money). So far it seems like a nice little point and shoot. It takes 2 AA batteries, SD/SDHC memory cards. 12 Megapixels (wow :rolleyes: ).

Overall we like it. It takes pretty good videos even in low light. Once we figured out the right settings, we were getting good non-grainy photos in low light conditions as well. We are upgrading from the canon a400, which we love. The a400 is literally point and shoot - no messing with settings required and pictures come out perfect every time. We do have to turn the knob to the right setting on the new a1100. But now we are getting nice crisp shots.

Anyone else have an a1100 and like/dislike it? We have 13 days left to return it for a full refund.

The only downside from what I can tell is that the videos take up tons of space. Roughly 6-7 GB per hour I think on the best settings. I may be able to post-process and compress them somewhat without seriously degrading quality.

This is the first new piece of gear for our upcoming Argentina/Uruguay getaway in March. :)

I've got the same model

I have one (I've had it about a year maybe) and love it. It's a great little camera, easy to learn and use and takes good quality pictures for us amateurs. It has some fun features when I want to get fancy and do sunsets or black-n-white with a 1 color being featured or highlighted.

I think you'll really enjoy it.

Charlotte

Thanks, we like it a lot so far. Very similar intuitive interface to our old canon a400. The one trick we learned was to use "portrait" mode to take indoor/low lighting pics especially when there is motion. It forces a quick exposure time (1/60 sec) and a low ISO (usually 80 from what I have seen). This equals no graininess and no blur on motion shots. Great with kids (much better than their kids and pets setting ironically).

This thing has good enough video that we are converting our 4-5 miniDV videotapes to digital files, then selling our camcorder (which will more than pay our camera). So we will be all digital on the hard drive now. No more pesky tapes to keep track of (and never watch).

FYI, if anyone else is interested in the deal, you can get this camera from staples for $130 and it comes with a $50 staples gift card rebate. One may also be able to purchase a $20-25 off coupon for staples from ebay or ejunkie to further sweeten the deal. Mods, feel free to redact if this appears overly spammy/promotional. Just tryin to hook some LBYM's up on a nice camera for low $$.

We have had one for about a year.We took it on our last trip. Pictures at http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/utah-and-durango-silverton-rail-44406.html

Great point and shoot. We were very pleased with the pictures.

Thanks for the link to example pics. I'll forward to DW for review and envying purposes.

When I was a kid our family went to silverton and durango, but I got food poisoning the night before our train ride, so me and mom stayed in the hotel while I made friends with the hotel bathroom floor. My dad and bro still got to ride. My mom secretly thanked me since she is scared of heights and steep cliffs and the like! :)

When I was looking for a new digital camera earlier this year, the Canon Powershot 1100 was at the top of my list. I ultimately decided to go with the Canon Powershot G10 because it gave me more "tweaking" flexibility with the full manual mode.

4006069572_5c05878262.jpg

When I was looking for a new digital camera earlier this year, the Canon Powershot 1100 was at the top of my list. I ultimately decided to go with the Canon Powershot G10 because it gave me more "tweaking" flexibility with the full manual mode.

4006069572_5c05878262.jpg

Easy to use? Looks like it's 3-4 times the price of the 1100. I wouldn't mind the price if it's that much better.:-\

There ya go.:)

You got it. Video camera sits in the corner collecting dust (DW made me buy it :) ). They are going for $100-150 on craiglist/ebay (I paid $130 for it new). My price out the door at staples yesterday was $120, and I'll spend or sell the $50 rebate I get from it, so let's say the camera ends up costing me $70-80. The camcorder is redundant and I'll sell it. :) Another deal unique to my circumstances unfortunately.

Good to hear positive reviews for the a1100. We are waiting for the sun to come out to test it outdoors in bright sunlight to see if it overexposes like a previous "a" series canon we had for a while before returning (a460 maybe??). The a400 is hard to beat though.

Easy to use? Looks like it's 3-4 times the price of the 1100. I wouldn't mind the price if it's that much better.:-\

I think it is easy to use. It's a great hybrid between a point and shoot and a SLR camera. You can use it in full auto mode like a point-and-shoot camera or
you can use it in semi-auto or full manual mode like an older SLR camera. I find myself using it a lot in semi-auto mode and the results have been stunning compared to my old point-and-shoot especially in low light conditions. Two things to keep in mind though: 1) it's not a tiny or light camera, 2) it doesn't have a big optical zoom and 3) it's only worth it if you want to have more control over the settings than a standard point-and-shoot camera would allow.

Back
Top Bottom