New catalytic converter cost??

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Check Engine light in a friend's 2008 Subaru Outback came on earlier this week.

She has been gold by her mechanic that based on the engine code stored in the car's computer her catalytic convertor is failing. She's been quoted a price of $7000 installed by the mechanic.

The car has about 100,000 miles on it.

The price seems outrageous to me. I would appreciated hearing from other people who have had to replace a faulty convertor.

You could get three different engines in an 08 Outback. The most expensive catalytic convertor for any of those engine choices on Rock Auto is about $675, which includes the manifold in that case. Many are much less expensive. Allow a couple of hours to replace it and through in some gaskets and you should still be under $1000, all in, parts and labor. There seems to be no limit or shame anymore when it comes to outrageous car repair quotes. I recently replaced the CC on a Corolla for under $130 and it took less than an hour, not even using a lift. Shop quoted $1323 for that.

Last edited:
My blood pressure went up reading this thread.

Some of these mechanics have no heart. Ooooh, this ticks me off seeing this.

NO way! It seems there were multiple engines available for this vehicle. Some of the options use more than one converter. The most expensive replacement converter at Rock Auto is ~$600 for the part. Lots of Youtube videos for this job
https://youtu.be/-baUrX9XC5c

Back in 2016 I was quoted $1500 for a new cat on my 2004 Forester so I would expect it to be around $2K now. I decided not to fix it drove it for 4 more years with no noticeable problem with how the car drove. if you live in a state with yearly inspections then you have to have it fixed or trade in for a new one. Don't pay anywhere near $7K. Get a second opinion or trade in the vehicle.

Yes, I can unfortunately see $2k.

But $7k is just a grand scam rip off money grubbing heartless grab.

Just googled, "2008 Subaru Outback". Internet response, said car has
"3" converters. Maybe that is why it costs so much?:(

However, for all 3 converters to be bad at same time?

My recommendation. Find recommended independent Mechanic, who can
check each converter to determine if they are really bad, or are the sensors in need of replacement.

Agree, Price quotes seems ridiculous.:mad:

I have a Subaru Legacy, 2010. I thought it was 2 converters.

In any case, recent quotes I've seen on the Subbie forums range from $1.5k to $3k for both. Every time someone says $3k, they get shouted at by others saying they got it done for much less.

$7k is still just off the flippin' charts.

And get the codes and google them. For ~ $15 you can get a Bluetooth device that plugs in the OBD port, and a free phone/tablet app will read the codes for you.

Remember, the codes just explain what the sensor is reading, it doesn't always tell you what the defect is, but a search will give you a good idea.

-ERD50

You could get three different engines in an 08 Outback. The most expensive catalytic convertor for any of those engine choices on Rock Auto is about $675, which includes the manifold in that case. Many are much less expensive. Allow a couple of hours to replace it and through in some gaskets and you should still be under $1000, all in, parts and labor. There seems to be no limit or shame anymore when it comes to outrageous car repair quotes. I recently replaced the CC on a Corolla for under $130 and it took less than an hour, not even using a lift. Shop quoted $1323 for that.

+1

I had one done a few years ago, pre-covid, and it was less than $1K at a shop.
OP's quoted price is crazy to me.

I have a Subaru Legacy, 2010. I thought it was 2 converters.

In any case, recent quotes I've seen on the Subbie forums range from $1.5k to $3k for both. Every time someone says $3k, they get shouted at by others saying they got it done for much less.

$7k is still just off the flippin' charts.

It's the plain vanilla Outback from 2008 with the base level four cylinder 2.5i engine, nothing special. I understand some of the 6 cylinders engines may have a dual exhaust. And there was a turbo version of the 4 cyl also.

Last edited:
Are you sure there wasn't a miscommunication somewhere along the line...this doesn't make sense. Almost no one would put that money in a 15 year old car

I don't much about Subaru's but a quick look at "Autozone" says the retail price for a cat converter can be anywhere from $538 to $1628 depending on "things like" if you have a manual or automatic transmission and if it's needs to be New York/California complaint or not. Any good muffler shop should be able to remove the old one and replace it with a new one for an additional few hundred (at the most).

Oh, by the way, the trade in value for that "entire" vehicle in "excellent" condition on the market today is about ~4k...

Sounds to me the original quote (mechanic) is looking for FIRE. :)

Last edited:
time for a second or third opinion and to remove the bloodsucker from her contact list.

It's the plain vanilla Outback from 2008 with the base level four cylinder 2.5i engine, nothing special. I understand some of the 6 cylinders engines may have a dual exhaust. And there was a turbo version of the 4 cyl also.

IIRC, 3 cats in CA emission models, two in the rest.

Have two aftermarkets cats put in and add 'spacers' to the downstream O2 sensors.

Just for comparison, at the last regular service for my 2011 Camry (4 cyl 2.5L engine) a few moths ago, they said the exhaust system flex pipe was damaged. I was quoted $1,100 to replace the entire exhaust system, including the catalytic converter. For most cars I would expect around that amount, or lower. Of course, for NY or CA, that might be quite different.

Fortunately I have a friend who does body work, he was able to replace just the flex pipe component for much, much less.

For that $7K quote I would run, not walk, elsewhere to get a better and perhaps more honest quote.

The game this scammer is playing is based on the high price of used cars. The ridiculous prices have allowed some gaming on repairs.

This mechanic just went too far and we're calling them out.

I've gotten some FU quotes on building repair work too.

My 2006 Nissan Pathfinder has needed all 4 replaced for over 1 yr. Was quoted $2200 last year, but now that all parts have to come from dealer to lessen thefts, the estimate is now $3800. Vehicle might be worth 4or 5 grand....

They have reduced the estimate to about $4300. It does includes two convertors, two new sensors, and lots of new flanges, brackets and bolts.

They have reduced the estimate to about $4300. It does includes two convertors, two new sensors, and lots of new flanges, brackets and bolts.

That's still more than the total value of the vehicle. Don't do it.

We finally had time to visit a well regarded exhaust system shop in our area.

After their exam the verdict is that only one of the two convertors needs replacing at this time. Also included are the Oxygen sensors and various flanges, brackets, shields, and bolts that secure it to the vehicle. Total cost will be about $1200. This is still less than 1/3 the price of the adjusted $4300 estimate from the original mechanic. And given the value of the car, the work is probably a worthwhile expense for one who does not wish to purchase a another vehicle at this time.

The replacement is scheduled for next week. I hope they live up to their reputation.

Last edited:
Cool. It's also good to know a rip-off quote so you know who not to bother again.

Cool. It's also good to know a rip-off quote so you know who not to bother again.

The mechanic's shop, which my friend has used for many years, is now on the list of persona-non-grata. Thankfully, there are other good mechanics in the area.

The mechanic's shop, which my friend has used for many years, is now on the list of persona-non-grata. Thankfully, there are other good mechanics in the area.

Really a bummer to hear an independent go to the dark side.

Back
Top Bottom