Join Early Retirement Today

New Ceiling Fan
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New Ceiling Fan

I spent the day taking down one ceiling fan and installing another. Now I'm quite happy.

Went from this: Ceiling Fan Heater - Reiker Room Conditioner | Swiss Gold | Swiss Gold

To this: Glendale 52 in. White Ceiling Fan-AG524-WH at The Home Depot

The problem of the first one was the heater. It turned on by itself (common occurance with that fan). I was away from and who knows how long the heater was running 24/7.

Now I got a simple, basic fan that just cools and gives off better lighting.

As for the old, it's garbaged (except I kept the remote to use as portable digital temperture reader )
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did you contact the manufacturer about this problem? From what I read, your old fan has a limited lifetime warranty on everything but the heater parts (only 1 year). Since you mentioned the heater works, it may be an electrical malfunction which should be covered by the warranty.
Another option is possibly disabling the heat function, then you'd have a normal ceiling fan w/o heat.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Right. Why buy/install a new one versus fixing/disabling the heater on the old one?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Some of us are too LBYM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Too late..the old fan is history . I couldn't be happier, it was too much of a pain in the you know what.

From what I read, the customer service for the fan is horrible (for example, one guy said for warranty service, they expect you to take down the fan, and ship it to them...you cannot be serious).

I am happy to cut my losses and just move on. I also didn't like the frosted glass over the light bulbs as this made the lighting dim. With my new fan, the lighting is almost too bright .
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Glad you got a better fan! Sometimes simpler really IS better.

I am getting a lot of usage out of my six ceiling fans this summer. Can't imagine summers without them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Glad you got a better fan! Sometimes simpler really IS better.

I am getting a lot of usage out of my six ceiling fans this summer. Can't imagine summers without them.
Yes, simpler is better in this situation. At the time, having a heater with fan seemed like a great idea. But I really don't even need one.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few years ago, we installed one remote control and/or thermostatically controlled ceiling fans. For us, it was a good investment in that it really saves on the A/C electric bill. We liked it so much that we outfitted the house throughout with the same fans.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #9

We're in the process of upgrading our master bathroom and will be adding a fan which we have already purchased. It's going to replace an overhead can light and we really can't redo the wiring without getting complicated. So when we want the fan to run, the overhead lights have to be on. The fan has a remote so we can turn if off easily. Think I'll buy a few CFL flood lights so when the fan is running at least the flood lights won't be using too much power and creating a lot of heat. Going to look today for other options.

This fan is a 44", three blade that really moves the air due to increased pitch of the blades. Nice looking design that DW picked out so it must be OK. I won't have to listen to "why did you buy that one?"
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Johnnie, I don't get why the lights have to be on. I understand you probably have a single switch controlling both, but isn't there a pull chain for the light so you can shut it off? It's not idea since you can't enter a room and throw the switch, but a pull chain is usually easy to find. In the winter, you can just keep the fan off and control the light by the wall switch.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Johnnie, I don't get why the lights have to be on. I understand you probably have a single switch controlling both, but isn't there a pull chain for the light so you can shut it off? It's not idea since you can't enter a room and throw the switch, but a pull chain is usually easy to find. In the winter, you can just keep the fan off and control the light by the wall switch.
+1

Even better, there are remote control adapters for ceiling fans. Leave the wall switch on and use the remote to control both the fan and lights without the old-fashioned chains.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Even better, there are remote control adapters for ceiling fans. Leave the wall switch on and use the remote to control both the fan and lights without the old-fashioned chains.
+1.
This is what I got. And you can set the temperature you want from the remote. Also change the rotation (CW/CCW) for winter/summer.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Saw one of those universal remotes that go at the wall switch area at. They look interesting.

Unfortunately, my ceiling fan is not operated to the wall switch. So I just use the pull down chains.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm not talking about the light on the fan (which I'll probably not install anyway), it's the lights in the ceiling. I have four can lights mounted in the ceiling. One of those lights is going to be replaced by the fan. The only way I can get power to the fan is to turn on the light switch. The lights come on as well as the fan. I can turn the fan off with the remote. So the only way to have the fan on is to have the lights on as well. Without going to a rewiring overhead, today I bought three 50 watt Halogen flood bulbs ($4 each). Bought them because I had never seen halogen floods and it would keep the heat down. What I really want is three CFL floods, about 13 watts which is equal to 60 incandescent.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I'm not talking about the light on the fan (which I'll probably not install anyway), it's the lights in the ceiling. I have four can lights mounted in the ceiling. One of those lights is going to be replaced by the fan. The only way I can get power to the fan is to turn on the light switch. The lights come on as well as the fan. I can turn the fan off with the remote. So the only way to have the fan on is to have the lights on as well. Without going to a rewiring overhead, today I bought three 50 watt Halogen flood bulbs ($4 each). Bought them because I had never seen halogen floods and it would keep the heat down. What I really want is three CFL floods, about 13 watts which is equal to 60 incandescent.
Johnie36,
- You may not be too happy with the halogens. They produce a lot of heat--just about as much as a regular incandescent bulb. The light is also fairly harsh, might be a bit much during a late-night visit. But, different folks like different things.
- You probably know this, but the ceiling box that feeds that can light is likely not strong enough to safely support a ceiling fan. Get yourself a real fan box and be sure it is braced properly. The weight and vibrations from a fan, even a good one, can lead to the failure and falling of a fan attached to a standard ceiling box designed for a light.
- I'm not a "fan" of ceiling fans, and I can't imagine wanting one in a bathroom. But that's what makes the world go 'round. And, hey, all the bathrooms in any home I've lived in are too small to accomodate one, so you must be doing okay! I have thought I'd like a small, classy looking fan mounted way up in the corner and equipped with a 10 minute timer to dry the tub out expeditiously in concert with the exhaust fan.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

If the regular electrical box isn't strong enough, one that is would be something like this: Saf-T-Brace Support Fan Brace-0110000 at The Home Depot

They work really well.

For my ceiling fan, the fan is installed in the middle of the living room where there is no electrical box. When I had the old fan installed, I hired someone who did the installing and wiring. Had to tap into an existing outlet and run electrical wire to the center of the ceiling. My ceiling is out of cement. He had to use toggle bolts to securely attach the fan since there was no electrical box. Nice to have bright light and a good breeze circulating where there was none before.