Join Early Retirement Today

New Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Old 12-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New Chamber Vacuum Sealer

About that time again. Last night I ordered a new chamber vacuum sealer.

The chamber vacuum sealer I was using keeps a good seal most of the time but not always.

Well, on Christmas evening, I was making a steak sous vide, but about two hours into the cooking, the bag seal came loose so the steak juice started to go into the water . Meal wasn't totally ruined but still not good.

The meal I was most looking forward to all year kinda failed so that chamber sealer is now in the doghouse.

I got a smaller chamber sealer. Avid Armor model USV20 to be exact. We are talking about 18 lbs vs 60 lbs compared to the sealer in doghouse.

Will take 7-10 business days (I bought an open box direct from manufacturer, $50 off, 1 year warranty).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice! I have always wanted one. I continue to make due with my Foodsaver, but a chamber would be nice.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Nice! I have always wanted one. I continue to make due with my Foodsaver, but a chamber would be nice.
Once I went chamber, I don't want to go back to external like Foodsaver. Of course, that is if the chamber can hold seal.

I've been keeping an eye as to what's out there. In the past, chamber sealers were mainly for commercial and not residential. Big and heavy. The 60lb one I have in the doghouse was considered small at the time.

But recently, there's been smaller, chamber sealers with the residential market in mind.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

I'm very interested. My last chamber sealer lasted about a year before dying, and I was really disgusted. Maybe time to try again. That one seems to have good reviews.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm very interested. My last chamber sealer lasted about a year before dying, and I was really disgusted. Maybe time to try again. That one seems to have good reviews.
There's also a bigger, yet home user targeted model by the same company. I actually was very much considering this one when the tiny one got introduced. The tiny also hook up an external Foodsaver type hose for mason jar attachments. I believe they have use the same pump as for parts.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting. This has been on my list for a while as well, but the food saver has been good enough so far. Is there a huge advantage vs the food saver? I’d love to get away from the expensive bags.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Interesting. This has been on my list for a while as well, but the food saver has been good enough so far. Is there a huge advantage vs the food saver? I’d love to get away from the expensive bags.
More upfront cost of chamber type machine vs external sealers like a Foodsaver.

Two big advantages are cheaper bags and chamber sealers can seal liquid. Thus if you seal something like left over soup or gravy, you don't have to freeze first into a brick shape. You do need to let cool to room temperature, but none of the liquid getting sucked it the pump thing with an external sealer.

Just got an email. My chamber sealer should arrive in about a couple of days .

In the meantime, here is a very good comparison by someone on youtube about the tiny sealer and the larger one:

My New Baby!
Old 12-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My New Baby!

Got my vacuum sealer in the mail today.

Haven't used to actually seal any food yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USV-20-2.JPG (487.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg USV-20-1.JPG (446.9 KB, 1 views)