Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Nobody goes there anymore, it is too crowded.
I see what you did there..
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I found the following Costco codes online once, and this info may still be available and current. (I carry this info in my wallet.) It's the last two numbers at the end of each Costco item number:
  • 97= clear outs & markdowns
  • 97*= last chance good deals
  • 00 (and 88?)= close outs
  • 49, 79, 89= sales
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Alcohol because you do not need a membership to buy it in CA and many other states.
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #64

Anything that they have that I need. Gas, tires, hearing aids, chickens, blueberries/raspberries, cheese, produce -fresh and frozen, beef, flowers, nursery items. If they have it I would preferentially buy it from Costco - quality, price, return policy.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
........... return policy.
Yea, that is a big one. I feel like everything I buy there has more or less an infinite warranty, though I don't abuse it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #66

Quote:
Yea, that is a big one. I feel like everything I buy there has more or less an infinite warranty, though I don't abuse it.
Yes, the return policy is gold. I found that out when I purchased an office chair for use at home. after a few months, the wheel structure broke on a wheel. Then a few months later on another one, and then on each wheel, one at at time. I contacted the manufacturer directly and they sent a new set of wheels. And the same thing happened. So that was it for me. I took it back to Costco just over two years after I purchased it. And no questions asked. I got a refund and went an purchased a new chair which I still have several years later.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #67

Head brand gloves. I have them in four thicknesses - and I have spares for two of those!
Old 11-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

"Little Hotties" for feet and hands for those of us in cold climates. Last year I handed them out to DS's employees.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

The return policy is amazing. Though no longer infinite on electronics.

I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro at Costco last May. It stopped charging this October. I bought a new charger from Microsoft, it worked for about20 minutes then turned into a brick. I contacted the manufacturer who said it was out of warranty. I contacted Costco's concierge service, which is good for two years on laptops and TV's (you can purchase a longer warranty, I believe). Their phone help was much more efficient than Microsoft - not a bunch of transfers, etc. When that didn't work, I mailed the laptop to them. After verifying that it was well and truly not charging (and killing every charger plugged into it) they sent me a new one. And it works.

Big Costco fan.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hearing aids
Hearing aids at Costco is the best deal on Earth!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Cruises (sometimes) , You have to compare but sometimes their price on a cruise after accounting for cash card mailed back to you and OBC's make them cheaper.
That's not counting the 2% rebate as an executive member.

Note: I will not use their Citi credit card for travel anymore (it did earn 3% on travel and still does) but it has no cancellation insurance as they removed it.

Everyone has already mentioned many of the other things I buy there.
I find Costco Travel to have the best rental car prices I can find. Sometimes they are ridiculous like $150 in Seattle for a week in March for an SUV. Crazy!
Old 11-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We have a fairly new Costco that opened about 5-6 miles away from us several years ago in a slightly "iffy" part of town. That doesn't sound far but given the traffic patterns, it is far enough away that it seems like quite an afternoon's jaunt just to get there and back.

I don't shop there. We went there once, to look around. It was frightfully crowded. The HUGE parking lot was nearly full. It may (or may not?) be cheap, but I didn't see any huge bargains on anything I wanted. Overall we thought it was a tremendous hassle so we haven't been back.

When I shop for groceries locally (which I can do, finally, now that I have had my knee replaced), I go to a regular supermarket about a quarter mile from us that has everything I need.

When I get gas, I stop at a gas station just down the street.

Blow That Dough. I guess I am trading the possible price difference for convenience and more serene surroundings.
That’s the nice thing about Costco, some of the best deals don’t even require you enter the store...rental cars, travel, gas. In CA, some of the food courts are outdoors. #cheap wieners.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #73

Invest in a Foodsaver vacuum sealer (from Costco, of course) so you can put the extra steaks, chicken, stuffed peppers, etc. in the freezer in secure packaging. You will pay for it in no time.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Nobody goes there anymore, it is too crowded.
Being retired helps a lot. There are days of the week and times that are better than others. For example, Tuesday’s around 1:00. However, me and DW like going there about 45 minutes before they close. Every now and then, it’s a bit crowded when we work in, but even if it is, it’s in clearing out mode and it’s never a long wait to check out by the time we’re done shopping. Plus, at that time, there is no one giving out free samples which helps keep everyone moving.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Invest in a Foodsaver vacuum sealer (from Costco, of course) so you can put the extra steaks, chicken, stuffed peppers, etc. in the freezer in secure packaging. You will pay for it in no time.
This!

We immediately freeze half the meat/seafood/poultry we buy.

I am careful to use the produce up. It’s usually in very good shape, so we do use it all in time - over multiple meals.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #76

Quote:
I agree with all of the prior postings about great stuff to buy there, but their warranty policy paid off for me last year.

I bought a rather high end desktop gaming PC from Costco online. I turns out that their supplier, I believe it was CyberPower PC, was playing games to meet the pricing. The PC offered a K-series Intel CPU. The K means it is overclockable. But to meet the price point they went with a low-end motherboard that did not support overclocking. So in the end, they were charging the overclocking premium without providing overclocking capability. CyberPowerPC clearly knows better if you look at their website.

I returned the PC locally. They asked for the reason for the return, it wasn't actually defective and clearly they didn't really understand the issue, but took back a $1600 PC without any real hassle.

I then proceeded to build my own PC once again.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
Alcohol because you do not need a membership to buy it in CA and many other states.

You do need a membership to get in the door though.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:22 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

The nice thing about trying a Costco membership is that if you buy one and decide after a while you aren’t going to use it, they will refund you!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:24 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
You do need a membership to get in the door though.
No you don’t. You explain to the door person what you are there to buy.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #80

Some locations that allow non-members to shop for liquor have a separate section/entrance for that purpose.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote