Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Steaks (my favorite purchase from costco) , beef roasts, pork roasts, chicken breasts.
Rotisserie chicken.
Toilet paper.
Coffee
Olive oil
Occasion clothing. Jackets, sweat shirts, socks.
Tires and batteries
Car rental (decent pricing, and I feel like they are less likely to mess with me. I've had trouble with low cost car rentals. )
Ham
Strawberry spread (low suger jam)
Croissants, sliced cheeses and meats for large gatherings.
Shrimp cocktail platters
Spices
Vodka and Canadian whiskey (Kirkland)
Wine
Gas
Frozen fresh caught Alaskan cod.
Bread.

I didn't like their frozen pizzas, breakfast burritos, or their organic salsa.

I plan on trying their bulk hamburger soon, and my next laptop and TV will be purchased there, because of their pricing and warranty.

And of course a slice of pizza if I'm hungry.

Take care, JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great lists!

I didn't see prescription glasses mentioned. They have very good prices for frames as well as lenses.

Photo prints & products are a great deal too though they recently removed photo-centers from a number of Costco warehouses.

Tires have already been mentioned - but part of the deal is free air-fill-ups with nitrogen & free tire rotation for the life of the tires. They also have regular special deals on tires, so wait for them if possible.

Tasting samples!!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood
Great lists!

Tasting samples!!

Grazing through Costco. What fun!

I remember picking up my two kids from elementary school and doing a quick trip to Costco. By the time I got home I only had to make dinner for their mom and I.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DW and I went to Costco this AM to become members. If Wednesday mornings are significantly less busy than weekends then I'm in for a real treat when I go back on Sunday afternoon to get my hearing tested.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
DW and I went to Costco this AM to become members. If Wednesday mornings are significantly less busy than weekends then I'm in for a real treat when I go back on Sunday afternoon to get my hearing tested.
You have to get to know your local store. I find that Tuesday through Thursday afternoons from about 1:00 to about 4:00 are the quietest times at my closest Costco. I hypothesize that's when Moms with the small children who fill up the store in the mornings are at home for nap time. First thing when they open on Sunday morning is also not too bad. A friend of mine swears that mornings are better than afternoons at her Costco, so try switching up the times you go and see what's best. You might have to wait until January to get a true picture though, from now until Christmas it's always busy.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #126

My standard practice is to get there just before they open at 10 am on a weekday. Nearly all the time they let people in about ten minutes before, although the cash registers don't open until exactly 10.

I find I can get most of my shopping done in those ten minutes, maybe 15 at most. Then I'm one of the first to the checkout and out of there well before 10:10. Works well for me, I've been doing it this way for years.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't have a link right now, but I've heard of this as well. I believe it has to do with the brain processing that has been discussed. The longer you go not hearing these sounds, apparently the more the brain 'forgets' how to process them.

It's not a physical damage thing, it just an un-learning, as I understand it.

I also had to "argue" a bit with my MIL and FIL - his hearing aids would feedback, and I kept telling them that's not good. That loud sound in his ear (you could hear across a not-so-quiet room) could be doing further damage. They figured f he couldn't hear it, it can't be hurting him, but I think it is still physical damage. Just like if you had no feeling in your hand, it is still damaged by scalding water,

Plus, I'm sure that level of squeal was saturating the output (electrically) and distorting or completely masking any other input, and he would not be aware of it. Bottom line, a hearing aid that is often feeding back is not working properly. I think they finally found out his was plugged up (common), so it kept going super-loud to compensate.

-ERD50
I have heard that the younger you get hearing aids, the more easily your brain adjusts to converting the electronic signals to be understandable to the brain. This is also for those cochlear implants, as they use electronic signals also. I've had hearing professionals tell me that and I've read it. This also applies to if you have hearing aids, use them to keep your brain working with them properly, from what I've heard.

I also have read in multiple places that hearing loss causes cognitive difficulties, so getting hearing aids when needed helps keep your brain and interactivities with other people in proper order.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Costco also has some clothing bargains. Occasionally, they have a waterproof windbreaker jacket for $20. Not the quality of say, a Marmot, but at 1/5 the price it rocks. I'm also happy with their jeans, socks and underwear.
Since I've retired, 90% of my clothes purchases are from costco.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
.............Tires have already been mentioned - but part of the deal is free air-fill-ups with nitrogen & free tire rotation for the life of the tires. ..........
This is true, but actually getting in and out can take a long time. They do make appointments, but I've not found that to be much more convenient than dropping in and waiting.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #130

Sometimes when I go on a weekday I think, 'What no one works anymore?'. Best time at our local stores is the hour before closing.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #131
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
You might have to wait until January to get a true picture though, from now until Christmas it's always busy.
+1

I'm not planning on spending much time there until after the holidays other than to visit the hearing center.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in retiree-land , the best time to go is after dark. It's like everyone just disappears. My guess is that retirees don't like driving after dark and families are having dinner, doing homework etc. The rest of the day, at least during Season, is total craziness.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Huge bottles of kirkland mouthwash. Best deal especially after having their hot dogs.

Almond milk
puppy pads
Old 11-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #134
Confused about dryer sheets

Be careful! The thing about Costco is that you go in there for a few things and come out with a cart load of stuff! You can see current bargains on their website too. https://www.costco.com/
wlstreble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
not a big fan of costco...don't appreciate the strip search on the way out. fry's does the same thing so i don't often shop there either. but i rarely go to or enter the store. that's my wife's enjoyment. i'll buy gas if i'm nearby and if i can't get it any cheaper...which i frequently can. in fact most of the time when i compare prices i can find the same or better deals elsewhere. about the only thing i really like from costco are their muffins. don't recall the brand but they are scrumptious.
"Strip search"? You mean where they take your receipt and do a cursory 5 second glance at your cart? Such silliness to say that's a deterrent!
reneeh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #136

Wish we had one here (we have Sam's) and where we are moving but the closest one is far away and the Sam's Club is an hour away. So I will miss Sam's when we move.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #137

Some people just get it into their heads that the only thing you can buy at Costco is 5 gallon jugs of mayonnaise and 25 pound sacks of rice. The reality is most of the products they sell are now individual sized or just enough for 2-4 people. But the perception lingers for people who choose not to actually look at what Costco sells and just reject the idea of shopping there based on something they heard or saw in the store many years ago.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

TP, Paper towels, Fresh Shrimp , Chicken
Old 11-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #139
Dryer sheet wannabe

EVERYTHING!
It is my favorite store to shop!

Bread
Bananas
Vacuums
Batteries
A laptop for my daughter in collge
Pomegranate juice
chips
Eggs
Milk
etc etc etc
SlowlySaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
You have to get to know your local store. I find that Tuesday through Thursday afternoons from about 1:00 to about 4:00 are the quietest times at my closest Costco.
In your google search bar type in "Costco near me"
then pick your store.

Google will show a nice little bar chart with how busy the store is by day of the week. Also a "live" traffic bar. Very useful for planning trips.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote