Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Some people just get it into their heads that the only thing you can buy at Costco is 5 gallon jugs of mayonnaise and 25 pound sacks of rice. The reality is most of the products they sell are now individual sized or just enough for 2-4 people. But the perception lingers for people who choose not to actually look at what Costco sells and just reject the idea of shopping there based on something they heard or saw in the store many years ago.
That's OK, it is too crowded anyway.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

5lb bag frozen blueberries but not all Costco’s have it.
There are often great deals on clothing,shoes,sandals.
Great deals on Christmas gift baskets,candies,nuts,etc.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
In your google search bar type in "Costco near me"
then pick your store.

Google will show a nice little bar chart with how busy the store is by day of the week. Also a "live" traffic bar. Very useful for planning trips.
You know, I've seen those little bar charts many times, but I've never thought to actually put them to use. They confirm my observation about the best times to shop on weekdays, but they say Saturday morning is actually less busy than Sunday morning which is a surprise. Also, as someone else mentioned, the hour before closing is apparently the least busy time every day, though I have no desire to start a trip to Costco at 8:00 PM.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #144

Someone mentioned the imitation French chocolate truffles from Canada. Haven't opened them yet, but at $7.99 for 4.4 pounds, I had to buy them. Bonus deal: The sale that ended yesterday had Sanders Chocolates chocolate covered sea salt caramels for $3.00 off. I picked up a 36 ounce tub of the dark chocolate pieces for $5.99 after reading the ingredients label. I did open those. Verdict: Better than See's candy by far. So good, I stopped at another Costco on my way home and bought two more tubs of the milk chocolate. I would have bought more dark chocolate, but they were out. Check the prices on Sanders Chocolates website...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Someone mentioned the imitation French chocolate truffles from Canada. Haven't opened them yet, but at $7.99 for 4.4 pounds, I had to buy them. Bonus deal: The sale that ended yesterday had Sanders Chocolates chocolate covered sea salt caramels for $3.00 off. I picked up a 36 ounce tub of the dark chocolate pieces for $5.99 after reading the ingredients label. I did open those. Verdict: Better than See's candy by far. So good, I stopped at another Costco on my way home and bought two more tubs of the milk chocolate. I would have bought more dark chocolate, but they were out. Check the prices on Sanders Chocolates website...
Those Sanders Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel squares are so good. We only have them seasonally and I learned my lesson in the past. When they went on sale I bought maybe 8 of them and hid them so no one would get sick. Still working my way through them. Not a fan of the sea salt but i just rub it off. Great stuff!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #146

One of the local Costco stores opens at 9 AM. Show up a few minutes after 9 and there are no lines. If you want a rotisserie chicken, 10:30 is better. Still not really crowded.

I was in two Costco's in the Phoenix area earlier this week. The stores were packed in both Gilbert and Scottsdale. Both parking lots were completely full. The same was true of Palm Desert on Monday at 11:30 AM. The dollars that go through those stores must be huge.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #147
Confused about dryer sheets

Prime beef
Almonds
Pecans
Olive oil
Avocado oil
Altufo mangos
Parmagino reggiano (Sp?)
Bob’s red mill quick cooking steel cut oats ( just bought 28 lbs)
Kirkland Organic chicken broth
Kirkland Batteries
Rasmali
Maple syrup
Organic 2% milk
Tires
Gas
giacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Those Sanders Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel squares are so good. We only have them seasonally and I learned my lesson in the past. When they went on sale I bought maybe 8 of them and hid them so no one would get sick. Still working my way through them. Not a fan of the sea salt but i just rub it off. Great stuff!
I rinsed the salt off with cold running water. Helps maintain the low sodium diet...

Next year if they have them I will probably buy more than 8...
Old 11-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Paper products is how they got started.

I enjoy shopping there and Sams Club. Rotisserie chicken is better at Sams.

Bananas
Books
Cell phones
Computers
Coffee
Clothes
Cruises - Super deal on Alaska Land & Sea Cruise
Gas
Hearing Aids
Salads
Soups
Steaks
Yogurt at food court
etc.
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I was in two Costco's in the Phoenix area earlier this week. The stores were packed in both Gilbert and Scottsdale. Both parking lots were completely full. The same was true of Palm Desert on Monday at 11:30 AM. The dollars that go through those stores must be huge.

I've been to those and they are always packed, can add the Glendale location to the list. The Tucson Costco stores are just as bad if not worse, almost always long lines at the gas stations, parking lot packed all hours of the day. The best time to go is probably the last hour before closing time during the week.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

One item I left off my previous list was jars of organic Better Than Boullion chicken base. It is handy for making soups and much cheaper than buying cartons of stock.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
One item I left off my previous list was jars of organic Better Than Boullion chicken base. It is handy for making soups and much cheaper than buying cartons of stock.
+1 And the price is unbeatable.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #153
Full time employment: Posting here.

Double your warranty on electronics purchases. Capers 1/10 of walmart price.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomo View Post
Prime beef
Almonds
Pecans
Olive oil
Avocado oil
Altufo mangos
Parmagino reggiano (Sp?)
Bob’s red mill quick cooking steel cut oats ( just bought 28 lbs)
Kirkland Organic chicken broth
Kirkland Batteries
Rasmali
Maple syrup
Organic 2% milk
Tires
Gas
Curious what part of the country you’re in. The steel cut oats were a staple for us, but we haven’t seen them for at least 6mo.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:48 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Some people just get it into their heads that the only thing you can buy at Costco is 5 gallon jugs of mayonnaise and 25 pound sacks of rice. The reality is most of the products they sell are now individual sized or just enough for 2-4 people. But the perception lingers for people who choose not to actually look at what Costco sells and just reject the idea of shopping there based on something they heard or saw in the store many years ago.
There are just two of us. We don’t have trouble with the quantities which are twice what we need immediately. We easily use it up in 2 weeks and plan/organize accordingly.

Well, OK, the TP and paper towel packs last us for months. Easily stored.......
Old 11-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #156

One oddball item: Famous Dave's Signature Spicy Pickle Chips. I currently have 3 half-gallon jars. And I am one person, but let me explain ... one of my lunchtime staples is what my mother used to call "sandwich spread" which is simply any kind of meat made into a "salad" - really a spread - for sandwiches. I make my own tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, leftover beef/pork salad. Never have enough shrimp or salmon left to make same, but I would. Famous Dave's pickles are almost a requirement for my versions. I haven't found another pickle [including farmer's market small batch varieties) with the same sweet and spicy profile that accents these so perfectly. But, like a number of their items, Costco only buys them once a year, around Memorial Day, and then they last until they run out. I've learned that I need 3 jars to get me through until the next year. But they are good for several years. Right now I'm making up a lunch to take on a birding trip today, and I realized how much comes from Costco - the tuna (lots of cans, but they last a year too), the mayo (goes on sale every 3 months), the pickles. The celery and red onion can come from anywhere, and any extra additions - currently spinach - comes from my garden.

I also make bean salad with the pickles, but that doesn't spread so easily!
Costco
Old 11-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #157
gone traveling

Costco

Michelin Tires: saved $110 plus they fill the tires with nitrogen. Free rotation every 5000 miles plus excellent warranty.

Car battery: good deal on a battery for a BMW.

Kellogg’s Raisin Bran: much cheaper than grocery stores and lasts a long time.

Welches fruit snacks, paper goods on occasion.

The best is the fresh baked loaves of bread
Elliotgb183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotgb183 View Post

The best is the fresh baked loaves of bread
Seriously?
I've never seen that in Costco.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I forgot, DH likes to get a jar of pickled eggs. Good price. All I can say is...yuck, but DH likes them. And pumpkin pie, it's huge (almost as big as a medium-size pizza) and it's only around $6CAD.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
And according to one test I read, actually makes better broth than the canned/boxed stuff.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote