New Costco store just opened nearby, what items do u like to buy at Costco.

My standard practice is to get there just before they open at 10 am on a weekday. Nearly all the time they let people in about ten minutes before, although the cash registers don't open until exactly 10.

I find I can get most of my shopping done in those ten minutes, maybe 15 at most. Then I'm one of the first to the checkout and out of there well before 10:10. Works well for me, I've been doing it this way for years.

I don't have a link right now, but I've heard of this as well. I believe it has to do with the brain processing that has been discussed. The longer you go not hearing these sounds, apparently the more the brain 'forgets' how to process them.

It's not a physical damage thing, it just an un-learning, as I understand it.

I also had to "argue" a bit with my MIL and FIL - his hearing aids would feedback, and I kept telling them that's not good. That loud sound in his ear (you could hear across a not-so-quiet room) could be doing further damage. They figured f he couldn't hear it, it can't be hurting him, but I think it is still physical damage. Just like if you had no feeling in your hand, it is still damaged by scalding water,

Plus, I'm sure that level of squeal was saturating the output (electrically) and distorting or completely masking any other input, and he would not be aware of it. Bottom line, a hearing aid that is often feeding back is not working properly. I think they finally found out his was plugged up (common), so it kept going super-loud to compensate.

-ERD50

I have heard that the younger you get hearing aids, the more easily your brain adjusts to converting the electronic signals to be understandable to the brain. This is also for those cochlear implants, as they use electronic signals also. I've had hearing professionals tell me that and I've read it. This also applies to if you have hearing aids, use them to keep your brain working with them properly, from what I've heard.

I also have read in multiple places that hearing loss causes cognitive difficulties, so getting hearing aids when needed helps keep your brain and interactivities with other people in proper order.

Costco also has some clothing bargains. Occasionally, they have a waterproof windbreaker jacket for $20. Not the quality of say, a Marmot, but at 1/5 the price it rocks. I'm also happy with their jeans, socks and underwear.

Since I've retired, 90% of my clothes purchases are from costco.

.............Tires have already been mentioned - but part of the deal is free air-fill-ups with nitrogen & free tire rotation for the life of the tires. ..........
This is true, but actually getting in and out can take a long time. They do make appointments, but I've not found that to be much more convenient than dropping in and waiting.

Sometimes when I go on a weekday I think, 'What no one works anymore?'. Best time at our local stores is the hour before closing.

Here in retiree-land , the best time to go is after dark. It's like everyone just disappears. My guess is that retirees don't like driving after dark and families are having dinner, doing homework etc. The rest of the day, at least during Season, is total craziness.

Last edited:
Be careful! The thing about Costco is that you go in there for a few things and come out with a cart load of stuff! You can see current bargains on their website too. https://www.costco.com/

not a big fan of costco...don't appreciate the strip search on the way out. fry's does the same thing so i don't often shop there either. but i rarely go to or enter the store. that's my wife's enjoyment. i'll buy gas if i'm nearby and if i can't get it any cheaper...which i frequently can. in fact most of the time when i compare prices i can find the same or better deals elsewhere. about the only thing i really like from costco are their muffins. don't recall the brand but they are scrumptious.

"Strip search"? You mean where they take your receipt and do a cursory 5 second glance at your cart? Such silliness to say that's a deterrent!

Wish we had one here (we have Sam's) and where we are moving but the closest one is far away and the Sam's Club is an hour away. So I will miss Sam's when we move.

Some people just get it into their heads that the only thing you can buy at Costco is 5 gallon jugs of mayonnaise and 25 pound sacks of rice. The reality is most of the products they sell are now individual sized or just enough for 2-4 people. But the perception lingers for people who choose not to actually look at what Costco sells and just reject the idea of shopping there based on something they heard or saw in the store many years ago.

EVERYTHING! :LOL:
It is my favorite store to shop!

Bread
Bananas
Vacuums
Batteries
A laptop for my daughter in collge
Pomegranate juice
chips
Eggs
Milk
etc etc etc

You have to get to know your local store. I find that Tuesday through Thursday afternoons from about 1:00 to about 4:00 are the quietest times at my closest Costco.

In your google search bar type in "Costco near me"
then pick your store.

Google will show a nice little bar chart with how busy the store is by day of the week. Also a "live" traffic bar. Very useful for planning trips.

Some people just get it into their heads that the only thing you can buy at Costco is 5 gallon jugs of mayonnaise and 25 pound sacks of rice. The reality is most of the products they sell are now individual sized or just enough for 2-4 people. But the perception lingers for people who choose not to actually look at what Costco sells and just reject the idea of shopping there based on something they heard or saw in the store many years ago.
That's OK, it is too crowded anyway.

5lb bag frozen blueberries but not all Costco’s have it.
There are often great deals on clothing,shoes,sandals.
Great deals on Christmas gift baskets,candies,nuts,etc.

In your google search bar type in "Costco near me"
then pick your store.

Google will show a nice little bar chart with how busy the store is by day of the week. Also a "live" traffic bar. Very useful for planning trips.

You know, I've seen those little bar charts many times, but I've never thought to actually put them to use. They confirm my observation about the best times to shop on weekdays, but they say Saturday morning is actually less busy than Sunday morning which is a surprise. Also, as someone else mentioned, the hour before closing is apparently the least busy time every day, though I have no desire to start a trip to Costco at 8:00 PM.

Someone mentioned the imitation French chocolate truffles from Canada. Haven't opened them yet, but at $7.99 for 4.4 pounds, I had to buy them. Bonus deal: The sale that ended yesterday had Sanders Chocolates chocolate covered sea salt caramels for $3.00 off. I picked up a 36 ounce tub of the dark chocolate pieces for $5.99 after reading the ingredients label. I did open those. Verdict: Better than See's candy by far. So good, I stopped at another Costco on my way home and bought two more tubs of the milk chocolate. I would have bought more dark chocolate, but they were out. Check the prices on Sanders Chocolates website...

Someone mentioned the imitation French chocolate truffles from Canada. Haven't opened them yet, but at $7.99 for 4.4 pounds, I had to buy them. Bonus deal: The sale that ended yesterday had Sanders Chocolates chocolate covered sea salt caramels for $3.00 off. I picked up a 36 ounce tub of the dark chocolate pieces for $5.99 after reading the ingredients label. I did open those. Verdict: Better than See's candy by far. So good, I stopped at another Costco on my way home and bought two more tubs of the milk chocolate. I would have bought more dark chocolate, but they were out. Check the prices on Sanders Chocolates website...
Those Sanders Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel squares are so good. We only have them seasonally and I learned my lesson in the past. When they went on sale I bought maybe 8 of them and hid them so no one would get sick. Still working my way through them. Not a fan of the sea salt but i just rub it off. Great stuff!

One of the local Costco stores opens at 9 AM. Show up a few minutes after 9 and there are no lines. If you want a rotisserie chicken, 10:30 is better. Still not really crowded.

I was in two Costco's in the Phoenix area earlier this week. The stores were packed in both Gilbert and Scottsdale. Both parking lots were completely full. The same was true of Palm Desert on Monday at 11:30 AM. The dollars that go through those stores must be huge.

Prime beef
Almonds
Pecans
Olive oil
Avocado oil
Altufo mangos
Parmagino reggiano (Sp?)
Bob’s red mill quick cooking steel cut oats ( just bought 28 lbs)
Kirkland Organic chicken broth
Kirkland Batteries
Rasmali
Maple syrup
Organic 2% milk
Tires
Gas

Last edited:
Those Sanders Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel squares are so good. We only have them seasonally and I learned my lesson in the past. When they went on sale I bought maybe 8 of them and hid them so no one would get sick. Still working my way through them. Not a fan of the sea salt but i just rub it off. Great stuff!

I rinsed the salt off with cold running water. Helps maintain the low sodium diet...

Next year if they have them I will probably buy more than 8...

Paper products is how they got started.

I enjoy shopping there and Sams Club. Rotisserie chicken is better at Sams.

Bananas
Books
Cell phones
Computers
Coffee
Clothes
Cruises - Super deal on Alaska Land & Sea Cruise
Gas
Hearing Aids
Salads
Soups
Steaks
Yogurt at food court
etc.

I was in two Costco's in the Phoenix area earlier this week. The stores were packed in both Gilbert and Scottsdale. Both parking lots were completely full. The same was true of Palm Desert on Monday at 11:30 AM. The dollars that go through those stores must be huge.

I've been to those and they are always packed, can add the Glendale location to the list. The Tucson Costco stores are just as bad if not worse, almost always long lines at the gas stations, parking lot packed all hours of the day. The best time to go is probably the last hour before closing time during the week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom