Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

New cyclist: my butt hurts
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New cyclist: my butt hurts

We moved a house that backs up to something like 100 miles of trails. I bought a bike last weekend and am having fun, but i find that, um, seat pain can be an issue. Am I doing something wrong? Will I just develop calluses in a while?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Make sure your seat height and position is right, may be a factor. Any bike shop can help, but you can get guidance online.

There are seats with gel built into them that make it a little more comfortable, but in my experience it just takes a little time to get used to any bike seat, a few weeks at worst...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Seat height, and seat angle, are factors. Make sure you're sitting on your tailbone, and not more "sensitive" areas...

Maybe some padded bike shorts, or a gel seat, but I find the extra padding, while helpful, may also lead to reduced blood flow to the aforementioned areas. Dropping the nose on my seat helped me.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We moved a house that backs up to something like 100 miles of trails. I bought a bike last weekend and am having fun, but i find that, um, seat pain can be an issue. Am I doing something wrong? Will I just develop calluses in a while?
We don't have enough information to do an analysis. Is the seat too high? Angle wrong? Do you have the right type of tires for mountain biking? Is the tire pressure correct? Is your behind as soft as a baby's bottom?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Spandex Brewer, spandex - high quality shorts with good pads make a huge difference. And you don't want a cushy seat unless you are just going for short rides. Also, ask someone who knows bikes to help you make sure your seat height and setback are correct.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

When I started cycling again, after not having done that for some years, I had the same issue. It went away after one or two weeks. So I wouldn't panic.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A Comfortable Saddle
Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A Great Saddle

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't know anything about it firsthand, but there was an article recently in the NY Times about noseless saddles (bike seats) that are supposedly better for you.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Not entirely related, but I'm seeing it all over the web this week...

Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Not entirely related, but I'm seeing it all over the web this week...

+1000

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. It is possible I am just not seasoned enough. The seat height is right, so I will tinker a bit with position and handlebar height Plus I will see if it goes away with more conditioning.

- George Orwell

Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

On the other hand, Tigger, speaking of happy bike seats (and lots more skin): Yahoo! Image Detail for - http://scienceblogs.com/neurotopia/lance-armstrong-bike.jpg
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Thanks. It is possible I am just not seasoned enough. The seat height is right, so I will tinker a bit with position and handlebar height Plus I will see if it goes away with more conditioning.
You don't mention if your wearing padded shorts? I wouldn't ride a bike without them...all the difference in the world! If you don't think you should be seen in spandex, as I most certainly should not, you can wear polyester basketball shorts over the bike shorts. That's what I do. It's comfortable on the backside and not too warm.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
When I started cycling again, after not having done that for some years, I had the same issue. It went away after one or two weeks. So I wouldn't panic.
+1

Before you go spend a bunch of money on a new hobby you might not keep up and on stuff that may be unnecessary (padded seat, special shorts, etc) try getting used to it. Your body will adjust.

Has happened to me recently, and again after I took a break for a few weeks, then biked again, but adjustment was a day the second time, not a week. Like when you haven't worked out in awhile.

I'd imagine your legs were sore too, that'll (mostly) go away too.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

And in case you didn't know, one does NOT wear underwear with padded shorts.

After my 2-month layoff after my bike crash, it took me six rides and 150 miles before the seat was comfortable again.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #17

As a person who knows nothing about exercise from experience, let me add that I have heard that you are not supposed to wear bluejeans type pants whilst bike riding due to the large seam pressing against an important blood vessel.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
As a person who knows nothing about exercise from experience, let me add that I have heard that you are not supposed to wear bluejeans type pants whilst bike riding due to the large seam pressing against an important blood vessel.

Mike D.
Probably depends on how tight the jeans you wear are.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

After reading all your comments and Al's linked article, I adjusted my seat so that it tilts forward more and the contact points are the bones in my ass rather than the soft bits to the fore. DW and I went on a date last night that included about 10 miles of trails (along with dinner, margaritas and lovely scenery) and what is mostly sore today is my legs. Thanks for the tips.

- George Orwell

Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

Mike D.
Is this what causes extreme numbness in the lower frontal region? I have such a problem with this that I don't ride very far at all. But I'm always wearing jeans. I don't do long rides, just little neighborhood jaunts, I'd feel like a fool in spandex.