New Desktop or Tablet?

I read that the iPad 2 (but apparently not the iPad) can multitask. On the iPad 2 couldn't one just read the book in one window and look up the map in another? Still trying to learn about what I'm missing.

It's not true multitasking. You can have multiple apps open at the same time, but only one displayed at a time. You can switch between open apps without going through the main screen.

It's not true multitasking. You can have multiple apps open at the same time, but only one displayed at a time. You can switch between open apps without going through the main screen.

Exactly.

That would work just fine for the situation I mentioned above, thanks. And thanks to Meadbh too.

For optimum usability, the general recommendation is to choose the software first, then purchase hardware upon which it runs well.

+1 - When we bought our first stereo, we followed similar advice. We bought the speakers first, then the stereo to run them.

We drive our computers - like our cars, TVs, stereos, etc. - into the proverbial ground. So when we replace something, we go for the best value possible. I don't want the cheapest technology out there. I want the best value for my technology dollar. So, we end up not buying often, but when we do buy, we get the latest technology which is always fun, but not more technology than we need. It's a balancing act. Costs a little more when we replace something, but we replace less often and have everything we need.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Don't forget to enable multitouch scrolling.

Then you just wipe left or right with 3 or 4 fingers to toggle back and forth between apps.

We drive our computers - like our cars, TVs, stereos, etc. - into the proverbial ground. So when we replace something, we go for the best value possible. I don't want the cheapest technology out there. I want the best value for my technology dollar....
Same here; I drive my equipment--and clothes--, and particular cars until I cannot any longer. (I have owned only two cars since 1986, and am still on the 2nd one--at just 80,000 miles since 1998.)

So, as I said earlier, I'll put more miles on my old laptop while keeping an eye out for a new PC. I was tempted to get a suitable $500 HP I saw at Costco yesterday, but think I'll wait, and look for something closer to $800 with more RAM/storage, etc.

Thanks for the tips!

From a January article:
Many of the laptops to be unveiled around the world in coming months will be hybrids or "convertibles" - morphing easily between portable tablets and full-powered laptops with a keyboard, industry analysts say.
and this caught my eye:
But buyers may have to wait until the second half of the year to see many of them.

"The most likely scenario today is for the industry to have these products ready for the back-to-school season," Daoud said.
Full article: Major PC Makers Take Notes From Tablets To Stay Competitive

Most of the Windows 8 tablets, including the Surface, have bombed.

They sound good on paper, that you can run all the existing Windows apps, but they turn out to be heavy, hot and noisy (fans).

Meanwhile, the smaller 7-inch tablets are becoming more popular. iPad Mini may be outselling the regular iPad now.

Meanwhile, the smaller 7-inch tablets are becoming more popular. iPad Mini may be outselling the regular iPad now.
Man I'm old.

Sorry folks, but I don't want to have to get my magnifying glass out each time I use a device. I want to type, not talk. I don't want to have to sharpen my fingertips to use a keyboard. They can take their iPad Mini and stick it (somewhere). I don't want it.

I want a BIG tablet. And a desktop that has a BIG keyboard and BIG display, with a hot running BIG disk.

:wiseone:

JoeWras said:
Man I'm old.

Sorry folks, but I don't want to have to get my magnifying glass out each time I use a device. I want to type, not talk. I don't want to have to sharpen my fingertips to use a keyboard. They can take their iPad Mini and stick it (somewhere). I don't want it.

I want a BIG tablet. And a desktop that has a BIG keyboard and BIG display, with a hot running BIG disk.

:wiseone:

Well, I must be old too. When my current IPad dies, it will be replaced with another 10 inch. With 5 inch smart phones becoming the rage, I don't know why anyone would want a 7 inch tablet. I pitched my desktop years ago with a laptop, and now it is being replaced with a chrome-book I just purchased. I don't store info, however, nor do I need powerful processors for my computer needs.

I find it fascinating how many different usage models are being brought out in these discussions.

I guess if you have a sales background it's quite natural to think of different consumer tastes and preferences. With a tech background I'm sometimes thinking in terms of the one solution that fits all user needs. Quite obviously that is not really possible.

Today I was reading a library book and wanted to look up a place in Scotland. Took the Kindle out and typed the place name into Google which gave me a map. But just using the stylus to type in that name was an error filled process (for me, in this instance). Is there a better way? Would the Kindle version of the book allow me to go through a place name link to a Google map? -- probably not but would be nice and a useful upgrade.

Doesn't the kindle fire have voice recognition? Seems to work reasonably on my ipad although I don't often use it.

Doesn't the kindle fire have voice recognition? Seems to work reasonably on my ipad although I don't often use it.
No it doesn't. I'm being nice and assuming you were not being sarcastic here. :)

The form factor of the Fire and Ipad are quite different and so the usage models are different. Plus the prices are very different.

Probably it would be more useful to compare the Fire to the Ipad Mini. When I looked it up it looks like the Ipad Mini has Siri which is what you are referring to, I think. And perhaps it does cover the usage case I mentioned assuming Siri works somewhat as advertised (as shown here: Apple - iOS 6 - Use your voice to do even more with Siri. ) Care to elaborate?

I just assumed the kindle fire would have voice search because it's android based and I thought you'd be able to get a google voice search app or that Amazon would have installed their own version of the service.

I can tell Siri to "show me a map of scotland" and it brings up a little of map scotland. If I click on it, it goes full screen. The voice recognition works better than I would have thought, but so far I rarely use it. Partly because I don't feel comfortable talking to my ipad and also because it feels slow (waiting the 1/2 second to activate siri, and the 1/2 second for it to send the sound file to apple and get back a response). I just use it for playing around but maybe others here are serious users?

I'm in a similar situation. My desktop with Windows 7 has died - Fortunately I have an old desktop with Windows XP (10 years old) and am using that now. Since I have my desktop hooked up to my stereo and do a lot of editing of audio files, I'm leaning toward a desktop instead of an laptop. My main concern is that I have heard bad reviews of Windows 8. I've seen good deals for desktops (under $400) at HHGegg, Best Buy, and Staples. At some point, I'll also get a tablet for my "on the go" needs. But I admit, I don't exactly embrace changes in technology. I still have a VCR, a cassette tape deck, and a turntable.

You may find this guide useful : http://reviews.ebay.com/Should-I-Buy-a-Laptop-or-Desktop-PC?ugid=1959

Dang it! For the first time in my life I have had a home PC that died: motherboard dead and PC repairer says it is not cost-effective to replace it.

I have a 6-year-old laptop that I am now using as my PC. Should I get another desktop or a tablet. I know, it depends on what I use it for. I usually surf, and do word docs and image editing. Guess I'd like the option of being able to do state-of-the-art audio & visual recordings. I am not a gamer. I suppose I've already answered my question--a desktop could do more than a tablet. If desktop, any suggestions? I just need the tower, not a monitor.

I do like those Samsung tablets I saw at Costco this week. Maybe get both desktop & non-iPad tablet?

Thanks for that link. The article nicely explained various factors to consider.

I am interested more in power than portability. I can use my new tablet for the latter. Since I am now ER'd, I don't need to think about having a portable PC to take to w*rk or use for w*ork on the road--like I did before. Plus, I don't want to be working on confidential stuff like my finances in public somewhere on a laptop; I prefer the privacy of my home, although I know I can always work on $ matters at home on a laptop as well. Maybe the point is I don't want highly confidential matters on a PC that could be stolen when I'm in public. And who knows? Maybe I might get a game or two, or want to try flight simulation--stuff that requires more power and better graphics and sound.

The heat-generating factor was one I had not considered, but is very important.

Desktops are easier and thus less costly to repair. I also want the option of being able to upgrade. Right now I am in the market just for the tower because it was my tower that died. I already have my old monitor, mouse and keyboard, plus external hard drive, external sound card and speakers. I can keep my current gear, and have the option of getting a different monitor, or two, in time. Or an ergo keyboard with more bells & whistles. Or add more RAM. Or switch the video or sound card. That's not as easy or possible with a laptop, is it? (I'm not that tech savvy.)

I also liked this part of the linked article:
Unless a home or office is broken into, the desktop computer is safe from theft, and unless something out of the ordinary happens, it’s safe from damage. The laptop is going to be transported, moved around, set onto various surfaces, and maybe even dropped. It’s going to encounter fluctuating temperatures, maybe be left in a hot (or freezing) car; the possibilities are numerous.

As the article concludes: " If portability is a must, a laptop will be worth the slight loss of performance. If performance is a must, the only options are to expand your budget or accept a desktop."

Whatever I decide, I'm pretty sure I'll get my new PC from Costco for the reasons stated in my earlier post about the tablet I bought there--unless I find some "too good to refuse" offer elsewhere. I doubt it will be from eBay though.

Thanks again for the link.

Last edited:
Birdie, I think you are on the right track for your needs which are similar to mine. Regarding financial stuff, I have all my key Excel files password protected. Also I have a solid (maybe even paranoid) backup strategy.

My current PC is an HP. I chose it after reading several reviews on the hp.com site. So whatever tower you are thinking of, I'd read the reviews (if available) by purchasers on that manufacturer's site.

Of course if your house is on fire or you have to evacuate for some reason (flood, forest fires, hurricanes), it's easier to run out with a laptop than a desktop.

Just have an external backup handy. Of course, an external drive is easier to get stolen.

I have encrypted Turbo Tax returns, encrypted Quicken files, encrypted PDF snapshots of my accounts and an encrypted password manager for all of the above.

The 1Password app. on the iPhone and iPad have the same data sync'd as the application on my computer. They're all back up, in the case of the iPhone and iPad, to iCloud and multiple external drives with Time Machine backups of the MacBook Pro.

I will probably get an iMac later this year though, for the bigger screen, greater storage, faster performance, for photos.

May store more videos, for sending to the Apple TV connected to my big screen.

Of course if your house is on fire or you have to evacuate for some reason (flood, forest fires, hurricanes), it's easier to run out with a laptop than a desktop.

Just have an external backup handy. Of course, an external drive is easier to get stolen.

I have encrypted Turbo Tax returns, encrypted Quicken files, encrypted PDF snapshots of my accounts and an encrypted password manager for all of the above.

The 1Password app. on the iPhone and iPad have the same data sync'd as the application on my computer. They're all back up, in the case of the iPhone and iPad, to iCloud and multiple external drives with Time Machine backups of the MacBook Pro.

I will probably get an iMac later this year though, for the bigger screen, greater storage, faster performance, for photos.

May store more videos, for sending to the Apple TV connected to my big screen.

I really like the large screen on my iMac. It's fantastic for multitasking. In case of emergency, I can just unplug the time machine external backup and run out. I can then plug it back into any Mac computer and recover my whole system.

According to an article today, it looks like the PC industry plans to release tons of newer, cheaper stuff later this year, along with a revamped version of Windows 8. I'll wait until closer to Xmas before I consider getting a new PC.

I think that's damage control. Windows 8 hasn't been received as well as Windows 7 was, so they're already talking about the next release, "Blue."

Of course later this year, there will be faster computers and tablets available. But that's always the case every year, always something better around the corner.

Since you do desktop editing, you need the power and storage capacity of a PC or notebook. Personally, I would go with a PC, unless you need to un-tether and take the desktop with you. In that case you need a notebook.

Second point, get a Nexus 10 tablet. Oops! you bought a galaxy, but that is fine also. Keep in mind that you get more out of android with a gmail account, and all of the associated goodies.

Now you need a notebook...Lol!

Back
Top Bottom