New(er) Car

SLC Tortfeasor said:
I think it's crazy to buy from a dealer, new or used, unless you absolutely have to have precisely the model that's on a particular dealer's lot.  Dealers are in business to make a profit, and they won't be in business long if they're not successful at doing so. 

Individuals, on the other hand, typically don't have the skills or experience at selling used cars to really shaft you.  In fact, there's at least a chance that you'll get the better end of the bargain when you buy from an individual.  With a dealer, you can virtually guarantee you won't.

You say you get "reconditioning" and an "inspection" from a dealer, and that justifies the premium you pay them?  Simply get a mechanic to inspect before you buy to make sure it's a worthy vehicle.  Then get the thing professionally detailed.  It's amazing what a huge difference that makes.

Well "crazy" may be a bit strong. I have owned a lot of vehicles.
Looking back, I don't see any difference (This is just a feeling) between
dealer bought and private sales, nor between having them inspected
before purchase and not. It's kind of a big crap shoot after you agree
on the price. Just my 2 cents.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Well "crazy" may be a bit strong.  I have owned  a lot of vehicles.
Looking back, I don't see any difference (This is just a feeling) between
dealer bought and private sales, nor between having them inspected
before purchase and not.  It's kind of a big crap shoot after you agree
on the price.  Just my 2 cents.

JG

The key is finding a good mechanic that has the skills to inspect a used car from stem to stern. Throw in the fee you pay the mechanic, along with the inconvenience to the seller in regards to the inspection (the seller may need the car to get to work), along with your time to deal with the whole thing, the value of such lost time and inconvenience to you may outweigh the profit you pay to a reputable dealer for a car that you know has been inspected (and perhaps repaired as necessary to make it saleable).

I've had my mechanic do it for $100. Triple A Diagnostic did another car for me. No problem. I wouldn't do it any other way. A seller who won't do this is not a motivated seller- and who wants to mess with a non-motivated seller?

MRGALT2U said:
Taking this concept (dealers making more on used cars), I knew 2 guys
who owned those "No cash, no credit, we don't care/buy here-pay here"
operations.  They both made so much money they hardly knew what to do with
it.  I discovered this too late in life to try it.  Another real good idea
is "payday" loans or cash stores.  Probably overdone now, and surely
will be regulated to death eventually as the politicians think it's taking
advantage of "po folks".

JG

I hear what you're saying.  I know of similar stories.

These places are so offensive to those with a little education, but for the huge (and growing) underclass of people with low or no financial savvy, they're shining beacons of hope.  It really raises that fascinating question of how much government should regulate the otherwise free market to protect people from their own poor choices.

As a person who just scored an 18 on our little red/blue test, I'm favor of a little more regulation.  If I polled the rest of you, would your opinions likewise be consistent with your numerical scores?

Loved our 78 Civic :smitten: - was in demand in 1981 when sold (not a trade-in) to a dealer for $600 less than it cost. (Needed more room for expanding family - unfortunate replacement was a Plymouth Reliant wagon :mad: that Lee Iacocca convinced me to buy (appealed to my patriotism) - later got a horrible trade-in. Lee's back on TV I see - you will do well to ignore him.

Toyota Prius is the hot hybrid, but I don't hear as much about Honda's Civic Hybrid.
Any experiences with ?
Want to downsize my car as well as my home and body.

DanTien said:
Loved our 78 Civic :smitten: - was in demand in 1981 when sold (not a trade-in) to a dealer for $600 less than it cost. (Needed more room for expanding family - unfortunate replacement was a Plymouth Reliant wagon  :mad: that Lee Iacocca convinced me to buy (appealed to my patriotism) - later got a horrible trade-in. Lee's back on TV I see - you will do well to ignore him.   

Toyota Prius is the hot hybrid, but I don't hear as much about Honda's Civic Hybrid.
Any experiences with ?

Of all my vehicles, I would rate the Mazda Miata number One.
I owned 2. Cheap to buy. Cheap to run. Fun to drive.
What's not to like? If price to buy is ignored, then it would be
Cadillac Sevilles by a mile.

JG

DanTien said:
Loved our 78 Civic :smitten: - was in demand in 1981 when sold (not a trade-in) to a dealer for $600 less than it cost. (Needed more room for expanding family - unfortunate replacement was a Plymouth Reliant wagon :mad: that Lee Iacocca convinced me to buy (appealed to my patriotism) - later got a horrible trade-in. Lee's back on TV I see - you will do well to ignore him.

Any experiences with ?

I've read that the reason prius causes such a stir compared to the civic is that it instantly announces itself as a hybrid, where only the small badge on the back of the civic lets you know it's any different from all the others. Prius pulls away from the curb silently (electric only) where civic has the motor running (electric assist), all that =sex appeal for prius. The civic hybrid gets high marks and actually seems to be slightly more reliable (prius has a nagging engine stall problem).

My aunt bought the Accord hybrid, and while the gas mileage is o.k., it's not nearly what was promised. :-\

[Would you feel you were getting good value by paying a guy who wears expensive suits? 

During 25 years at one of the premier law firms in my state, I drove in serial order: Accord, Civic, Saturn, Suburu, Toyota Prius. My wife has a 2002 Lexus RX300: just recognized as the most reliable used car available presently.

Laurence said:
I've read that the reason prius causes such a stir compared to the civic is that it instantly announces itself as a hybrid, where only the small badge on the back of the civic lets you know it's any different from all the others.  Prius pulls away from the curb silently (electric only) where civic has the motor running (electric assist), all that =sex appeal for prius.  The civic hybrid gets high marks and actually seems to be slightly more reliable (prius has a nagging engine stall problem).

Windsurf:
Prius was designed bumper to bumper as a hybrid vs. Civic's retrofit;  there is a significant difference in the technology.  There is no statistically significant "stall problem." Prius was just recognized in Consumer reports recent auto issue as nearly the highest in owner satisfaction.  I have 42k miles on mine now.  Averaging over 50 mpg in the warm weather and use it in place of my wife's suv for all the hour or longer trips. As to the "stir," most of the people I know who got the Prius enjoy the idea of near zero emissions and using a hell of a lot less foreign oil.  I am sure there are people who enjoy the irony of "announcing" that they are driving a nerd car.  Actually, the car is quite quick and has the same interior space as a Camry.

windsurf said:
During 25 years at one of the premier law firms in my state, I drove in serial order: Accord, Civic, Saturn, Suburu, Toyota Prius.  My wife has a 2002 Lexus RX300: just recognized as the most reliable used car available presently. 

Were any of the foregoing vehicles bought new? That would make a difference in regards to image. A new Honda beats a 5+ year old Honda hands down in the image department.

Back
Top Bottom