Join Early Retirement Today

New ER passtime, D&D!
Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New ER passtime, D&D!

Recently my wife and I have joined a local game club who meet once a week at a member's house to play D&D. I missed out on this during the 80s and have actually been enjoying getting back to pen and paper. Half of our time is spent eating and discussing random movies and events and the other half is going through the dungeon master's campaign. I am a level 6 priest (I usually play a healer or tank in online games so just went with what I know) who is LG (which seems to stand for lawful good, although I won't bat and eye at stealing treasure from an empty house unlike the paladin in our group who won't even go into a house uninvited).

I would imagine I am the only one on ER.org playing D&D
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

i played with the original 3 book set back in the late 70s. We played through HS and college. I still have my dice!
Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have not played since the 80's, but used to like it.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had (still have) quite religious parents who would have burned any D&D books I brought home in the 80s and taken me to a summer retreat for an intervention.

I don't joke.

I feel that now that I am fired and in my mid 40s, I can play what I want to play.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I played countless hours of D&D in the 80s and absolutely loved it. I think the last time I played was probably 1984, and by then it was starting to lose some of its appeal for me.

In recent years, though, I've gotten back into the world of fantasy gaming, but in a different format. I now play Magic: The Gathering and a few other fantasy/horror-themed board games with friends about once a month. If you like D&D and haven't tried Magic, I'd recommend giving it a shot. Definitely one of my most enjoyable new hobbies.

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You're not the only one! I've been playing since I was 18, DH since he was about 8. We have two different campaigns going on alternate Fridays, and I don't see us stopping until we're too old and decrepit to roll dice anymore.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I got into it pretty hard with the PC platform - played baldur's gate and later on neverwinter nights - I haven't found anything much on the PS4 lately but there is a "free" neverwinter on the PS4

https://www.lifewire.com/top-dungeons-dragons-pc-813094
Old 09-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Part of the attraction to me is getting away from the computer, as I have played nearly a dog lifetime of World of Warcraft. It is the difference between reading a book and watching a movie. Both can be entertaining but in different ways.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #9

Whew! I thought it was drink and drive! After reading about 8% withdrawal rates....
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #10

Very heavy player back in the 70s (high school and college), only online versions since.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #11

You are in a cavern...

From my username, it will surprise no one that I would be all over this like orcs on a manwich.

But thirty-odd years ago, careers and children and chores elbowed out my beloved nerdly interests, so revisiting this one will have to wait till I RE. Less than TMY to go.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
i played with the original 3 book set back in the late 70s. We played through HS and college. I still have my dice!
Me too. Started in '75. I still have the original 3 books, the little paper pamphlet set. My Organic Chemistry prof also owned a small hobby shop in town, and we'd play in the back room in the winter, since we didn't have heat in our $60/month house. Good times. Even when I started working at my first Mega non-profit a bunch of us would get together at lunch for a quick adventure. I still use a couple of my old character names as usernames on other forums.

Enjoy. Creative imagination is great. Although I prefer Chaotic Neutral.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #13

Interesting that you guys saved your books and dice from the 70's. So have I. That says something about the impact of the game on our lives.

In many ways my D&D years were peak years for me, possibly the first ones I'd choose to relive if given a chance.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never played D&D. But got hooked by Everquest on the PC years ago. Avoid it if you can. It's not called Evercrack for nothing!
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Nope. D&D is a hoot! I say that as a half-elf warrior. 😉

Anyone who wants to play, Meetup.com is a good place to find a local game. You'll need a player's guide and some dice.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
Nope. D&D is a hoot! I say that as a half-elf warrior. 😉

Anyone who wants to play, Meetup.com is a good place to find a local game. You'll need a player's guide and some dice.

SIS
Yes, Meetup is where I found this group. In a small small town in the middle of nowhere. I would never have known a group existed in this area.

So see, there IS a reason I spend so much time on the internet!

(Rolls a perception check, critical fail)