New everyday dishes - Corelle? Porcelain?

Thank you for this thread. We have been looking for dishes that are less fragile to use on back patio. We had been looking at Corelle but never thought to look at their site. Went to the site now and ordered service for 16 (100 pieces) with 15% off and free shipping so came to $261.32.

Again, thanks!

Marc

In a burst of simple living fever a few years back, I got rid of all our other dish sets and now only have a set of plain white Corelle. It seems to be nearly indestructible and doesn't take up much space. We saw one estate sale where the household was super cluttered and had 6 sets of china. I kind of want to be the opposite of that. Still working on the rest of the clutter.

Last edited:
Another vote for the plainest white corelle. Can't beat it. If I was going to have an everyday set and a fancy set, I would have a set. Due to seeking simplicity, the house white stuff from pier 1 is my all the time set.

DW bought Fiesta ware seconds at their annual factory sale and at their tent sale at Flatwoods WV. It took few years to get her set but it was way cheaper than $261, and you'd never know they were seconds.

Another vote foe Corelle. Besides all the other advantages listed I would add that they stack efficiently in your cupboard taking up less storage space.

Q... we finally agree on something! We have Correlle in both of our homes... looks good, durable, lightweight and takes up less storage space in the cupboard.

We also chose a "non-directional" pattern to make setting the table easier. One of our past sets had a picture on the plates so they had to be just so.

We have plain white corelle. What I like about them - they are thin - so you can stack a lot of them, in a smaller space. We have a set of 20... so we never run out even if it's been a day or so since we ran the dishwasher.

My issue with patterned dinnerware is that sometimes the pattern can look dated or I grow tired of it. Plain white may be boring - but it's always in style, doesn't detract from the food I'm putting on it, etc.

FWIW - I'm an incredible klutz and haven't broken one yet.

Thank you for this thread. We have been looking for dishes that are less fragile to use on back patio. We had been looking at Corelle but never thought to look at their site. Went to the site now and ordered service for 16 (100 pieces) with 15% off and free shipping so came to $261.32.

Again, thanks!

Marc

You're so welcome Marc - glad I could help! I honestly didn't expect this many responses. Thanks all for the input, but keep it coming if you haven't chimed in yet.

.........I was going to replace them with stoneware but now I'm not sure.

Boho, I forgot to put this in the original post. We've noticed these stoneware dishes getting REALLY hot when using them in the microwave, like dangerously hot. This is a recent development and yet another reason for us to look for their replacement.

We gave away our Pfaltzgraff dishes and went to Corelle dishes years ago. My elderly aunt tried to give me a beautiful set of China and I declined. I felt like Daylatedollarshort and wanted to simplify.

I don’t even need dishes. But if I get a wild hair this thread will have me looking at Corelle. :)

One of the reasons that Corelle is so strong is that they are made of tempered glass. The tempering process creates a lot of stress in the glass surface. It is also the reason that when it does break, it shatters into a lot of small pieces. Any significant scratches create a weak point in that stress and will break a lot easier than an unscratched one. I still like Corelle and will continue to use it.

I have had Corelle for decades. A couple of years ago I went to an outlet store while on vacation. I decided on a pattern I liked and then went on the Corelle website when I got home. They were as cheap on the website (including shipping) as in the outlet store. After you make a purchase, you will start getting emails with discounts.

Two things though...as was mentioned, stoneware holds heat better (maybe because of the extra mass or whatever) so it's the better choice if you want to keep food hot longer and can deal with the extra weight. Second, my Corelle plates don't have a ridge on the bottom so the entire bottom touches the table and they used to stick to my vinyl tablecloth sometimes, back when I used that table. I remember shopping for new plates a few years ago (never got them) and looking for an unglazed ridge on the bottom to prevent sticking.

if someone else is setting the table, doing the dishes, and storing them, I love heavy stoneware. In my house, where DW and I have to do all of that stuff, we use Corelle. Not fancy, not elegant, but very practical.
We have elegant friends who when they entertain, they seem to have an elegant, heavy, and beautiful set of dinnerware for whatever season it happens to be. Christmas, Summer, Autumn...always different, always tasteful....love it.

When they come here, it's Corelle. Except in the summer. It might be paper. But the food is good.

Another vote for Corelle. Ours are plain white, I think they look just fine, and have all the great attributes already mentioned (I especially like the efficient stacking). Now that a grand tot spends a lot of time with us, he's got his own set of the small white Corelle plates and dishes.

Dollar Tree has beautiful fiesta dinnerware made my Royal Norfolk. I compared to Bed Bath and Beyond Fiesta. So similar, it was worth $1 a plate, bowl, bread plate combo for 16 people. When my entire family comes for dinner, they do not know the difference and they wash nicely in the dishwasher. $48 for a dinner setting for 16 people works for me.

our corelle dishes are almost 30 years old...some light chipping on the edges of a few dinner plates.

not sure if we've lost a compete plate yet...

Corelle are our only dishes. Hot dogs or steak & lobster, it all goes on Corelle - :)

We use fine China for every day. It’s not that heavy and very strong.

Back
Top Bottom