Join Early Retirement Today

New Guitar
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Guitar

So...I sold my old(er) Martin D-35 a few months ago. I hadn't played it or anything else in a long while, & I didn't think I'd miss it. We were getting the house fixed up to sell ahead of moving from Louisiana to Wisconsin, & I thought the money would be better spent on some improvements. So...I let her go. Now that I share a 2-office suite with a co-worker who plays a lot, I've decided I really "need" another guitar. And...along those lines, I have purchased a new Martin HD-28, and the Fedex guy should deliver it today. Any of you folks into guitars? Seems like I recall a couple of folks saying they played. It's something I used to do every day, but I kind of slacked off for a few years & now I'm ready to get back into playing. Hopefully I can remember a few things!
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
So...I sold my old(er) Martin D-35 a few months ago. I hadn't played it or anything else in a long while, & I didn't think I'd miss it. We were getting the house fixed up to sell ahead of moving from Louisiana to Wisconsin, & I thought the money would be better spent on some improvements. So...I let her go. Now that I share a 2-office suite with a co-worker who plays a lot, I've decided I really "need" another guitar. And...along those lines, I have purchased a new Martin HD-28, and the Fedex guy should deliver it today. Any of you folks into guitars? Seems like I recall a couple of folks saying they played. It's something I used to do every day, but I kind of slacked off for a few years & now I'm ready to get back into playing. Hopefully I can remember a few things!
nice...musciansfriend? have fun opening the box and playing it!...among the acoustic guitars in the house is a J-15 Martin and Larrivee OM-03R..i'm slacking off lately not feeling it...watch my son and others waiting for the muse to pay a visit...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have four bass guitars in our house....2 Fenders and 2 Carvins. DH has been playing for about 35 years. As far as yours truly goes, I dust them....

Congrats on your new purchase!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
nice...musciansfriend? have fun opening the box and playing it!...among the acoustic guitars in the house is a J-15 Martin and Larrivee OM-03R..i'm slacking off lately not feeling it...watch my son and others waiting for the muse to pay a visit...

I bought this one (the HD-28) from Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. My D-35 came from Heart Of Texas Music, when I lived in Austin in the 80's & 90's. I'm a Martin guy, as far as acoustic guitars. I wonder why? Let's see...my name is Martin. My mom's maiden name was Martin. My ancestors (dad's side) came from England to the US in the 1600's on a ship named Martin...see a pattern? I'm originally from the Carolinas, hence I gravitate to bluegrass/mountain music that lends itself well to the Martin guitar's sound. I wish I was related to the Martin family that owns the company. Wonder if they'd agree to a DNA test? My last name is the same as a very famous piano company. How could I not be a great musician?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Administrator

Have fun with your new guitar. I had a D-35 for a long time and finally sold it to someone who loved it more than I did. It deserved to be played daily and it wasn't my preferred guitar.

I think that a new instrument sometimes is the catalyst for improved playing and new musical view on old material. You should have a blast!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Have fun with your new guitar. I had a D-35 for a long time and finally sold it to someone who loved it more than I did. It deserved to be played daily and it wasn't my preferred guitar.

I think that a new instrument sometimes is the catalyst for improved playing and new musical view on old material. You should have a blast!

Interesting....that's exactly what I was thinking when I sold my D-35. I advertised it on Craigslist and a guy from about 100 miles away brought his wife over and he instantly fell in love with the beautiful sound of that guitar. He was a very good player, and a Martin lover. I knew he was the right person to sell it too. However, when I decided I wanted to start playing again, I emailed him to see if he wanted to sell it back to me, or to at least let me know if he ever decided to sell. He replied that he loves this guitar so much, it's become his favorite & the only one he ever plays anymore. He's friends with Trace Adkins, and Trace has signed the guitar for him, and he says he doesn't think he'll ever be selling it. So...I think I sold to the right guy, at least. That D-35 really does sound nice! I bought it new, and it was 17 yr old when I sold it. I really wish I hadn't, though! Should have listened to my wife!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually have learned that you must have 2 acoustic guitars in the house at any time. Guitar playing is a fantastic social activity, and you should always have a beater available for when a guitar playing bud drops by.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #8

Yep, I used to keep a beater (cheap Yamaha I picked up in Vegas) for when I went on work-related trips & x-country family visits. I took one all the way to South Korea & lived in a tent for a month with it.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This was passed to me by Dad. I lent it to my son when he was at college. THe guitar has seen better days, and I need to take it the factory for a refurbish.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #10

Geeters in my house, Fender American Strat, Taylor 814CE and Taylor Big Baby as my beater. Great therapy geeter playin is !
Old 02-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Geeters in my house, Fender American Strat, Taylor 814CE and Taylor Big Baby as my beater. Great therapy geeter playin is !

My co-worker just bought a new Taylor 710CE and really really likes it. Unfortunately, he didn't get clearance from the boss {wife} to buy it, so he's been in the dog house for a week now. My wife, on the other hand, was more agreeable with my purchase. Anything to keep me outta her hair.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #12

I'm a lifelong frustrated guitar player, mainly folk, with inexpensive guitars (Takamine, Yamaha). Last year I decided to learn some jazz, so I bought an Ibanez hollow body artcore guitar. Very mellow jazz sound, but after fingerpicking acoustic guitars I had no techinque for flat picking a jazz guitar. Took some lessons, and now I can accompany myself pretty well along with some Band in the Box traditional jazz songs. It's brought fun back into my guitar playing but I'm far from being a pro at it.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

No guitars.....have a couple of mandolins though. Need to sell my Rigel (keeping the old Gibson F4) and maybe order an electric solid body 5 string... but I have been slacking the last month or so and haven't been practicing. Mostly classical for me.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Never sell a guitar!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #15

Yes, now I know!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Never sell a guitar!
Guitars I have sold (and regretted selling):

Gurian JR
Framus - acoustic beater
Martin D-35
Larivee L-9 (rebuilt after accident and never road worthy again)

Maybe not so much regret as miss? I think an instrument is a very personal item and selling one seems like selling a loved pet. But how many do you really need (or can you really play)?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Never sell a guitar!
I was watching Antiques Roadshow last night and a woman brought in a guitar she got from her dad (apparently he's still alive, which is a bit surprising to me since something like this would usually be an inheritance). It was a pristine 1962 Fender Stratocaster, left handed and in a custom color. She had the catalog where it was listed at a price of $289.

The appraiser said he had consulted with several others and conservatively placed a value of $48,000 on the guitar.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Lemme think a minute:

- 3 strats (different pickup configurations)
- 2 teles (one to go to Ebay soon)
- Korean LP & 335 copies
- Korean PRS Santana (also headed to Ebay)
- Jazz & Pee Bass Deluxes
- 11 old Fender amps

I play in two bands...bass in a beatnik jazz band, and guitar in a Brown Eyed Sally classic rock/blooz band. Both rehearse every week, but only play out a half dozen times a year.

Marty, as a Martin devotee you'd love this book:

Amazon.com: Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument: Allen St. John: Books

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Never sell a guitar!
DW (actually dear girlfriend at the time) bought me a Gibson J45 in 1970. I played it a lot but eventually it wound up stored under the bed in the spare room not seeing life outside its case for several years. I thought I'd sell it and mentioned it to DW. I've never seen her look so hurt so fast. Needless to say, I still have it and play a little for her once in a while......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS4SVSNH1-Finish-Shot.jpg (186.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

My herd includes:
1) Seagull S6 Spruce Dread
2) Seagull S6 Folk Ceder
3) Godin LG electrically operated
The acoustics are manufactured in Quebec. I think the LG was assembled in NH. The Folk is the best of the bunch hands down.

Reminds me of a story, before I played guitar. I was working an IT contract in NJ. We took our young kids to the Crayola Factory Outlet in PA. Drove past the Martin Guitar facility which offered factory tours.

This was maybe 12 years ago. My son, who is 18 now and also plays guitar, can't believe we drove past the Martin factory!
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote