Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Back to the iPad. Is there and application out there some place that can edit Word, Excel, PPT etc?
I bought the iOS Numbers app for $9.99. I've been surprised at how well it converts Excel spreadsheets, some surprisingly pretty complex functions and graphs come across intact - but not all. But IMO it's not reasonable to expect a $10 app to replicate Excel in full. So it depends on exactly how complex your docs are, and no tablet can be expected to perform like a PC. For example we have an Excel file with a lookup table 1500 rows by 10 columns. My Numbers app can run it, but it's unacceptably slow, so we don't.

And my iPad can open and read Word docs with no app, but not edit. I assume iOS Pages (also $9.99) might be able to edit Word docs, but someone else would have to verify as I have no hands on experience.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

With new iOS devices, iWork should be free:

Apple Makes iWork Free, Adds Collaboration and Many Other Features

So the OP should check the App Store and see if he can get those for free.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The high prices for Apple products are a problem for me. My son feels differently though and bought an Iphone recently. He used the reasoning "it just works" but I should mention that he's in advertising and has a much thinner dollar reserve then I do.
You can get substantial discounts if you are part of the developer program (the best) or can access edu pricing (not quite as good). Refurb (from apple) is also option that I've used in the past and is great. This primarily helps with the high end laptops/desktops -- not sure about ipads/iphones.

I always sell my old apple products on ebay/craigslist when I upgrade. Basically this knocks off a significant chunk of the new price (maybe 25%) of the replacement device.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
OR, the forum police/gestapo

Back to the iPad. Is there and application out there some place that can edit Word, Excel, PPT etc? I did purchase a Keyboard so that part I am happy with.

Here is what would help me:

1) An App to do the above.
2) An App to copy to and from Windows and a I/F to do it. (USB Style?) Somebody mentioned Documents?
3) A File Manager for managing files like Unix/windows
4) A Print app that works in the background to print to regular IP Printers (I have no AirPrint Devices) but I do have a good laser color) I did download a print app that runs on it's own but it is cumbersome.

See! For all you skeptics out there, I am trying........ Seems a shame to sell it for so little, and it was Free.

1. I don't know about PPT, but I use Pages for word docs and Numbers for excel docs.

2,3. I use Filebrowser or run files from my Dropbox.

4. I use an eprinter, but I don't know if there's an app that enables printer to a regular IP printer.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #45

You could alway try GoogleDocs and access your content using the Google Drive app. I use this for viewing, but I'd never do any real input on an iPad.

Regarding the ecosystem, I actually prefer it's controlled. Apple products for the most part just work and a big reason is because of this control. As someone that has to deal with the tech issues in our house it's a big plus. We have a lot of Apple products and the time I spend fixing issues is small. As I said, big plus.

Of course, it's not everybody's cup of tea. It's good to have choices and competition. I'd be real tempted for a Nexus 7, but I enjoy my iPad Air and don't really have a reason to change.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
(4) ...
AirPrint is how apps print on iOS. There is no real general work around, as you saw, there are some specific apps that print pdfs and such, but they are not a general solution.

Most new printers support AirPrint. My Dad bought this $100 laser printer from Amazon last month
that supports AirPrint, duplex printing, and WiFi networking. Very nice printer. ...
Just want to point out, the printer you linked (Brother HL-2270DW) does not support AirPrint. I know, I have one, and if you look at your link, you'll see you need to step up to the HL-5450DN for AirPrint support.

That said, the HL-2270DW does support Cortado Workplace (also shown in that link), and this is a free app. I plugged my HL-2270DW into one of the wired ports of my wireless router, installed Cortado on DW's iPad and Android smart-phone, and I can print wirelessly from them. Seems I had a few head-scratching/glitchy moments getting Cortado set up, maybe it took a reboot or something for all the apps to see it, but it seems to be working great now.

That HL-2270DW is a big seller on Amazon, and gets great reviews. My Canon ink-jet with cheap carts ( ~ $2) finally gave up the ghost after almost ten years of use. I had purchased the 2270 for my Mom when her inkjet died, one for DD when her inkjet died, and one for other DD when she needed one at school. Replacement toner is cheap - $15-$30 for 2700 pages (something like that - the 'starter cart' is supposedly 700 pages, but you can get more, see below). I miss the option of printing a little color when I want, but it's nice not wondering if I'll need to run a 'print head cleaning cycle' to get a good print or if a cart will run out in the middle of a page.

BTW, set to 'toner saver mode' and 'continue on low toner' and you will get far more life out of a toner cart. I also set print density to -6 (lowest), and the print is fine for my needs. Not sure how much toner that saves, but it can't hurt.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Just want to point out, the printer you linked (Brother HL-2270DW) does not support AirPrint. I know, I have one, and if you look at your link, you'll see you need to step up to the HL-5450DN for AirPrint support.
Sorry about that. Yes, the HL-2270DW doesn't have AirPrint. I was confused in that my Dad bought this one and uses it with his Mac. My Mom bought the Brother HL-5450DN, which does have AirPrint support, but no Wi-Fi (you have you plug it into a wired network that also has Wi-Fi to use it with your iPad/iPhone) to use with her iPad.

I personally print so very little that I never replaced my honking HP laser printer that work provided me back when. I get by with an HP Photosmart 5520 inkjet printer/scanner. It does do AirPrint and Wi-Fi.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Sorry about that. Yes, the HL-2270DW doesn't have AirPrint. ... .
Oh, no problem, I just didn't want someone to come away with the wrong impression, and maybe make a purchase that wouldn't work out as they hoped. This whole printing business, especially with mobile thrown in, sure gets confusing. At least I know it has my head spinning.

From what I understand, that Cortado workplace basically works by having you send the document up to 'the cloud', and they have a print server with drivers for many printers, and they can send the print commands to your printer from their server (after you've configured and given access and all - which their app takes care of for you). Pretty amazing to me.

In fact, that has stirred up an old question I had on printer drivers in general, I will start a new thread, and come back and update this post with a link.

and here is the new thread, for anyone interested:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1411621

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I would think you'd want Wifi printers and possibly locate the printer outside.

They spew particulates of ink or toner material into the air.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote