Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Do metal roofs collect leaves and pine straw the same way asphalt roofs do?
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2018, 08:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had my roof done early last year. He lives nearby and his wife cuts my hair in their home. The work was excellent quality and the price was good compared to what neighbors had paid. He also has an excellent reputation in town and gets all work by word of mouth. Very happy.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Things generally slide off of pitched standing-seam roofs.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:03 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Not really...but what people fail to tell you about metal roofs...the metal itself will hold up for a looong time. The screws/nails used have a rubber washer on them. Rubber in hot/cold environments does not hold up well. The rubber washer will wear out and you will get leaks. And its not as simple as replacing the washer or applying caulk to seal it.

I still like metal roofs but in terms of longevity...good luck with that.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Not really...but what people fail to tell you about metal roofs...the metal itself will hold up for a looong time. The screws/nails used have a rubber washer on them. Rubber in hot/cold environments does not hold up well. The rubber washer will wear out and you will get leaks. And its not as simple as replacing the washer or applying caulk to seal it.

I still like metal roofs but in terms of longevity...good luck with that.
You bought the wrong kind of metal roof. Mine is a standing seam roof I had installed 7 years ago. Each panel has one edge that is screwed down to the roof and is then covered by the next panel, crimped down to lock it in place, and then that panel is screwed down every 12 inches. Repeat. Then entire edge around the roof is then crimped down to a special drip edge. There are no exposed screws (rubber washers are not used or necessary) and there is no place for wind to get under it. Mine has been through a couple of hurricanes and a few north easterns and shows no wear or damage. Of course if you are looking for the inexpensive metal roof then you have to deal with rubber washers and the screws eventually getting loose.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:15 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
You bought the wrong kind of metal roof. Mine is a standing seam roof I had installed 7 years ago. Each panel has one edge that is screwed down to the roof and is then covered by the next panel, crimped down to lock it in place, and then that panel is screwed down every 12 inches. Repeat. Then entire edge around the roof is then crimped down to a special drip edge. There are no exposed screws (rubber washers are not used or necessary) and there is no place for wind to get under it. Mine has been through a couple of hurricanes and a few north easterns and shows no wear or damage. Of course if you are looking for the inexpensive metal roof then you have to deal with rubber washers and the screws eventually getting loose.

Cheers!
Ah I always forget...not many diy's here.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #27

• How many workers would be on the job
  • How long will it take your team to complete the job
  • Will the lead person speak English
  • What is the payment schedule

One concern should be nights where a small team would start the tear off then just throw a tarp over your roof and come back (maybe) tomorrow. Unless it's raining, in which case, you'll have to find buckets, because the tarp blew off. In other words, find someone with a large enough team to do it in one day, guaranteed.

And of course, pay a the smallest percentage you can negotiate to secure the contract. You can pay most of the balance once the new roof is to your satisfaction, but hold back 10% or so until after the first big rain storm.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #28

Quote:

Cheers!
Yep. I have some old farm property with a barn and granary that have galvanized standing-seam roofs at least 70 years old. I can see up into the rafters, and even after all that time there's no sign of water intrusion. The durability of those roofs was a factor in our decision to put standing-seam roofing on our home.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:30 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
The opposite is a problem in the North, snow and ice will slide off the metal roof easily. Friends installed a metal roof on a 2 story cottage. The next spring when they came up, they found the front wooden step and railings had been crushed by ice/snow sliding off.
It even took off the metal fence like thing that was mounted on the roof to prevent snow sliding off onto the steps.

Maybe a different thing would stop the snow/ice from sliding, but they don't use it in the Winter, so no issue for them.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #30

Quote:

Cheers!
Lots of good info. Thanks.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #31

Here is some helpful terminology. Replacing a roof (here in the Midwest) can mean EITHER stripping the old shingles off and applying new tar paper and shingles over the plywood decking OR it can mean putting a second layer of shingles over existing shingles. In our area/climate, local code allows both. The second layer method is cheaper, and usually does a fine job for 20 years or so. You are not allowed a 3rd layer (unless you have a very, very steep roof).
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Here is some helpful terminology. Replacing a roof (here in the Midwest) can mean EITHER stripping the old shingles off and applying new tar paper and shingles over the plywood decking OR it can mean putting a second layer of shingles over existing shingles. In our area/climate, local code allows both. The second layer method is cheaper, and usually does a fine job for 20 years or so. You are not allowed a 3rd layer (unless you have a very, very steep roof).
This is indeed code and for sure cheaper, but I just couldn't do it. Given how big the job already is, I can't convince myself not to get a look at the sheathing under the first layer of shingles and make sure everything is in good shape. I suffer for "might as well do it right" syndrome. It will be harder now that at this stage in my life I don't think I'll be in my current house more than ten years, but one never knows. For me, it's a moot point because the schlep that lived here before me put the second layer on so I'll have no choice. Probably should have done the second shingle method on my prior house because I only lived there about 5 years after I did the roof. I just don't think I could have done it.

Really appreciate the insight on the metal roof. I will definitely check that out when it's time to do mine. Maybe there will be some offset in the sales price when I sell it for having the longer lasting roof.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post

Really appreciate the insight on the metal roof. I will definitely check that out when it's time to do mine. Maybe there will be some offset in the sales price when I sell it for having the longer lasting roof.
Don't forget you get at least a 5% break on homeowners insurance depending on the chances of hail where you live. (Depends on if your state has the discount, check with insurance agent).
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Some people get carried away, I spent weeks last summer striping off 4 layers of roof on a boat house.

Our house had 2 layers on it when we bought it, but we got lucky and had a hail storm, so the insurance had to pay the extra $500 cost to strip 2 layers instead of 1.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #35

I should have had installed a metal roof long before I finally had it done. I went through 2 shingle roofs in the meantime. These were 30+ yr shingles from leading companies that didn't last 15 years in the Fl weather and the warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on. They are usually prorated and do not cover labor which is the most expensive part. So for a $3-4k job you might only get a couple of hundred dollars toward a new roof.

Although the metal roof cost more to install if you are planning on staying in that home then the metal roof is more cost effective. If I had the metal roof installed to begin with I could have saved myself a few thousand dollars, the inconvenience of reroofing, and avoided weather damage and leaks. Now the roof is tight, the heating/cooling is cheaper, and I don't see having to ever need a new roof.

Now I just laugh at bad weather.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Love metal roofs, both asthetically and longevity. I installed standing seam metal last year. One recommendation: Install roof anchors so you can rope up when walking on it. Metal is very slippery, especially when wet, or dusty. My roof accumulates cedar and maple debris. Roof pitch is 4/12 and leaves do not slide off on its own. A few times during fall, I'll walk the roof with a blower to clean it.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #37

There was a stretch in the 1990s when composite shingles were absolute garbage. Many of the major manufacturers had class actions against them for premature failure.

We live on a windy hill, so when we did a big remodeling of our house 20 years ago we had the roofer install barn-style T-lock shingles with a 30-year warranty. Boy, those pups were heavy -- and thick. But the grit wasn't secure in the surface, and it washed right off. After 12 years our insurer declared it irreparable and wrote us a check for a new roof. That's when we went with metal.

I'm with you, Badger. I used to check the roof for damage after every big blow. I don't have to do that anymore. I believe the metal roof will add to resale value of our house as well.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #38

Quote:
I did the double layer when put the new shingles on the last house. It worked well but I'm (well they this time, I'm to old to be up there) going down to the plywood for this house.