Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New Skills You've Been Meaning To Learn
Old 04-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nope, an old takamine (martin copy) that i've had for 30 years. I thought about trading it in for a nice D-18 or D-28 but all my songs are inside that old tak. In any case, the dog can't hear the difference.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I still want to buy a ocean worthy Kayak and explore the coastline near my house, I don't know if that's a skill, but an activity that I really want to start soon. Really, not trying to kill the thread! I know it's been posted in various threads with various levels of seriousness, but what is the best ocean going kayak? I've swam in the same ocean many times, several in triathlon events, and I've always been good in boats/not fearful, and been pretty decent with a paddle, so with that in mind, I guess I need a kayak ideal for a competent beginner.

Keep meaning on buying a guitar, my daughter will soon get bored with me singing a capella...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Nope, an old takamine (martin copy) that i've had for 30 years.* I thought about trading it in for a nice D-18 or D-28 but all my songs are inside that old tak.* In any case, the dog can't hear the difference.
Very good.* The Gibson J45 DW (then girlfriend) bought me for college graduation in 1969 is living in its case under the bed in the guest room.* Maybe one of these days...............* It's really been a long time.

BTW, there is quite a bit of bluegrass activity here in NE Illinois. Actually, a lot of live acoustic music in general.*
Old 04-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Very good. The Gibson J45 DW (then girlfriend) bought me for college graduation in 1969 is living in its case under the bed in the guest room. Maybe one of these days............... It's really been a long time.
youbet - That was some girlfriend you had back then - good taste, must have had some bucks and liked you enough to get quality.
I had to buy my own - got a Larrivee OM-03R out of Vancouver and son has a Martin J-15 - had to buy that too!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yep, she sure was/is.* And even now, after just celebrating wedding anniversay #36, still no complaints from me.*

Gee, all this guitar talk is starting to get me interested again..........* With ER only 7.8 weeks away, maybe I should send away for some new strings and one of those new, fancy electronic tuning gizmos.

The instrument I wish I had back is the Gibson Mastertone 5-string with Scruggs pegs I foolishly sold to a friend back in the 70's.* ah well.....it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The larrivee and the Martin J-15......* very nice.* Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #26

Did you know for sure she was the one before she got you the Gibson?

Congrats on 36 years and the upcoming ER!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I still want to buy a ocean worthy Kayak and explore the coastline near my house
You will be eaten by a shark the size of a school bus. I saw it in a movie, so it must be true.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I still want to buy a ocean worthy Kayak and explore the coastline near my house, I don't know if that's a skill, but an activity that I really want to start soon.* Really, not trying to kill the thread!* I know it's been posted in various threads with various levels of seriousness, but what is the best ocean going kayak?
Lawrence,
I'm in southern Cal, where are you? Lots of good kayaks each has its trade offs. You might like a sit on top. But there are singles, doubles, sit inside, sit on tops and then you choose what material you want; plastic, fiberglass or folding. Do you want to fish, sail or surf? I've had a bunch and have three right now. P-mail me with your interests and I will try to offer some suggestions.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
You will be eaten by a shark the size of a school bus.* I saw it in a movie, so it must be true.
Whoa! That would stink! But I'm worth more to DW dead than alive, so maybe that's why she's telling me to follow my dreams...

Thanks yakers, you got mail!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

My main acoustic is a Takamine EG-335SC, acoustic/electric. Not a Martin or Taylor... And no one will ever mistake me for Doc Watson.. :P

I have a SG, two Strats (one maple, one ebony), an Ibanez Artcore electric that looks like an old Gretsch, a no-name bass with a Sponge Bob sticker on it, and a cheap 3/4 fiddle, that I can barely play...

Carvin 50w (6L6 based) combo amp, Hendrix CryBaby, DOD fuzz, DoD flanger, DigiTech delay, midi keyboard and Alesis sound module, and a TASCAM 4-track cassette.

Now if I could just hurry up and FIRE...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Used to play jazz / pop trumpet professionally. Told my DW I'd look for a small trio or quartet (acoustic) some day...

Retirement goal: get a street license to play the corners in New Orleans (hat, dark glasses, take up a collection, do requests). Do it for a week or so, then go out to eat on the proceeds. 8)

That was back when there was a New Orleans. Maybe I'll do it yet.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #32

Java GUI programming. Yeah, I'm a sick puppy.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I'm working on learning flatpick/old-time/bluegrass guitar.* I can play some basic rhythms and melodies but when I listen to the experts (Doc Watson, Clarence White, Tony Rice) it sounds like they are playing at twice the tempo. It's a race against time.... muscle memory vs. fatigue/age.
A rerun of the Doc Watson concert done on "Tentshow Radio" a year or two ago is playing on one of our public radio outlets tonight.* Doc is in his 80's now, but he still can pick! Thank goodness he didn't RE from playing that flat top box!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:07 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I have a 1972 white Telecaster with maple neck. I am a drummer, not a guitarist. I bought this back then from my BIL who was leaving town and I just hung on to it.

It has some damage to the finish below the pick guard. Otherwise in great shape physically and electronically. Maybe I could post a pic, and some of you guitar guys could advise me as to how to market it to get the best price.

I would like to put my collector $$s into more hand made Turkish cymbals. (Not because I think they are a particularly good investment, just because I like all the different sounds.)

Ha
Old 04-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A rerun of the Doc Watson concert done on "Tentshow Radio" a year or two ago is playing on one of our public radio outlets tonight.* Doc is in his 80's now, but he still can pick! Thank goodness he didn't RE from playing that flat top box!
I saw Doc back when his son Merle was alive and they toured together. This was about 69 or 70, in a pretty small club on Melrose Ave in LA called the Ash Grove. My wife was an excellent guitarist of the finger pickin' style, and we caught so many great blues acts as well as country type like Doc.

She (my wife) jammed with Mance Lipscomb one night, and also after hours with Lighting Hopkins, (who played a white Tele.)*

That was such a cool club- I think we paid $3 each to get in. No room or license for dancing or drinking, but man it was outtasight for listening. Another great act I heard there was Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, when they were young and touring together.

Damn, I would like to be young and doing fun stuff like this almost every night again.

Ha
Old 04-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Damn, I would like to be young and doing fun stuff like this almost every night again.

You got that right Ha!

Since you mention Chicago artists Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, DW and I spent 2 - 3 evenings a week hitting the clubs on Wells Street, in Old Town and on the south side in the 60's listening to live acoustic music.......... folk, jazz and blues.* Chicago is still a good town for live music, but not quite like it was then.

Despite the fact that I am a huge fan of outdoor sports, fishing, canoeing, etc., it's tough trying to decide to up and move to a rural location for RE.* It would be hard to give up the availability of live music and entertainment anytime you want, even weeknights.* Of course, it's hard giving up living on a good walleye lake and having your boat tied up a few feet from the house ready to go..........

Too bad I can't afford a highrise condo in Chicago and a house on a lake in Minnestoa and still retire early.* Darn!

Old 04-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #37

Yakers...

I'm interested in some kayak info also. I've registered for a basic 12 hour kayak class in June, but would appreciate any suggestions. I'll PM you with my specifics.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #38

Quote:
A rerun of the Doc Watson concert done on "Tentshow Radio" a year or two ago is playing on one of our public radio outlets tonight. Doc is in his 80's now, but he still can pick! Thank goodness he didn't RE from playing that flat top box!
Doc Watson is one of my favorite entertainers. Seems like he's only slowed down in the last 2-3 years. He's incredible at both fingerstyle and flatpicking. He's also a very warm and humble man. I shook his hand at a folk festival in upstate NY in the early 80s. In an interview he said that if he wasn't blind he'd would have been an electrical engineer!

I bet that J45 is sweet! You might want to consider humidifying the room where it lives in the winter. I learned this one the hard way.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
You will be eaten by a shark the size of a school bus. I saw it in a movie, so it must be true.
Back if February a 25 ft tiger shark bumbed a kayak on the south side of Maui.

If you're out surfing and see a shark do you tell the others? People here don't seem to agree.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
She (my wife) jammed with Mance Lipscomb one night
That's very cool!! I can actually fake it through a few of his songs. Did you ever catch Mississipi John Hurt? He's another favorite of mine.