Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
A friend of mine returned yesterday morning from taking his family on a Disney cruise out of Galveston. We were having a group ROMEO coffee meeting this morning and we were discussing the food on the ship and the types of people who go on these expensive Disney cruise ships. He said that (coining a new phrase) he saw what he calls people who were so obese that they "just ate themselves into a wheelchair". He calls them "wheelchair fat". Good thing there were elevators on the ship was another comment.
Just returned from Disney and we were surprised and saddened to see so many obese adults riding around the parks on motorized scooters. We averaged 11 miles/day on foot at the parks.

Venmo - daughter and friends use it daily to share Uber fares, etc. It even has a feature that allows you to send a reminder invoice if your buddies forget to pay you.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 04:40 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Venmo with my daughters occasionally, mostly because they prefer it. For instance, we all chip in together to send a gift to a bridal shower for one of the cousins out of state. One of us buys it online and has it shipped directly to the party. The other two can very easily reimburse the buyer with a few thumb taps. No looking for stamps, writing checks, or addressing envelopes.

It’s also much easier when splitting a check. One person pays with a debit or credit card, friends chip in via Venmo. Totally cashless.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:52 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's a brand of shirts called Untuckit but they are $80 and were too much for me.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:13 AM   #24

I don't quite understand the Venmo way of getting money. I guess I've nothing against , I have never even heard of it. I will ask my niece about it. See what she says about it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Email and Facebook as passe. My younger brother's children, especially, look at email and Facebook as antiquated - services they maintain only to humor their older aunts and uncles.
My theory is that if an "app" method of communication/payment service was not invented during the youngsters short lifetime, it is considered "old school". Since FB, email and Paypal have been around awhile, there is no new "buzz" about them, they aren't cool, and they will begin the slow death.

And I personally, do not look forward to the next "great communication" technique....

Interesting enough, we have a fifty something relative who no longer emails, only texts and occasionally calls on the phone. She has said not to email her since she "isn't good at emails". Perhaps she picked that up from hanging out with her 20 something kids.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:31 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

Other new things you have become aware of?

Maybe not really new things, but...

1 - A certain fatalism. In the wake of the Equifax data breach, DW and I were tightening up security - putting credit freezes on, etc. The younger generation seemed to be less concerned...

2 - Comfort with fragmented and simple interactions. It’s common to talk about the short attention spans, gravitation toward “texting” as a primary means of communication, etc., but it goes beyond that. To fully develop a thought, to make subtle distinctions, to resist the appeal of oversimplifying a quick response... these are not popular activities.

Maybe it has always been so... and sample size skews observations... but these traits do seem a little more pronounced in the younger generations.
TimeMeasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Generally we use the elevators once per crossing..but we have observed numerous people using the elevator to go down ONE deck!
It's not just on cruise ships. In many hotels and office buildings, literally everyone uses the elevators to go up or down one or a few floors.

For a while I was helping put on conferences. I learned that the best way to get around quickly in a hotel is the stairs. But you have to be careful, in some stairways the doors on the upper floors lock from the outside, so you can only exit on the ground floor. I make it a habit to check.

I was in a hotel a couple of weeks ago, on the 3rd floor. There was a stairway nearby, but elevators only at the far ends of the hallway.

I asked a worker if the stair doors locked automatically. They looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I then asked if it was OK to use these stairs to get to the lobby. Again, a blank stare. Obviously no-one had ever even considered doing that before.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
A friend of mine returned yesterday morning from taking his family on a Disney cruise out of Galveston. We were having a group ROMEO coffee meeting this morning and we were discussing the food on the ship and the types of people who go on these expensive Disney cruise ships. He said that (coining a new phrase) he saw what he calls people who were so obese that they "just ate themselves into a wheelchair". He calls them "wheelchair fat". Good thing there were elevators on the ship was another comment.
Makes the rest of us look good.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Psst......Sansabelt slacks are making a comeback.

Home of the Original Sansabelt | Waist Sizes 30-70 - SANSABELT.COM
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Kind Sir, the gentlemen who you erroneously and disparagingly call rednecks are not even close to comprising all the overweight and obese men in America. Ditto for the women. Being fat is a nationwide issue. And there are class divides, but not really race. While it may be accepted to dump on white men, and since clearly the term redneck calls for a white person who is likely to get sunburned, I invite you to google these things to clear up your confusion.

Ha
Thank you. I am a Yankee (pronounced "damnyankee" in certain warmer climes) and a gentleman of substance (pronounced "fat"). I was delighted when the fashion trend went to untucked shirts.

Certain shirts like my favorite L.L Bean chamois really shouldn't be tucked in - the fabric is too thick.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I text my kids instead of emailing them. Venmo - no. None of my peers use it. I started wearing my shirt tails out a decade or more ago when my son told me I didn't look cool. Now, unless I am wearing a suit, I feel funny with my shirts tucked in and notice it when my peers wear them tucked. Objectively I can see tucked as a better, crisper look but I just don't like it on me. Jeans are that way too. I like being dressed less formally, i.e jeans, than in casual slacks like Dockers, cords, or whatever even though I can see that the Dockers are a theoretically "better" look. I intentionally wear better slacks and button shirts when I go out to dinner just to keep in practice.

By the way, if you pay attention you will see that most guys up to about 45 wear their shirt tails out and an increasing number of 60+ers do as well. It's just a matter of time before you all get on board.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #32
Administrator

Casual = untucked has always been my default mode, and I'm sure glad fashion has finally caught up with me on that.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
By the way, if you pay attention you will see that most guys up to about 45 wear their shirt tails out and an increasing number of 60+ers do as well. It's just a matter of time before you all get on board.
I've been into untucked recently. It feels casual. I'm slim so it's not really necessary.

Today I'm tucked because I have a knit shirt that is very long and doesn't really work not tucked in. Plus I get to show off my silver tipped western buckle.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I've been into untucked recently. It feels casual. I'm slim so it's not really necessary.

Today I'm tucked because I have a knit shirt that is very long and doesn't really work tucked in. Plus I get to show off my silver tipped western buckle.
I'm slim too and find myself buying trim fit shirts since they look better untucked than full fit drapes.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Cash? What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
O Or if you see the person you can (gasp) just give the friend cash.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

We were at Disney in February. Virtually everybody over 60, except ourselves, seemed to be using the scooters. Not all were fat by any means. Plenty of them were able to hop on and off those scooters as briskly as if everything worked right and nothing hurt. But it sure helped them get the best front seats at things like the Lion King show, and to zoom away when the show was over. I started to feel like we were chumps for not using scooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
Just returned from Disney and we were surprised and saddened to see so many obese adults riding around the parks on motorized scooters. .
Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

No joke! A tall man's shirt is like a short dress on me. Of course I wouldn't do this nowadays, but back in the day I used to run around in boyfriend's or dad's old (untucked) shirt with short-shorts underneath, feeling perfectly modest because "everything's covered"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Vt (if the shirt is too long -like in the photo above- you might look like you are wearing a skirt).
Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #38

I like to wear what used to be called “sports jackets”. I just like having a jacket on when we go out for a nice meal. An untucked shirt looks “dorky” under a jacket in my view. I know this “dates” me but I still think I know what looks good.

We went out for drinks to a local hot spot thanksgiving eve (El Chorros in Phoenix). The place was jammed mostly with “older” people (50’s-60’s). The women were all dressed up and generally looked great. Most of the men were fat guys with their shirts out. I like to look a little better when I go out. Old fashioned I guess.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #39

I started the untucked trend about 30 years ago. Just took a while to catch on....but I never gave up....
Old 11-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
There's a brand of shirts called Untuckit but they are $80 and were too much for me.
I've never understood how this company exists or makes money. I can buy a $20-$40 shirt and pay a tailor $10 to hem it. Do people not realize that tailors still exist? They are usually a good person to get to know. As I lost weight, the tailor saved my hundreds of dollars by resizing my suits for $30-$50 versus me buying new cloths until I stabilized.

On the weight issue, it's obviously not just Disney. I've had my trouble with weight, but I would think that if I couldn't walk because of it, I would get motivated to change. I look around in the building where I work (large office building with many companies) and the percentage of people who are significantly overweight is scary. Similar to money, I may not have all I need/want, but I have enough to do better than most (some larger percentage). I may not be at my ideal weight, but I'm certainly doing better than a lot of people and I'm sad for them how bad their life is going to be as they age.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote