New Windows~the kind in your house

I've done quite a bit of window work over the years, mostly new construction or major renovation which allowed me to use "new construction" type windows, rather than "replacement windows", such as Pella aluminum-wrapped wood, Weathershield, and other brands I don't remember. Most of it is irrelevant to intense-sun southern brick construction that goes on here.

Here I had dark bronze-colored aluminum frame windows, various grades have been used for years in new houses around here. They were narrow-spaced insulating glass, and created before thermal breaks. All single-hung, or fixed.

Materials - I talked with installers around here, they had stories of plastic (vinyl, PVC) windows sagging in the heat, especially wider windows, and custom's like large fan-lights, etc. The plastic windows are only available in white or very light colors to try to minimize the softening plastic problem. I did not want white, I wanted the dark bronze look, and I wanted strong durable quality windows. I asked around, as to who they would use in their house, if price was not a big issue. They said DYC aluminum frame, thermally broken. No plastic glazing bead on the outside to weather, the glass installs from the inside, different than most windows. Tilt-in sash for cleaning, screens remove from the inside. They are the 8200-series.

I visited the company's main sales office and factory in Dallas, and I knew someone who already had the windows installed for some years. They deal wholesale only, so they would not sell to me directly - darn! I asked for a few local window companies that they distribute to, and picked one to do the install. Around $11k for over 20 windows a few years ago, some of the windows are 8' tall. Most are setup as "replacement" windows, as they are in brick. The others I had them order with the nailing flange ("new construction"), as I was renovating wood siding areas, ripping off siding and replacing sheathing. I actually did the renovation work partially, and just screwed back on the old windows over the new sheathing till the new windows arrived.
These windows have wide, strong aluminum frames, 3/4" insulating low-e glass, metal parts everywhere. Definitely burglar-resistant.

Removal/Installation in brick. In original construction around here, the original aluminum windows had nailing flanges on them, and they were nailed through the sheathing into the studs on both sides of the window rough opening. Then the house was bricked, keeping the nominal 1" air space behind brick. Bricks were brought up just shy of the window frames, and mortared.
To remove window in brick, the glazing units are removed first. The poor method is a suction cup is attached and someone breaks the glass. Once enough shards are removed, the sash can be pulled out. The better method is one person inside pushes out, while another on the outside heats up the glass edge and old glazing bead with a torch. Once the bead is out, the glass is heated to soften the mastic, and then the glazing unit can be pushed and pulled out, usually in one piece, no shards.
Either way, once out, a thin pry bar is inserted into the frame about mid-way up, and the frame is bent inward enough to cut it with a reciprocating saw. Once cut, grabbing the frame end with pliers and using the pry bar, the window frame is ripped off of the nails that attached it to the house framing, working all around in a circle.

The "replacement" windows do not have a nailing flange, as there is no way to install a window with one, and no way to nail it. So a closed-cell foam insulating tape is wrapped around the new windows frame, and the new window is inserted into the opening. Once plumbed, a few screws are driven at an angle through the top and bottom of the window frame into header and rough sill (this is inside the window opening, not seen). Then the exterior frame is silicone-caulked to the brick with a matching color all the way around. Once that caulk cures, there is no way that window unit is coming out without major cutting and banging (I have seen it!)

For the "new construction" windows I needed, they were "replacement" windows that we slid in factory-supplied aluminum nailing flanges into the frame extrusions all the way around. They were just flange stock, we cut to length. I say "we", as the installers knew how to do replacements, but no matter how much they told me that had done new construction, they didn't. I always had to stop them, about to put a window up without the 6" wide sealing tape on the rough sill over the sheathing, or forgetting about putting a thin bead of silicone caulk on the back of all nailing flanges. It was easier for me to do it myself, they just lifted the window into the opening and plumbed it when I told them to.

I'm happy with the windows, I like the sturdy commercial look, and there have been no problems.

Sorry for writing a book here, but thought some may like to see some of the behind-the-scenes on windows.

Last edited:
Timely subject. I need to do my windows also since they are not hurricane rated and I'd prefer to forgo using plywood. 13 average sized windows for 14k ....

Timely subject. I need to do my windows also since they are not hurricane rated and I'd prefer to forgo using plywood. 13 average sized windows for 14k ....

I really would get a quote from Pella, they are the best...it is one of the items in the house I like the most as far as construction goes...

We were looking at mid-range vinyl replacements and had settled on the Simonton windows.

I think that is the name of our windows and they said Corning makes them.

Last edited:
As you are doing your homework, I would suggest you consider impact windows. Besides from extra security they help reduce the outside noise level in your home. Also would do the energy star windows as well.

Replaced 19 of them last December…did my own research at the big box stores and the 2 main builder supply stores…made a decision on which windows and could have purchased them directly from the builder supply store BUT ONLY if I was doing the install….rather than play any games, I merely asked if they might supply recommendations for installers….got 3 or 4 and settled on a good ole boy who was not the cheapest and not the most expensive…

Bought mid grade Simonton Prism to replace 45 year old windows…one of the best things we ever did….noticable noise reduction….too earlier to be sure about heating and AC cost reductions BUT I have the thermostat set higher (up and down) this Spring and the comfort level is as good or better than before…

Hope things work as well for you!

I have Andersons in my current residence. I am impressed with how thermally and acoustically insulating they are.

Thanks for all of the comments and ideas to my original post.

We finally have decided to replace all of our windows with fiberglass constructed windows. Didn't like the look or quality of the vinyl windows. The one that we preferred were Infinity by Marvin ~ 20 windows for <$18K.

They had all of specific options and quality that we were looking for plus a few others that we learned about along the way. We looked @ 3 other companies and the range was $8K- $25K.

Thanks for all of the comments and ideas to my original post.

We finally have decided to replace all of our windows with fiberglass constructed windows. Didn't like the look or quality of the vinyl windows. The one that we preferred were Infinity by Marvin ~ 20 windows for <$18K.

They had all of specific options and quality that we were looking for plus a few others that we learned about along the way. We looked @ 3 other companies and the range was $8K- $25K.

They sound perfect! Your cost is in the ballpark of what our old-fashioned extremely old double-hung windows cost to replace per window in 2009 and to replace four 25 year old casement windows with double-hung last year with exterior vinyl-clad wood Pella. Worth every penny in quiet, no more drafts, and overall coziness in general.

I am starting the research as we are looking to replace our 30 (25 year old) windows. Aluminum, minimalist framed, double paned w/Argon gas which has failed in probably half of them in the last 2-3 years. We had replaced 4 windows about 13 years ago, but only the glass, not the entire window. I love the idea of being able to clean the windows from the inside so am looking at replacing the entire window rather than just the panes.

Was at a home show yesterday and talked to what I though was Renewal by Anderson, but learned, once I got home, that they are a general contractor, so am not sure what Renewal is vs. plain Andersen windows...a franchise?

When I asked what type of windows they offer allowing inside cleaning, he suggested 'self cleaning' windows. I almost burst out laughing until I realized he was dead serious. Apparently there is an oxide coating they spray on that repels the dirt. Has anyone heard of or have experience with how this works? I am very tempted to try this one the 2nd story windows.

Our sliding glass door has a coating that repels dirt and water spots. I had my doubts but it really does work.

+1 For Marvin windows.

We had 8 old Anderson double pane, double hungs replaced. Even with storm windows they leaked like a sieve.

The Marvins are custom built low E, triple pane. They hinge and open in. One lever for locking/unlocking and for tilt or opening selection. The inward opening was DW's requirement. Easy to clean both sides standing inside. The also have the tilt in capability, leaving a 4" gap at the top for ventilation, still keeping rain out. Of course removable screens came with it. Pretty expensive, worth every nickel.

A contractor recommended by Marvin did job.

We also replaced 4 doors, again by Marvin. A spplendid company to deal with.

FWIW - select the window manufacturer first, then ask for their recommended installers. Then get quotes.

Our sliding glass door has a coating that repels dirt and water spots. I had my doubts but it really does work.

Thanks Sue. I did a lot of reading last night and this coating requires sunlight for chemical actions that need to take place for the coating to work. Not sure how much and if indirect is OK. Sun will be no problem for our south and west facing windows. However, our east facing windows get limited direct sunlight and I'm not sure about some of our north facing ones. Will check on that today and will have to do some more research. I LOVE the thought though!

+1 For Marvin windows.

We had 8 old Anderson double pane, double hungs replaced. Even with storm windows they leaked like a sieve.

The Marvins are custom built low E, triple pane. They hinge and open in. One lever for locking/unlocking and for tilt or opening selection. The inward opening was DW's requirement. Easy to clean both sides standing inside. The also have the tilt in capability, leaving a 4" gap at the top for ventilation, still keeping rain out. Of course removable screens came with it. Pretty expensive, worth every nickel.

A contractor recommended by Marvin did job.

We also replaced 4 doors, again by Marvin. A spplendid company to deal with.

FWIW - select the window manufacturer first, then ask for their recommended installers. Then get quotes.

Thanks Is99...I've just started the research and made an appt with what I thought was Renewal by Anderson at the local home show. Found out that it's actually a general contractor. Haven't checked them out yet, but plan on canceling that appt. At a local women's expo this weekend, they had a different Andersen vendor and she claimed they are a franchise and they install in our area (SF Bay Area) exclusively :face palm:.

Home Depot was also represented at the Women's Expo and sells a number of brands, I am making an appt for them to come out to see what they have.

As I have some specific needs, I will be checking out many of the major brands and will be selecting the one that best meets our needs, reliability being at the top. Our local Nextdoor has a number of recommendations for installers. I plan on contacting those recommended by more than one neighbor.

It sounds like your Andersen windows had an issue with the installation. I'm surprised Andersen won't make it right.

DH, an architect, has used Andersen in both of our homes. When an issue arose Andersen fixed it.

The window itself is only half the issue when you replace, you need to make sure that they are properly installed and flashing is done correctly. You really want a knowledgeable crew and that the contractor is approved by the manufacturer if they have that process. This is a construction craft worthy of using Angie's List.

If there is a seasoned architect (someone retired, an old salt in the construction business) in the neighborhood pay him/her to make onsite observations during the installation process and raise a red flag if the work isn't being properly done.

Last edited:
Re: Andersons were installed at new construction of the house c 1974. We bought it about 7 years ago. The leaks were at all the wood seams, I suppose new gasketing would have fixed it. We wanted to do away with the double hung setup and the storm windows.

Also the triple pane cuts all outside noise short of explosions, ie kiddie cars with fart mufflers an harleys. Low E keeps summer heat out winter heat in.

Brat, excellent idea about having someone knowledgeable oversee the install. We are finalizing the design of the master bath remodel which includes moving 2 of the 3 windows. We plan on coordinating those window installs with the whole house install so possibly our GC could handle that?

Spent some time online earlier today and found an 'authorized installer' for several brands that has a showroom about 10 miles away. Plan on visiting them this week.

I have a subscription to online Consumer Reports and will take a look at their window ratings.

I spent a good day or so this week visiting showrooms, etc. One of the companies stated 80 - 90% of their installs are retrofits. Other than adding bulk, there are supposedly no other downsides. Has anyone done this type of install? At about $200/window less than full install, the savings on 30 windows are substantial.

I spent a good day or so this week visiting showrooms, etc. One of the companies stated 80 - 90% of their installs are retrofits. Other than adding bulk, there are supposedly no other downsides. Has anyone done this type of install? At about $200/window less than full install, the savings on 30 windows are substantial.

Are you talking about "insert" or "replacment" windows like these? They're fine. We've got nine or 10 of them in our house. Most (if not all) vinyl windows are inserts, although you can also get them in wood, like the Marvins.

If you've got a showpiece window, you'd probably want to do a full replacement, but inserts are cheaper, install quickly and don't require restoration of interior and exterior trim when you're done. Win-win.

Are you talking about "insert" or "replacment" windows like these? They're fine. We've got nine or 10 of them in our house. Most (if not all) vinyl windows are inserts, although you can also get them in wood, like the Marvins.

If you've got a showpiece window, you'd probably want to do a full replacement, but inserts are cheaper, install quickly and don't require restoration of interior and exterior trim when you're done. Win-win.

Retrofit is hard to explain, but appear to be the 'inserts' you describe. In fact, I had to have the salesperson show me to fully understand the concept. In retrofit, our aluminum frame would stay in place and the new window, including its frame, would be placed over our existing frame. We would lose glass in that the framing would be thicker than if they replaced the entire window, removing our existing aluminum framing. Would definitely not want this on our large fixed windows.

This company, which I've scratched off, would also need to install expensive scaffolding to replace our 2nd floor windows. The advantage of retrofit, as you stated, is easy install from the inside only, not messing with the trim. We will most likely do some mix and match to minimize the cost. In addition to the 30 windows, we also need to replace a sliding glass door as well as the sidelight and transom above the front door...so at about $1K per window, ouch!

Back
Top Bottom