Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

DH came down with the flu this week and he's laying (very) low. I've managed to avoid symptoms so far, but I'm staying home so as not to spread the joy. We'll have dinner and he'll most likely hit the sack soon thereafter, and I'll probably spend the rest of the evening catching up on my Netflix queue.

Not a particularly memorable way to ring in our first post-FIRE New Year, but so be it. We'll make up for missed time soon enough!

Cheers, all.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Staying home with DH, my mother (who is visiting) and my daughter. Son is at a party at a friend's house and will stay over so he doesn't have to drive during the middle of the night tonight.

I am working on closing out the 2013 budget and doing more work to set up 2014.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like many here would agree with this view of NYE The Worst Holiday: New Year's Eve Is Overhyped and Anticlimactic - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic, and I do as well.

But we always go out, since it's our anniversary dinner. It's nice that everyone puts on parties for us.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #24
Administrator

Staying in, as we have every New Year's Eve since 1987. The young wife is preparing dinner --

salad greens with sliced pear, goat cheese and toasted pecans drizzled with balsamic dressing

roasted frenched rack of lamb with an herb crust, roasted fingerling potatoes and artichoke hearts

a nice cabernet

We save the Champagne for brunch tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are heading out soon (by mass transit). We will eat dinner out then walk around downtown Portland and view the white lights and people watch, then be home before 10pm.

It is also our 26th anniversary today.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Congratulations, Helen. May you enjoy many more years together.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
We are heading out soon (by mass transit). We will eat dinner out then walk around downtown Portland and view the white lights and people watch, then be home before 10pm.

Big congrats on the 26th!!!!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just returned from dinner at an oceanfront restaurant about 1/4 mile walk down the beach - had blackened fish, scallops, and shrimp with steamed veggies (and a couple of draft beers). Will definitely be in bed before the new year arrives since Coal makes sure I am up for our morning walk around 6 a.m. I quit driving on New Year's eve many years ago.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #29

I had unit coverage today in my office...very quiet but we had to evacuate the building due to a fire alarm just below closing (very cold!) I have been looking forward to getting in my flannel pajamas all day and taking up residence on the sofa with a blanket (mission accomplished).

I made a small Boboli pizza with fresh mushrooms for dinner...might have a gin and tonic later if I don't fall asleep first. I'm meeting a retired co-worker and her husband for an early dinner tomorrow.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Alas no partying for me....maybe in my dreams....

Y'all be safe.....see ya next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (7.4 KB, 136 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #31

Updated our Gainskeeper totals and calculated our increase from Year End 2012 to Year End 2013. We're safe for next year....and a few years after that.

Donated to Wikipedia. I love Wikipedia.

Hunkered down watching the CSI Miami Binge-A-Thon. Law & Order starts at midnight which is good news for me and bad news for DH!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Staying home watching football. May sip on a little wine.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Staying at home. Just finished some stuffed mushrooms DW put together.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Hanging out with DH, three dogs, and a sleeping baby.

Happy new year!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1388541603.536260.jpg
Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Staying in tonight. Watching football. Dinner was red beans and rice, turkey, sauteed cabbage and washed down with Miller Lite.

I already updated all of my spreadsheets for 2013 but still have to build for 2014. Right now the fireworks are all around me so at midnight we'll probably go outside and watch and listen for a while.

Happy New Year to you all.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

After four days of babysitting a 6 month old, a three year old, and a hyperactive dog while DS and DDinLaw were in Jamaica, we are laying low. We are exhausted (I am reminded why we have our kids at a young age!). Our good friends, who coincidently, we're hosting their sons young family, caught nasty colds. We were supposed to lay low together. We decided to replay the New Years Eve celebration at a later date, when we all can enjoy it. After all, it is just a day, when you are FIRE'd, any day will suffice!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #37

Staying in. SO coming over after she gets off work. She won't be here until close to midnight. The fridge is full of beer, wine, cheeses and other goodies!

Tomorrow morning we'll load up the crockpot with all the ingredients for a tasty seafood gumbo which we'll eat in the early evening, after it has cooked for 6-8 hours.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #38

In and for the first time I can remember (maybe ever) all by myself. Visiting my Mom in PA who just moved into a nursing home, hopefully for rehab but based on my visit today, it may be permanent.

Staying at my sister's house, but she is away at an overnight party. Watching football on TV with a glass of bubbly, enjoying Duke showing Texas A&M how to play the game, at least in the first half. Who knows what happens in the 2nd half. Would rather be in a sports bar in TX!

Happy 2014!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Went out for pizza with DW and MIL. Now at home for the rest of the night watching brew dogs.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #40

Son, daughter-in-law and 3 year old granddaughter are here. DW made a nice shrimp dinner, had a few glasses of wine and will now attempt to stay awake until midnight. My idea of a great New Years Eve.